PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Pedal Adjustment.

Pico
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Is there a adjustment on the clutch pedal?
The reason I ask is because on my 89 the clutch pedal is really soft and has been this way ever since I did the 5speed swap.
It comes up and down with no problem and shifting is no problem, just a soft pedal almost as if it was a hydraulic type setup.
Ive tried adjusting the cable but that has no effect on the soft pedal.
On my 88 the clutch pedal is stiff and I noticed today that the pedal in LxAcc510's car is pedal is the same.
So is there anything I can do or do I have to get a new pedal assembly

Civic Accord Honda
03-21-2009, 09:51 PM
my civics is like that too it drives me insane. i hope theres a way to fix it.

turabaka
03-21-2009, 10:22 PM
I've also been wondering about this. I've noticed that the amount of pedal travel in mine is significantly more than in 3rdparty's sedan.

BITESIZE
03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I think you need to adjust your clutch cable by the transmission. That should help alot. I remember doing this back on the hatch after the 5 speed swap was done. Just turn the little plastic dial.

Pico
03-22-2009, 07:22 AM
I think you need to adjust your clutch cable by the transmission. That should help alot. I remember doing this back on the hatch after the 5 speed swap was done. Just turn the little plastic dial.

tried that on both cars and the only difference is the height of where the pedal catches when I shift into gear.
Tension on the pedal is still the same

russiankid
03-22-2009, 07:23 AM
What pressure plate are you using?

Pico
03-22-2009, 07:33 AM
What pressure plate are you using?

On my 89 I installed a Exedy clutch.
I have no Idea what the owner of the 88 had installed.
Think it's a bad plate on the 89 or 88. they both shift into gear with no problem and both have no power loss problems

G. White
03-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Maybe a worn clutch pedal return spring? (just thought I would throw that out there)

Civic Accord Honda
03-22-2009, 11:11 AM
could be the cable is stretched? . i heard someone talking about that on another forum. my cable is all cracked and looks like its about to snap so i'm going to replace it when i change my clutch and see if that helps.

and yeah it could also be the spring like G. white said

Pico
03-22-2009, 11:53 AM
cables both new.
gonna see if I can get a new spring if I can

AccordB20A
03-22-2009, 11:56 AM
only factor that makes a pedal soft is the pressure plate, springs go soft if you heat it up hardout thats all i can think of it doing, did you install a new clutch kit in it??

Pico
03-22-2009, 11:57 AM
only factor that makes a pedal soft is the pressure plate, springs go soft if you heat it up hardout thats all i can think of it doing, did you install a new clutch kit in it??

I did when I installed the engine a few years ago.
IDK I may have gotten a defective plate.

Tdurr
03-22-2009, 12:06 PM
my clutch is soft too. I also got a exedy clutch in so maybe they are just soft? dono..

Pico
03-22-2009, 12:26 PM
my clutch is soft too. I also got a exedy clutch in so maybe they are just soft? dono..
thats a possibilty, Im kinda relived to know that Im no the only one with a soft pedal

paul
03-22-2009, 01:51 PM
A friend of mine also had a exedy clutch in their 3rd gen.
The clutch pedal could be pushed down fairly easy by hand.

2oodoor
03-22-2009, 02:12 PM
you should have about an inch or so free play at the top, In other words you should be able to feel NOTHING for the first inch or so of travel then after that you should feel some resistence. You can adjust the free play at the fork , there is a turn buckle style thing you pull up on it and slide it out of the fork and move the jam nut.
Have someone foot the clutch as you watch it work so you can assure it is returning like there is significant force against it (PP spring) It is possible the aftermarket hardware has more leverage action making it easier feeling. as well.

Note if you do not have any free play it could be not fully enguaging the clutch which would result in faster wear or slippage.

russiankid
03-22-2009, 02:25 PM
My Exedy is soft too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Pico
03-22-2009, 02:45 PM
you should have about an inch or so free play at the top, In other words you should be able to feel NOTHING for the first inch or so of travel then after that you should feel some resistence. You can adjust the free play at the fork , there is a turn buckle style thing you pull up on it and slide it out of the fork and move the jam nut.
Have someone foot the clutch as you watch it work so you can assure it is returning like there is significant force against it (PP spring) It is possible the aftermarket hardware has more leverage action making it easier feeling. as well.

Note if you do not have any free play it could be not fully enguaging the clutch which would result in faster wear or slippage.
free play and adjustment is fine and everything acts like you described roodoo

My Exedy is soft too. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not going too, it's just that when I drive the 88 and switch to driving the 89, I have to get use to driving a different way.

Civic Accord Honda
03-22-2009, 02:58 PM
i bet this would stiff it up

http://lsdmotorsports.com/prod/HA2-HDMM.html :lol:

russiankid
03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
free play and adjustment is fine and everything acts like you described roodoo

I'm not going too, it's just that when I drive the 88 and switch to driving the 89, I have to get use to driving a different way.

I drove an 86' with 283k on it before and clutch felt stiffer than mine. When I got back into mine I thought I was going to put my foot through the floor board when I pushed the pedal down. :bowrofl:

Rendon LX-i
03-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Mines soft as hell to roger. so idk man i was like wtf. but it bites hard. maybe i need a stage 3 and see how that feels lol

Pico
03-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Mines soft as hell to roger. so idk man i was like wtf. but it bites hard. maybe i need a stage 3 and see how that feels lol

thats what I'm thinking now, get a better clutch and lightned flywheel

Rendon LX-i
03-22-2009, 09:05 PM
I mean you would think it would be hard since it cable huh. wierd

Civic Accord Honda
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
thats what I'm thinking now, get a better clutch and lightned flywheel

upgrade time FTW!!!

russiankid
03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't really make much power so I won't be upgrading. I know that mine grabs fine half way out. Its enough to get the car moving up a very steep hill. If I drop the clutch it spins the tires.

cygnus x-1
03-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Does your clutch pedal even have a return spring? That spring on my Prelude broke some while back and I never replaced it. It still returns to the same position, it's just softer than before. But I have a Red Clutchnet pressure plate so it's way stiff to begin with.

C|

Pico
03-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Does your clutch pedal even have a return spring? That spring on my Prelude broke some while back and I never replaced it. It still returns to the same position, it's just softer than before. But I have a Red Clutchnet pressure plate so it's way stiff to begin with.

C|

thats the first thing I checked, I thought to myself that maybe the spring was not there. but then I remember the pedal assembly being intact when I did the 5 speed swap.
But I checked anyway and it's there.

russiankid
03-23-2009, 05:59 PM
If you want just attach some weight to the release fork on the trans to substitute the weight.:kekeke:

Pico
03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
If you want just attach some weight to the release fork on the trans to substitute the weight.:kekeke:

:slap:

Civic Accord Honda
03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
there was a weight on both of my 3gees come to think about it