PDA

View Full Version : Car tops out at like 85MPH...

Josh89accord
03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey guys, I had my preivious engine, and i was running over 100 for sure, if not like 120. but this new engine i have seems to get to about 80-85 and it wont push anymore... Is there anything that I can do to fix this? Engine was suppost to be in better condition than the previous one.

accordion89
03-15-2009, 06:49 PM
I dont know, but I will reply to put it on top of the topics list

Pico
03-15-2009, 06:51 PM
I suggest taking a compression test

Civic Accord Honda
03-15-2009, 06:53 PM
X2,,,my 3g used to be able to get to 120...

accordion89
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
i took a pic of me doing 115-stock in montana VVVVVVVVV link

russiankid
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
What happens at 85mph?

Josh89accord
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
basicaly the eninge sounds like its trying to go more, but it cant...

Pico
03-15-2009, 07:17 PM
what are your RPM readings at when it tops out at 85 and what gear are you in

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
your engine obviously can't breathe...it's like having asthma man, you could pull more air but the restriction in your lungs doesn't help. SO, free up the intake and buy a cam that compliments the fuel system your car's presently running...i mean, you can't go wrong with $120 for a cam that'll make a WORLD of a difference

Josh89accord
03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
what are your RPM readings at when it tops out at 85 and what gear are you in

My rpm's are at 4k's and im in fourth since as of now, i don't have a fifth.

Josh89accord
03-15-2009, 07:26 PM
your engine obviously can't breathe...it's like having asthma man, you could pull more air but the restriction in your lungs doesn't help. SO, free up the intake and buy a cam that compliments the fuel system your car's presently running...i mean, you can't go wrong with $120 for a cam that'll make a WORLD of a difference

I've got a short ram intake on it right now. so you think a cam will make a huge difference? Thats what I plan on buying next...

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 07:29 PM
fuck yeah it'll make a world of a difference, i bought mine from Delta (dyno numbers were before the cam) but you notice a less of a struggle when a load's being put on the motor i.e when you're on the highway and throw it in fourth and put the pedal to the floor. i had no problem going from 50-110 mph merging onto the interstate.

Civic Accord Honda
03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
my car hit 120 something with stock intake and a dirty filter only thing done to it at the time was power steering and ac delete so if yours cant past 80 theres something up so i would recommend finding out whats wrong before u go buying a cam

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
well if the other engine hit over 100,then something is wrong with this one. need to go through and check the compression and check your basic tune up stuff too. also make sure the timing is right and if needed check to make sure the timing belt isn't installed off. if your timing is set retarded you will lose a lot of power.

Josh89accord
03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
I just redid my timing the other day, I've got it set at 15 degrees advance and the ignition timing at +2 degrees.

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 07:37 PM
you need to check your belt timing and see if it's off,the valve timing,also check your fuel filters and basic items like that. a partially clogged filter will cause a loss of power at higher rpms.

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
my car hit 120 something with stock intake and a dirty filter only thing done to it at the time was power steering and ac delete so if yours cant past 80 theres something up so i would recommend finding out whats wrong before u go buying a cam

we're not looking to sit at WOT for over a mile trying to acheive 120-mph...i say restrictor plate! haha

Josh89accord
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
you need to check your belt timing and see if it's off,the valve timing,also check your fuel filters and basic items like that. a partially clogged filter will cause a loss of power at higher rpms.

As in timing belt? just re-did that at 15 deg. advanced. The fuel filter is fine, I had it replaced about two months ago along with the fuel pump.

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 07:48 PM
As in timing belt? just re-did that at 15 deg. advanced. The fuel filter is fine, I had it replaced about two months ago along with the fuel pump.

i'm tellin' you man...something's clogged. there's NO way the car would be off a tooth on the timing belt since it'd run like ASS all the time, the only POSSIBLE thing is it could be your injectors maybe need cleaning?? run some GUM OUT on that bad boy...doesn't hurt. also use some sea foam, or whatever tickles your fancy my man

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 07:54 PM
check timing. my accord with the stock motor before rebuild climb to 130 with ease and smoking like hell...so idk. get a timming like and check it

88Accord-DX
03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
One last thing that no one mentioned is the catalytic converter could be partially clogged. You'd have to get a back pressure gauge to check it though the O2 sensor though.

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 08:04 PM
^^ very true

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
One last thing that no one mentioned is the catalytic converter could be partially clogged. You'd have to get a back pressure gauge to check it though the O2 sensor though.
you can check for something plugged in the exaust with a standard vaccume gauge. this is a really really good site,it shows the movement of the gauge itself. click on scenarip number 14 for a plugged exaust. this is the same as a plugged converter. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
now this couldn't be the full reason, but for temporary purposes i have a filter right on the throttle body, so in fourth gear accelerating to redline becomes difficult for the car to go any faster at 5700 rpms 'cause of the lack of velocity...so keep in mind not to use too short of a ram air intake...but clearly something's clogged or restricting air flow

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 10:43 PM
And also depends where you at. Seems like my car was faster and got up alot quicker in iowa. now here it was okay..but im boosted now so doesnt matter LOL.

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 10:45 PM
yeah, the difference in altitude here in Idaho doesn't help...down in TX we didn't have much problems sense we're SO close to sea level...it's NICE

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
get a vaccume gauge hook it to the engine, and note what it does,then consult that chart i posted. that will tell you all kinds of engine problems you might be having.

Josh89accord
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Already ran sea foam threw the engine, along with some gum out... it gets up there fastr but still does the exact same thing. I'm not sure

1987AccordLx-i
03-26-2009, 08:41 PM
carb'd or FI?

Josh89accord
03-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Fi

3rd Party
03-26-2009, 09:03 PM
maybe the rotor on your TB get stuck open at a certain point and isn't allowing enough air into the motor? so you end up getting stuck with a restricted airflow and going over 85-mph isn't going to happen

Oldblueaccord
03-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Thats a good point make sure that your TB is open 100% with your foot to the floor and work back from there.

wp

1987AccordLx-i
03-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Fi

try this... with the car off.. have someone push the gas open and close repeatedly and see if the butterfly is opening and closing 100% in the intake manifold

Dr_Snooz
03-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Am I the only one who read the part about him not having a 5th gear?

JordanQ
03-28-2009, 09:37 PM
no your not, and maybe its just us, but i think i remember something about cars not going full speed if you can't shift into the final gear :dunno:

lostforawhile
03-28-2009, 09:56 PM
no your not, and maybe its just us, but i think i remember something about cars not going full speed if you can't shift into the final gear :dunno:
no fifth is overdrive, you can hit maximum speed without fifth just have to keep the revs higher.

AccordB20A
03-28-2009, 10:24 PM
indeed ive done 100mph in 4th with a carbed a20a2 accord lol

2oodoor
03-29-2009, 07:43 AM

cough cough wheez...
smoke another one bra, these will do over 100 easy just bone stock:bong: lol

I would check that the throttle is actually going full open, and check the timing.

JordanQ
03-29-2009, 09:15 AM
no fifth is overdrive, you can hit maximum speed without fifth just have to keep the revs higher.

ohhhhhh

okay sorry:kekeke:

lostforawhile
03-29-2009, 09:23 AM
ohhhhhh

okay sorry:kekeke:yea fifth is really a fuel saver, if you are on a long drive at high speed, the engine is actually turning slower then the output shaft so you lose a lot of torque,but once you are moving it doesn't take a lot to maintain your speed on a level grade. anytime the engine is slower then the output shaft speed you have negative torque multiplication. vs positive torque multiplication when the engine speed is higher then the output shaft speed.

Josh89accord
04-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Butterfly opens completly... and i have a short ram intake on it currently with less than 2,000 miles on a spectre cone air filter. I also just had the exhaust redone to 2 1/4 inch, and it gets up and moves faster, but still, tops out about the same... My ecu is also throwing a code 13, which is a air baro pressure sensor... And I look where its suppost to be, and its not there, and theres no wire pigtail to plug a air baro sensor in.

Nafs Asdf
04-18-2009, 12:26 PM
If the ECU is throwing a code it's in limp mode, which could be the reason your not getting over 85 mph...

Josh89accord
04-18-2009, 02:10 PM
ohh really? How do you reset the ECU?

AZmike
04-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Pull the radio fuze or disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds.

Oldblueaccord
04-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Butterfly opens completly... and i have a short ram intake on it currently with less than 2,000 miles on a spectre cone air filter. I also just had the exhaust redone to 2 1/4 inch, and it gets up and moves faster, but still, tops out about the same... My ecu is also throwing a code 13, which is a air baro pressure sensor... And I look where its suppost to be, and its not there, and theres no wire pigtail to plug a air baro sensor in.

I think that sensor is under the dash?? Passenger side somewhere.

wp

ecogabriel
05-02-2009, 03:40 PM
My 2 cents:

When I got my Accord last year (1986, LX-i auto) one problem among the several little pesky issues it had was that it would not idle correctly. It would do so for a minute or two, then start stumbling and after another couple of minutes it would die. Besides, the engine would not go too far beyond 5K without starting to fail, rattling and not being able to climb on RPMs... NO other problem; the car had good acceleration.

The cause for both: timing belt. When I removed the front covers to replace all the seals (all leaking) and do the timing belt, I checked the timing. It turned out that the engine was not at TDC (the T mark on the flywheel, generally white) but at the IGNITION TIMING mark (the red one). I checked and re-checked. SO my valves were working 15 degrees more advanced than were they should have been. Going over the documentation of the car (repair receipts) the last time the timing belt was replaced it was done at a HONDA dealership!
To make the story short, I set the new timing belt at its right setting. No more idling problems, no more high RPM issues; I can leave the car running at idle for as much as I please (not too much as I do not want to waste gas LOL) and now it can redline without problem.

I would say check the timing belt as per service manual and make sure that piston 1 is TDC and marks on camshaft sprocket are aligned with the top of the cylinder head (more details on the manual anyway)

As for the car not having a working 5th gear, I used to have a VW that would not get top speed unless it was in 5th gear, and both 4th and 5th gear were overdrive (4th was almost 1 to 1, but 5th was more of 0.8 to 1 kind of thing) So it is possible that you may still need 5th to get to top speed.... I do not recall whether you said you reached 100+ in 4th with the old engine or not.

Again, my 2 cents. Hope it helps.