PDA

View Full Version : power steeering cooler is in.

lostforawhile
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Ok the PS cooler is in, this is out of a ford,it's a factory engine oil cooler, these things were a major problem on ford cars,because the passages were too small for engine oil, and they sludged up. you can get these for practically nothing at junkyards. the main thing is you need to clean out all the gunked up oil from the ford engine. i filled it full of solvent, then hooked an air line too it and let air run through it, kept doing this and after a couple of hours,it popped and all the crap blew out the outlet. good idea to hook another hose to the outlet and put it in a can or something. I think it will be just fine for PS fluid, it's not full of the combustion byproducts that cause sludge to form. this would actually work as eithier a ps cooler or a transmission cooler. all i had to do to make it fit, was cut off some of the extra tabs on the mounting with shears, then make one small mounting block to space it back towards the radiator. i don't have ac anymore,so it fits really nicely in the space in front of the radiator. the metal pipes are stock ford, and they fit perfectly into the hole for the PS hoses. look like they were supposed to be there. you have the option to use compression fittings on the pipes, or in my case i have aluminum fittings tig welded on, since my system is all AN. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020237-4.jpghttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020238-3.jpghttp://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020239-4.jpg

LXiHatch88
03-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I've got an old factory transmission cooler off my 2001 Ranger that got wrecked. I'll bet it would work great for this! What exactly did you use to clean it out?

lostforawhile
03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I've got an old factory transmission cooler off my 2001 Ranger that got wrecked. I'll bet it would work great for this! What exactly did you use to clean it out?
just some kind of solvent i can't remember exactly what, you could even use kerosene if needed.
just be careful on the tranny coolers, i had one before and it restricted the fluid going back to the resevoir,this one is great because it is designed to flow more volume. the tubes going in and out are bigger being an engine oil cooler. these are really easy to find, and the brackets are exactly the same as the ford transmission coolers.

lostforawhile
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I'll bet the reason the ford this came off of had a rod sticking through the block, was the fact this cooler had no bypass system and it was 100 percent clogged. these are great for aux cooling like PS and automatic transmissions, but too small for engine oil use. the engine oil cooler i'm running is from an aircraft,and they are designed in such a way,that oil can split into many different paths, that way if part of it clogs, oil can still flow through it. these single path engine oil coolers won't be cooling any engine oil for me.

Rendon LX-i
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Can i ask why you would need a p/s fuild cooler. I mean the pump is not working to the extent where its going to burn out anything. My manifold gets pretty hot and i dont see and difference as in steering an what not. Maybe it does thou idk. seals maybe in pump?

lostforawhile
03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
it comes with a cooler factory, had to get rid of it a long time ago to put the lights under the bumper. this is to replace it. i had a smaller one on the other side. thats what the giant heavy steel loop is.