PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed stuff...

LXiHatch88
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
My '88 LXi 5 speed pulls itself fine in 1st through 4th, go to shift into 5th, nothing, it's like you put it in neutral. Shifting 1st through 4th, the transmission is more difficult to shift then it should be IMO. If you've ever tried to pull your car out of gear without depressing the clutch fully, that's kind of what it feels like shifting between all other gears, except the clutch IS fully depressed. Hard to explain, just feels very notchy..

What would be a common cause for 5th gear to go out, and, armed with a Chiltons, is this something your average gearhead could fix? My '85 Accord had 4th gear out, but I just lived with it for a while until I sold it... I do mostly highway driving and NEED 5th, though. I can pick up another 5 speed at one of the local Pull-A-Part yards for around 60 bucks... should I just go that route? If the output spins with the input in all gears, I guess the trans should be fine... I do have everything to convert the car to an automatic, but just the thought of it makes me want to puke. lol

Going to need a clutch also. Just need a good daily driver clutch, something that isn't going to kill me sitting in stop and go traffic, but will last a good long while. I've heard to stay away from PepAdvanceAutoNapaZone type stuff. Any recommendations on a good quality clutch that won't murder my left leg?

Thanks.

Pico
03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I havent done it but I think you can replace the 5th gear without dropping the trans.
But since your gonna need to do a clutch, then it will be much easier out of the car.
As far as clutches I'd say it depends on what route you want to go, Stock or performance.
Exedy would be good if stock is the way your going.

lostforawhile
03-15-2009, 09:55 PM
if you tore up a gear you need to pull the transmission and take it apart, it will be full of metal shavings and chips, these will screw your other gears, and get into the bearings. just like if you torn up something in the motor,you wouldn't replace ht part and leave all the metal junk in there.

mephi
03-15-2009, 10:32 PM
If you are having trouble shifting, it might just be the shift mechanism. You'll have to pull the tranny apart to figure that out. Does reverse work? Same shift rod as 5th.

And yes, you can swap out 5th gear without removing the trans. I did it two weeks ago myself. took about an hour and a half with some air tools.

3rd Party
03-15-2009, 10:35 PM
too bad you live WAY on the other side of the states or i'd say we should have a party at my place replacing clutches/transmissions...my clutch is in DIRE need of attention, heh

Demon1024
03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
If you are having trouble shifting, it could also be the fact the wrong lube was used, which can cause 5 to go out

Civic Accord Honda
03-16-2009, 08:52 AM
if 5th is like a neutral then 5th is rounded off.. its happened to me twice
the cause? to low of oil and the trans over heats

3rd Party
03-16-2009, 09:36 AM
sometimes it's hard for me to pull the shifter out of the fifth gear position, which can become rather annoying...but i'm honestly considering looking into having the transmission rebuilt anyways. it'd be nice to have a rebuilt transmission, and all new clutch kit.

Civic Accord Honda
03-16-2009, 09:41 AM
sometimes it's hard for me to pull the shifter out of the fifth gear position, which can become rather annoying...but i'm honestly considering looking into having the transmission rebuilt anyways. it'd be nice to have a rebuilt transmission, and all new clutch kit.
if you get it rebuilt you should def look in to the integra gear swap!

Rendon LX-i
03-16-2009, 10:47 AM
What kind of tranny oil you using. use honda mtf. maybe you get lucky that does wounders

3rd Party
03-16-2009, 11:02 AM
if you get it rebuilt you should def look in to the integra gear swap!

i thought the Integra gear swap killed your MPGs?? the Delta cam definitely didn't help either

LXiHatch88
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't need any sort of performance clutch at all, just something good for every day driving.

What kind of tranny oil you using. use honda mtf. maybe you get lucky that does wounders

I have no idea what type of oil is in there now, I just bought the car 3 days ago. This car is totally original right down to the Honda radio still in the dash. I'd venture to say, that with 325,000 mostly highway miles on the car, the oil in the trans just might have never been changed since it left the factory. The guy I bought it off of, who was the second owner, claimed it still has the factory clutch, and by the way it feels I'm in inclined to believe it.

I'll try changing the oil in the trans before I pull it out to see if that helps with the notchy shifting, and look for any metal in the the oil. Depending on the outcome of that, I'll decide weather to pull it apart and try to fix 5th, or just look for another trans. Anyone tried the Redline MT-90 in their 5 speed? The 5 speed in my '92 Sentra loves that stuff. How many quarts does the trans hold?

mephi
03-16-2009, 04:31 PM
NO 90 WEIGHT!! Only motor oil like 10w30 or just plain old SAE 30. Honda M/T fluid is basically just motor oil with some additives. 75W90 or anything like that WILL DESTROY your transmission...or at least 5th gear.

*EDIT* almost forgot--2.5 quarts. Go to your local Honda dealer and pick up 3 quarts of Honda M/T fluid. At first I thought it would be a waste of money. I was wrong.

LXiHatch88
03-16-2009, 09:45 PM
NO 90 WEIGHT!! Only motor oil like 10w30 or just plain old SAE 30. Honda M/T fluid is basically just motor oil with some additives. 75W90 or anything like that WILL DESTROY your transmission...or at least 5th gear.

*EDIT* almost forgot--2.5 quarts. Go to your local Honda dealer and pick up 3 quarts of Honda M/T fluid. At first I thought it would be a waste of money. I was wrong.

Good to know. Thanks.