PDA

View Full Version : always use your jackstands people!!

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 06:42 PM
I put this in general because it's so important. Guy on another site i belong too just saved his friends life because the friend was taking short cuts and not using a jackstand. car fell on him. here's the link. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343663 always always use them!!!! want everyone here to enjoy working on their cars and be safe. this needs to be a sticky. this is so important.

Civic Accord Honda
03-15-2009, 06:46 PM
yeah def use them i had my civic fall on my legs due to a faulty jack .. now i wont even do anything under the car unless it has jackstands under it and bricks behind the wheels

accordion89
03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
I always use jackstands, I have a easy question thats not fully-explained in my haynes manual, I have jacked my car up from the back before but not sure if I know where the jack points are for the front and back, I just taped the bottom with my hand and found the most solid sounding center point

ghettogeddy
03-15-2009, 06:50 PM
there is a jack point int he rear its a lil hump and in the front anything on the cross member is ok

no for me anywere i can get a jack under is doable but i have to use 2 jacks to rasie my car fornt or back lol

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 06:51 PM
yep if you have it under the jack you are probably relying on some chinese made internal hydraulic parts to keep you alive. not worth it. and spend the money on quality jack stands not the walmart specials

accordion89
03-15-2009, 06:54 PM
good, I jacked from the little hump, lol

some dirt came off too!

ghettogeddy
03-15-2009, 06:54 PM
yep if you have it under the jack you are probably relying on some chinese made internal hydraulic parts to keep you alive. not worth it. and spend the money on quality jack stands not the walmart specials

kragen special ftw

i lost my last set when the lx went to the jy

i did not put the fornt suspension back on so i did not bother taking them out thinking they would just fall out io had the guy pull the car off with them under

smashed flat as a pancake

accordion89
03-15-2009, 06:55 PM
I have craftman jacks, that are made in china :/

Civic Accord Honda
03-15-2009, 07:35 PM
my new jack is craftsmen , and i have 2 sets of walmart jacks.. i allways stick some tires under the car too just to be on the safe side though lol

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
my new jack is craftsmen , and i have 2 sets of walmart jacks.. i allways stick some tires under the car too just to be on the safe side though lol

i'm glad you are using your head, you could have crushed your legs when you dropped the car on them before. POINK!right between the eyes,three stooges style.

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
what really made me nauseated was reading about the guy who got killed dropping the rear end pumkin on his head when the jack failed.

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 07:43 PM
i'm not trying to be a douche here, but if you're not using a jack stands when you're getting under your car you SHOULDN'T be working on cars. but here's the GET, that's gotta be a strong motherfucker to pull the car off the jack unless he just lifted it at a bad point...just my $.02

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks man...i always used jack stands since i went to auto tech courses. Always always use em

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
i'm not trying to be a douche here, but if you're not using a jack stands when you're getting under your car you SHOULDN'T be working on cars. but here's the GET, that's gotta be a strong motherfucker to pull the car off the jack unless he just lifted it at a bad point...just my $.02i think the jack shook,it happens all the time. if it's at a bad angle it can come right off of the jack. i see the mexicans all the time working under four bumper jacks, it's a wonder more of them aren't dead. talking about the little scissor jacks that are for changing a tire.

accordion89
03-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I use jackstands and 2x4 bricks, just wasnt sure of the official jack point, I usally dont get under a car if I cant get anyone to stand around

accordion89
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
I use jackstands and 2x4 bricks, just wasnt sure of the official jack point, I usally dont get under a car if I cant get anyone to stand around

Oh, i forgot, need old e 40 too

j/k

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
you can shove a couple tires on rims behind the jackstands if you need to, extra security,but the problem with bricks is often they shatter. I wonder how many people have died from cinder blocks breaking under a car.

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
A you do what you have to do. if you dont have money like me back in the day we didnt use jack stands. i used to stock jack and we put the tire under the car when we took it off. thats what mexicans do ,we call that MEXICAN STYLE JACK STANDS. works i tell you that. i was working on my shadow fucking POS turn jack twisted and fell on the rim and tire. I WAS SHITING MY PANTS. lol oh i had 4x8 piece of wood i had laying around

A18A
03-15-2009, 08:26 PM
all i have (that's wporth using) to jack up a car is a bottle jack full of atf that came out of a mitsi, and cause mitsis always fail me, i'm extra saftey cautious. when it's fully extended it's like the car is held up by a pin or a nail, so yeah i always put a couple wheels under the car.

accordion89
03-15-2009, 08:30 PM
shouldnt work under a car without no one knowing

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 08:50 PM
shouldnt work under a car without no one knowingi have to a lot of times, keep a good set of jackstands under it,as well as a wheel and rim on each side. it's not moving.

accordion89
03-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Wheels would be more comforting, I have limited space so no extra set

codyJDM
03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I won't touch a car unless it is chocked and supported in the proper spots with jack stands. My life is worth more than the few extra seconds not putting jackstands under a car is. I don't care what anyone says, it is stupid and unsafe to not use them even when doing something small!!

Pico
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Jackstands are a must, especially when your crawling under a car.
If you have them take the extra 30sec. or so to use them, you'll be glad you did

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 09:47 PM
or you could spend $10k and get an in ground lift?

labeledsk8r
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM
another thing to remember is to be extra cautious about starting the car while still up on stands (such as for bleeding brakes etc) had a car that was left in gear get driven right off the stands and jack, lucky no one had there head under the wheel well at the time,

also remember to inspect your jacks and stands.. if you start to see a set of stands spliting STOP USEING THEM untill they can be repaired or replaced

labeledsk8r
03-15-2009, 10:26 PM
or you could spend $10k and get an in ground lift?

actully a semi good brand lift can be had for under 3k still a big stack of cash just to lift a car

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM
another thing to remember is to be extra cautious about starting the car while still up on stands (such as for bleeding brakes etc) had a car that was left in gear get driven right off the stands and jack, lucky no one had there head under the wheel well at the time,

also remember to inspect your jacks and stands.. if you start to see a set of stands spliting STOP USEING THEM untill they can be repaired or replaced
why are you starting the car to bleed the brakes?

labeledsk8r
03-15-2009, 10:30 PM
why are you starting the car to bleed the brakes?

becuse im lazy and like the help of the booster lol

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 10:33 PM
i guess i should stop being sarcastic...i wouldn't think any of us here would seriously consider an in ground lift in the $10k range

A18A
03-15-2009, 10:44 PM
especially for a sub $1k car

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 11:01 PM
i should probably stop all together since it might make me look like i truly have an IQ of 50 or what not...wouldn't want that would we??

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 11:01 PM
I used a Ditch one time LOL.. like a pit kinda.

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 11:04 PM
I used a Ditch one time LOL.. like a pit kinda.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, you sir are a TRUE Messican! be proud :bandit:

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 11:06 PM
you can get a lift for way under that that bolts to a concrete pad. if there are a lot of members in one area, best thing to do is everyone chip in and install it on someones property that has concrete. then it can be shared. I know a lot of hot rodders do that. especially those who have local clubs.

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 11:07 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA, you sir are a TRUE Messican! be proud :bandit:

OH HELL YES SON. do what you have to do you HEARD LOL. instead DITCH STATUS HAHA. o im proud. O WHAT A FEELING LOL.

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 11:09 PM
OH HELL YES SON. do what you have to do you HEARD LOL. instead DITCH STATUS HAHA. o im proud. O WHAT A FEELING LOL.

haha, it's so true though!

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Shit i didnt have a jack im like how im i going to change the oil....I turn to the right im like DITCH haha. Okay no more im whoring the thread. sorry lost

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 11:12 PM
haha, it's so true though!at least it wasn't on four spare tire jacks while the car swayed back and forth. seen the mexicans pulling a transmission here doing that. of course i also saw them standing around a rattle snake pointing and laughing,until one of them wacked it with a shovel. might be the tequila,who knows.

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Shit i didnt have a jack im like how im i going to change the oil....I turn to the right im like DITCH haha. Okay no more im whoring the thread. sorry lostssssssssssssss ok ,good laugh. areba!!areba!!

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 11:17 PM
no sssssssssssssssssss when i was doing it haha. nay i did that when i was 14. so i got all top notch shit. if i need to do anything i go to my work...got paddle lift and host and 4 point host. and i got 4 jack stands and 3 ton jack low profile. GOTTA DO IT RIGHT. K people that do that are call WABS. im not a wab. lets get that straigh. im mexican american. Chicano. K....K

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 11:19 PM
no sssssssssssssssssss when i was doing it haha. nay i did that when i was 14. so i got all top notch shit. if i need to do anything i go to my work...got paddle lift and host and 4 point host. and i got 4 jack stands and 3 ton jack low profile. GOTTA DO IT RIGHT. K people that do that are call WABS. im not a wab. lets get that straigh. im mexican american. Chicano. K....Kwhat do you call the ones who wack a rattlesnake with a shovel?

labeledsk8r
03-15-2009, 11:21 PM
im kinda shocked no one has one of these at there house as there not badly priced at all **edit** talking about the ramps lol**

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/VWCamper.jpg

and lol check out this how to i found while looking for a pic, i dont know if id trust wood this much

http://corvettec3.ca/ramps.htm

Rendon LX-i
03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
WABS....wabs....or mexican straight from mexico. NAY i better not say that since thats my kinda. BUt mexicans from mexico are called mexicanos .im chicano.but when YOU SEE them put shit on a honda like muffler tips that screw on and stickers that say VTEC lol...you get where im coming from and hit snakes with a shovel...shit i be eathing that bbq status

AccordB20A
03-15-2009, 11:25 PM
i use tires under the car as i r can not afford jack stands and i lift the car a meter into the air with my endless chain hoiste lol

Civic Accord Honda
03-16-2009, 08:18 AM
what do you call the ones who wack a rattlesnake with a shovel?
sounds like my mum

accordion89
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
im kinda shocked no one has one of these at there house as there not badly priced at all **edit** talking about the ramps lol**

and lol check out this how to i found while looking for a pic, i dont know if id trust wood this much

My apartment manager wouldnt like that :/

3rd Party
03-16-2009, 09:29 AM

something about wood, and using it to keep a car in the air just doesn't float well with me...but those iron/steel ramps don't seem a bad idea

paul
03-16-2009, 04:29 PM
morons...

BITESIZE
03-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Fucking wood ramps lol. No way I'd get under there.

Sabz5150
03-16-2009, 04:43 PM
you can shove a couple tires on rims behind the jackstands if you need to, extra security,but the problem with bricks is often they shatter. I wonder how many people have died from cinder blocks breaking under a car.

Normally if I have my car on stands, two of the tires are off the car. They go right beside the jackstands until I am clear of the undercarriage. If the stands give, the rims will catch it. Yeah, I might damage the wheels, but at least I get away only needing to change my shorts.

Rendon LX-i
03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
lol....so true

lostforawhile
03-31-2009, 06:00 AM
there seems to be some pretty serious beams in those wood ramps, the plywood is just decorative on the sides. 2x12 beams are some pretty heavy stuff. i'm assuming that he has them blocked all along the length from top to bottom. these used to be common to make yourself. as long as they are constructed properly,you could probably drive a truck up there.