PDA

View Full Version : Starting fluid to clean your block?

Dr_Snooz
03-22-2009, 07:03 AM
I was working at my brother-in-law's house the other day. I dripped some oil on his driveway and was rooting around for something to clean it up. I found an old can of starting fluid and gave it a shot. It completely dissolved the oil in seconds and then evaporated leaving no trace of stain. I know now why you should avoid using it to start your engine but the question is, can I use it to clean the engine? Has anyone tried this? Can anyone think of a good reason not to try it?

Thanks!

Pico
03-22-2009, 07:39 AM
not sure on cleaning the engine with it, may remove paint.
But thanks for the tip, I now know what to use to clean the spots in the driveway :D

lostforawhile
03-22-2009, 08:17 AM
I was working at my brother-in-law's house the other day. I dripped some oil on his driveway and was rooting around for something to clean it up. I found an old can of starting fluid and gave it a shot. It completely dissolved the oil in seconds and then evaporated leaving no trace of stain. I know now why you should avoid using it to start your engine but the question is, can I use it to clean the engine? Has anyone tried this? Can anyone think of a good reason not to try it?

Thanks!it's full of Ether, DON'T try to use it to clean your engine, way too dangerous. if you want something that will remove anything, including paint, use brake cleaner. leaves no residue eithier.

AccordB20A
03-22-2009, 11:42 AM
sweet well at lerast we know its good for cleaning oil drips

2ndGenGuy
03-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Why is starting fluid dangerous and not brake cleaner? Brake clean is really flammable. Ask me how I know. :D

Dr_Snooz
03-22-2009, 12:49 PM
it's full of Ether, DON'T try to use it to clean your engine, way too dangerous. if you want something that will remove anything, including paint, use brake cleaner. leaves no residue eithier.

I definitely won't use it with the engine running or hot. I won't spray it on the cat, use while smoking, etc. It's a good way to die if you're an idiot, but if you are careful it should work. I just want to be sure it won't eat up my hoses or wires or paint or anything. I haven't been especially impressed with brake cleaner for oil mess and you aren't supposed to use it on anything like hoses or wires.

Civic Accord Honda
03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
i used starting fuliud to clean thouttel bodys and intake manifolds before lol cleaned that old carbon up really good just the car ran like poo for the first 5 minutes :lol:

2oodoor
03-22-2009, 01:23 PM
just say opposite of yes to ether:ugh2:

citrus base degreaser works for me with motor

for oil spills there is a powder form oil pick up that works miracles. picks up every trace of oil, just sprimkle it out om the spill amd sweep it aroumd a bit. Really is impresive stuff.

russiankid
03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
What works best on oil leaks is to just fix them. Its such a relief to pull into the driveway and not worry about putting something under the car.

Civic Accord Honda
03-22-2009, 06:56 PM
haha that's true ^ i still need to replace my oil pan gasket.. so not looking forward to that

lostforawhile
03-22-2009, 06:59 PM
if you can get it in cali,get some stuff from ZEP products called Aerosolve.. it will take off anything and it's not flammable,beinf co2 based propellent and it's residue free. will blow oil and grime right off.

lostforawhile
03-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I think you can get it cheaper, but you can't beat this stuff. a lot in a can too. figures though,even though it has no ozone depleting chemicals,it can't be shipped to certain states because of ozone crap. http://www.vendorsequipment.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?product=Zep+Aerosolve+II+Solvent+De greaser

Rendon LX-i
03-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Brake clean is my friend..i use that on every oil change or just to clean something up real quick on the ground to spray it and wipe it easy. I also sprayed it on my crank when i took my pan off for oil pan tap. Eats that grease up like butter. i also spray it in the drain hole when i change my oil since oil drips so slow i spray it in there all over and everything comes out...works doing it for years and ever since i rebuild my engine. so its not going to hurt anything. LOL or not if you use it on shit that has power going to it UMMM THATS a NO NO lol.. I usaully wait till my motor cold anyhow...but k enought said haha

2ndGenGuy
03-22-2009, 09:17 PM
What's the deal with ether? Why is it so bad? Does it eat up hoses or something? I'd like to know so I don't use it...

Rendon LX-i
03-22-2009, 09:20 PM
John its not going to eat up anything. ONLY THING THAT would eat up your holes would be engine cleaner since it has a very strong additive that makes the holes crank. i stop using that shit. GUNK 2 or whatever...but as far as i know it dont hurt nothing

LX-incredible
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
What's the deal with ether? Why is it so bad? Does it eat up hoses or something? I'd like to know so I don't use it...

It likes to remove the oil from the cylinder walls, among other things. If you have to use it, it is always best to crank the engine for awhile before spraying to lubricate things as well as possible beforehand.

Surely you can find something that works without spending $6 a can. I've always had good luck with the kerosene based cleaners and a wire brush.

2oodoor
03-23-2009, 12:51 AM
^^^ yeah what he had said

spray some ether in a rag and tie it around your head with the damp part right at your nose.
when you stop seeing rainbow bears dancing around the shop, try it again, then when the bears stop talking to you get back to work.
highly unreccommended btw but there are much more economical solvents for cleaning, save the ether for midevil witchdoctors and dirt workers with catapillar engines.:cool:

Civic Accord Honda
03-23-2009, 12:56 AM
what?!!?!?! dancing rainbow bears?!?! shit ima go do that now sounds awesome!! brb

2oodoor
03-23-2009, 01:21 AM
^^^ yeah what he had said

spray some ether in a rag and tie it around your head with the damp part right at your nose.
when you stop seeing rainbow bears dancing around the shop, try it again, then when the bears stop talking to you get back to work.
highly unreccommended btw but there are much more economical solvents for cleaning, save the ether for midevil witchdoctors and dirt workers with catapillar engines.:cool:

that means DO not do it CAH it could be LETHAL

2drSE-i
03-23-2009, 08:22 AM

If he believed that maybe he should do it :wave:

just kidding cah, dont do it!

2ndGenGuy
03-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Ok, I can see not spraying it inside the engine, I thought this thread was about cleaning off the outside of your engine? Like oily greasy engine block. Wouldn't really hurt anything there, I mean so long as you're not a dumbass about it spraying it all over inside your electronics, right?

2oodoor
03-23-2009, 08:59 AM
It evaporates too quickley to do any real emulsifiying. May be good for a quick wipe where you spilled something but is could stain certain materials.
I just never saw it or thought it to be used for cleaning anything but brain cells. :cheers:

2ndGenGuy
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Gotcha! Guess that makes sense then. I was just mostly curious about the Ether thing, what the big deal was. :cheers:

Civic Accord Honda
03-23-2009, 11:04 AM

If he believed that maybe he should do it :wave:

just kidding cah, dont do it!

:lol: :lol:

ill just go back to my corner now and continue sniffing my glue..:wave:

Rendon LX-i
03-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Guys, guys guys guys are you serious lol...where does it say its going to harm anything its made do clean.

Quickly and easily removes oil, grease, tar, brake fluid and dirt from brake discs and pads, metal components, couplings, cable connections, etc.
Does not affect rubber, plastic or paint.

Thats what it says on the can the shit i use. SO theres your myth BUSTED LOL.
My boss uses it on his parts also...does NOT EFFECT ANYTHING. Like i said i been using it for years never once did i have a prob lol...thats what my auto tech teacher taught me so i got used to it. So idk maybe certian brake clean but the one i use sometimes gets me dizzy lol...

lostforawhile
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Please don't try ether to clean stuff, it's more flammable then gas in the right mixture and even one little spark or bit of static and you'll have an explosion and fire. It's supposed to ignite easy thats why you spray it in your engine. It can even be dangerous when using as starting fluid it's so explosive. It also used to be used as an anestetic during surgery.

Dr_Snooz
03-23-2009, 07:46 PM
What works best on oil leaks is to just fix them. Its such a relief to pull into the driveway and not worry about putting something under the car.

Car doesn't leak. It's when I work on it that we have problems.