PDA

View Full Version : headlight switch

skylinegts
03-17-2009, 05:39 PM
ok. unless your gonna help, dont post. i know this is grounds to dig out the flame suit but w/e.
headlight swtich is fucked up. due to time, money, and tool constraints.. and well i just dont care enough to fix it properly, i am looking for a way to just wire them to the ign ciruit so they are on when the car is on. does anyone know how i can do this?

w261w261
03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
You planning on living with just the low beams under such an arrangement?

mephi
03-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Download the manual and figure out the wiring diagram. Probably the best thing you could do.

You could always pick up a switch from the junk yard. I got one from my donor car, but it doesn't quite fit right...my steering wheel is a little wobbly.

Pico
03-17-2009, 06:56 PM
you can wire up a switch to the lights just like wiring up a fog light, just make sure you use a relay and the wire has a fuse to it, that should work.
But like w261w261 said you wont have any high beams

russiankid
03-17-2009, 07:07 PM
I did a write up on how to rebuild these switches. Takes 2 hours at most with the switch removed.

mephi
03-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Where is this write-up...link me please. I have one I would like to fix. It fits properly on my steering column.

Pico
03-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Where is this write-up...link me please. I have one I would like to fix. It fits properly on my steering column.

it's in the How To section: Turn Signal Switch (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60916)

w261w261
03-19-2009, 06:17 AM
....l i just dont care enough to fix it properly, i am looking for a way to just wire them to the ign ciruit so they are on when the car is on.

The problem is, that all the work arounds are probably more complicated than just figuring out how to repair the existing switch, or getting a new one at the JY and plugging it in. In any case, you have to be able to get at and identify the right wires, so there's some study involved. I suppose if you aren't disposed in that way, you could start at the battery and rewire through a 3 position switch (off-high-low), to each light. Put in a couple of in-line fuses.

skylinegts
04-01-2009, 01:32 PM
where abouts can i find the wiring diagram.. if i have that i cant figure it out easily.

russiankid
04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
The diagram is in the shop manual. Knowing how the switch actually works is a plus.