PDA

View Full Version : Trans swap

girlcrazy_4
03-20-2009, 09:49 PM
The tranny on my 87 ex-i took the shit and I need to replace it. I picked up a tranny from a 1987 prelude (dual carb) to put in its place. Are these tranny's the same? Someone mentioned something about the flywheels being different... so now I'm confuzed if it'll fit or not. I dont want to swap flywheels. This is regarding the 5sp tranny.

Pico
03-20-2009, 09:58 PM
5speed or auto?
the 2nd gen prelude trans fits if u use its flywheel

if u want the fastest acceleration then

prelude trans > accord LX-i trans > lx/dx trans

that is vise versa if you want MPG

girlcrazy_4
03-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I saw that in the other thread, I feel like an idiot but I dont understand it.

Pico
03-20-2009, 10:09 PM
I may be wrong but I think the 87 trans wont fit on your 3g, someone on here should be posting up a better reply than I did

girlcrazy_4
03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah its got me confuzed. I've done a search and no-one seems to have a definitive answer of yes or no... I may just have to get out the tape measure and compare.

Civic Accord Honda
03-20-2009, 10:17 PM
if it was a 2nd gen prelude then it should fit
i do believe you have to swap flywheels though but you should get a new one anyway since it doesn't cost that much more then getting yours resurfaced

girlcrazy_4
03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I just compared the trans and I found a few differences where the pilot bearing "would be" if hondas had them. At the end of the prelude input shaft, it comes to a narrower point than the accord transmission does. It dosnt look like there is any mechanical difference tho. Clutch fits on either shaft just fine. The other difference is the clutch lever and the throwout bearing looks slightly different, so it looks as if I will need to swap levers for it to work. The bellhousings look identical in depth and size, so the flywheel thing is throwing me off. I'll stay posted if I figure out anything different.

update: i tried swapping clutch levers but they are of different diameters. The accords lever is larger in diameter and dosnt fit in the prelude tranny so I had to make due with the prelude setup. Swapped the speedo thing and it was pretty strait forward from there. The only problem I encountered was I was so in depth trying to see if the trans would fit that I forgot to install the new clutch. Whoops... All that is left is the axles. I'll put those in, in the morning and see if the tranny engages.

Civic Accord Honda
03-21-2009, 10:38 AM
hmm maybe you dont need the flywheel then. i just know i heard someone say it once or twice ill go look up the part numbers

Civic Accord Honda
03-21-2009, 10:43 AM
so here's what i have come up with

212 and 213 for the carb prelude one from kragen

and 215 for the 3g and fuel injected prelude from kragen

girlcrazy_4
03-21-2009, 11:12 AM
i should've stuck with the accord trans. I cant get things to fit right... I dont know if I have it backwards or if the prelude holes are in different spots but when I go to install the upper wishbone it is over an inch out! I can not get it to line up for the life of me. Anyone have a picture of this?

bobafett
03-21-2009, 05:59 PM
I just helped put a prelude trans on an accord last weekend. It fits fine as is. Just a direct swap, no fancy flywheel madness to worry about.

As for the upper wishbone being out of alignment, I assume that you will need to jack up the motor/trans slightly (put wood under them) in order to get that bolted back in. Without those mounts the motor tends to sag quite a bit. It is definitely doable though.

You have the tranny attached to the motor, right? You are just having trouble getting the dogbone mount that attaches to the firewall? Or are you actually having an issue mating the tranny to the engine block?

girlcrazy_4
03-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Its all good, took a breather for a bit and got back to it. Just needed to be jacked up. I was getting worried when the d-side cv wouldnt slid into the trans. For over an hour it wasnt fitting. I eventually took it out for the 15th time and cleaned the groove for the c-clip and reseated it. Finally got to take the new car for a test drive for the first time, glad it drives but its got issues elsewhere. Balljoints are done, tierods clunk, motor mounts are SLOPY, oil pan bolt is a wood screw siliconed in, leaks coolant and the brakes are super spongy even after a good bleeding... but auto-x season is coming up and I've got to get this project started somewhere. This'll be my 4th accord

bobafett
03-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Good to hear you got the car back together. :D

2ndGenGuy
03-22-2009, 12:04 PM
You got that trans from a Dual Carb prelude? An A18? And the axles from a 3g Accord fit? Honda must have changed the A18 trans one year or something, because my 2g Accord with the smaller inner stubs fit into the A18 trans. I've been using it for a while now. The A18 trans has 25 splines and the A20 in the 3g Accord has 27. You sure it wasn't from a Prelude Si with the A20A3?

girlcrazy_4
03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah I'm sure it was from a dual carb...

girlcrazy_4
03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I came up with this from napa. Well shit, Now I dont know if the axle is fully seated. It drives, and it is holding oil just fine but mabye I somehow mashed the splines?? Went in easy after the o-ring seated. I could always use a prelude axle-shaft end if if this dosnt work out... mabye?

Accord
Compressed Length:36 3/8"
Spline Count of Inner Joint:27
Spline Count of Outer Joint:26

Prelude
Compressed Length:36 3/16"
Spline Count of Inner Joint:25
Spline Count of Outer Joint:24