PDA

View Full Version : Need help making decision on picking this 88 up

phillie
03-24-2009, 05:09 AM
I found a nice 88 LX-I coupe for sale in my area for $2500. This car has to be 8.5 out of 10. Only has 119k miles. Interior great. Paint and body. KBB doesn't go that old so one year newer shows $2200 excellent. Seller is hard to deal with. I don't want to let it go but I also want a fair price. He had it for $2900 last week and finally came down after a month of not selling. What do you guys think. I haven't had a 3g for over 16 years. I'd be happy if I can get it for $2k!

slacker
03-24-2009, 05:21 AM
Idk about your area but you can definitely find an LX-I coupe that is in great shape for less than $1500 in NJ area. It would just take a while as not many people are selling them anymore.

phillie
03-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Out here in Az. there aren't to many of them period. I need to buy a daily driver asap and what's making it worse is I really want it but I'm pretty cheap.

2oodoor
03-24-2009, 05:58 AM
coupe would be hard to find too
How are the tires? find anything it would need right away to make it a value and then subtract that cost to present for bargaining.
AC?

'A20A3'
03-24-2009, 07:20 AM
offer him $2250 if it's in awesome condition and you really want it.

LX-incredible
03-24-2009, 07:42 AM
It's definitely getting hard to find them in AZ. I'm trying to find one with a good body that needs some work. Problem is everyone is buying them up, doing ghetto fix up jobs and selling them to the illegals.

'A20A3'
03-24-2009, 07:54 AM
sadly, these cars are becoming fewer and fewer...:crying:

phillie
03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm going to take my ramps out there and have a good look over it. Hopefully I can make something work.

cubert
03-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I wouldnt pay that much for it..

Joay
03-24-2009, 01:06 PM
I paid more than that for mine, in similarly pristine condition with almost as many miles. It definitely isn't worth that much, but if you really want it and you'll have it for at least a few years I say go for it. $500 over five years isn't that big of a deal to have a great example of a car you really want.

nswst8
03-24-2009, 01:31 PM
The value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Now these are great cars for reliable daily drivers, easy to care for and just fun to work on.

Now if this person knows how reliable these are then he'll wait for his price, but if he is in a bind for some cash then he'll drop the price lower.

Your only chance is either wait him out, hoping others don't have the cash for the car.

Or if you are good with checking the obvious

CV shafts about $150 per side

Seals ie: Dizzy O-ring $40, Valve cover gasket $40, oil pan $150, oil filter base gasket$125

Water hoses $200, A/C R-12 lots of dollars , brakes $100 just for pads.

Timing belt alone is $450 shop dollars, clutch is about the same.

'A20A3'
03-24-2009, 04:00 PM
The value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

Truth.

Civic Accord Honda
03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
for a clean lx-i coupe its well worth 2500

w261w261
03-24-2009, 06:54 PM
5 spd? Are you going to be doing your own work? Particularly if not, you could see another $1,000 into it for just a few things. Try to find out when the timing belt was changed. Squeeze the hoses to see how they're doing, or take one off at an end and look at the inside...they rot from the inside. Check the ball joints and the boots on the axles. Look at the coolant and see if it's nice and green or rusty. Someone has mentioned the tires. Make sure everything inside works....fan speeds, heater, a/c, windows etc. It might take a while but the seller will probably be accommodating because he's not getting action on the car and you're a good potential buyer.

phillie
03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Well I went to go check out the car. The car was almost flawless other then one ding, black trim pieces alittle faded from the sun, idle is alittle high, drivers seat left side foam alittle worn down and a few bushings need to be changed. Interior 9 out of 10. Paint 9 out of 10 original paint. Engine bay clean. I couldn't really find much and this guy was a hard person to deal down. I spent almost 1 hour inspecting and test driving.

Car has 118k miles. I probably paid to much but I got a very good car. $2400.00 was the end deal. I'll have pics up in a couple days. I already have plans for it! Should have it lowered and rims in 2 weeks. Thanks for the advice. I couldnt let this one go. I know I wouldn't have been able to find one in this condition and with this low of milage again.

phillie
03-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Here's the link

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/1086751641.html

3rd Party
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
aside from it being automatic, that's one hell of a clean car!! if you don't mind the automatic pick it up for $1900-2000...i'm sure if you show up with cash he'll sell it.

MessyHonda
03-26-2009, 07:29 AM
man its a clean car but i would not pay that much...i paid almost that and got a nice car

Joay
03-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Good to see another cherry example going to a good home. :)

phillie
03-26-2009, 08:56 AM
man its a clean car but i would not pay that much...i paid almost that and got a nice car

Trust me I'm a penny pincher. If I couldve got it cheaper I wouldve tried but these cars aren't as plentiful as where you live. I wouldn't say this car is in nice condition its in GREAT condition. Its like its only 4 years old if that. Its obviously been garaged kept all its life.

I figure ill change it to standard as soon as I find all the parts. No big deal. I'm not in a hurry. I rather just cruise right now anyways. Once I build an engine ill want the standard more. Got a lot of reading to do!

MessyHonda
03-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Trust me I'm a penny pincher. If I couldve got it cheaper I wouldve tried but these cars aren't as plentiful as where you live. I wouldn't say this car is in nice condition its in GREAT condition. Its like its only 4 years old if that. Its obviously been garaged kept all its life.

I figure ill change it to standard as soon as I find all the parts. No big deal. I'm not in a hurry. I rather just cruise right now anyways. Once I build an engine ill want the standard more. Got a lot of reading to do!

yeah...you will soon find out what i got:rolleyes:

LX-incredible
03-27-2009, 08:07 AM

:werd: Most of them here are selling WELL above blue book now. Sucks cause I'm trying to find another to put the b into.

Dr_Snooz
03-27-2009, 08:09 PM
:werd: Most of them here are selling WELL above blue book now. Sucks cause I'm trying to find another to put the b into.

I'm glad to hear that the values are picking up. If these cars start being considered classics, there's a chance that the 3rd party parts supplies won't dry up.

Hope you find a cheap one though LX-incredible.

phillie
03-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Someonr pm'd me about springs. Can you pm me again. I don't know what happened to the message.