PDA

View Full Version : getting a new water pump

slacker
03-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi all,

The water pump on my 88 LX has recently started making weird noises so I will be getting it replaced soon. I bought the new part and it's ready to be installed.

The car has approximately 174,000 miles on it and I do not know if anything has ever been replaced other than the radiator and spark plug wires as I've just recently purchased it.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get the timing belt, tensioner, and accessory belts replaced, too, while I'm at it so I don't have to deal with it later.

Also, should I get it done myself or get someone to do it for $150? I've never done this before and I have no experience so I'm not sure how hard it is.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Civic Accord Honda
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
yeah i would recommend doing everything at once so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

and i think it would be a good learning experience for you to do it your self. but i would recommend downloading the manual and reading the process of doing it and then if u feel u cant do it then pay to have it done.

also when doing the timing belt it is about the same time u should adjust valves. this is very easy and you should be able to do it your self
heres a how to on that
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39319

if you dont have a feeler gauge you can pick one up from vatozone for around $6

lostforawhile
03-25-2009, 04:56 PM
the water pump can be replaced without taking off the timing belt if needed. it's external not internal.

BITESIZE
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
the water pump can be replaced without taking off the timing belt if needed. it's external not internal.

Yep, it's not very difficult at all if you like working in confined areas.

slacker
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
yeah i would recommend doing everything at once so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

and i think it would be a good learning experience for you to do it your self. but i would recommend downloading the manual and reading the process of doing it and then if u feel u cant do it then pay to have it done.

also when doing the timing belt it is about the same time u should adjust valves. this is very easy and you should be able to do it your self
heres a how to on that
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39319

if you dont have a feeler gauge you can pick one up from vatozone for around $6

Thanks CAH! Really.. There goes my weekend.. Lol. OK that's a 150 bucks I will save and spend on my new stereo :D

cubert
03-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Yes..you should definitely do it all at once.

If you feel confident in giving it a shot, then do like CAH said and download the shop manual, and take your time.

slacker
03-25-2009, 05:01 PM

should i leave the timing belt as it is then since it still has good tread on it and it doesn't look so worn out? that way i wouldn't have to deal with the tensioner, either :)

thanks for the quick responses, guys

lostforawhile
03-25-2009, 05:05 PM
should i leave the timing belt as it is then since it still has good tread on it and it doesn't look so worn out? that way i wouldn't have to deal with the tensioner, either :)

thanks for the quick responses, guysif you are going to replace it get a kit with a tensioner and belt, it's not that bad to do,there are a lot of good write ups on here and we will help you through it.

slacker
03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
if you are going to replace it get a kit with a tensioner and belt, it's not that bad to do,there are a lot of good write ups on here and we will help you through it.

yup.. already ordered a water pump, a timing belt, a tensioner, and an alternator belt. i should be getting them all by monday, the latest :) thanks for the support!

Civic Accord Honda
03-25-2009, 05:13 PM

thanks for the quick responses, guys

i would replace it just to be on safe side. its not very much and will save you a big headache later on if it decides it wants to snap one day in the middle of no where (and thats were they always decide to break:banghead: )

so yeah since your going to be working in that area it would be an excellent idea just to do it all at once :thumbup:

Civic Accord Honda
03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
yup.. already ordered a water pump, a timing belt, a tensioner, and an alternator belt. i should be getting them all by monday, the latest :) thanks for the support!

:thumbup: thumbup:

BITESIZE
03-25-2009, 05:27 PM
i would replace it just to be on safe side. its not very much and will save you a big headache later on if it decides it wants to snap one day in the middle of no where (and thats were they always decide to break:banghead: )

so yeah since your going to be working in that area it would be an excellent idea just to do it all at once :thumbup:

It's a beautiful thing to see that you have grown up from a child to a man...brings a tear to my eye.:birthday:

cubert
03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
It's a beautiful thing to see that you have grown up from a child to a man...brings a tear to my eye.:birthday:

:lol:

BITESIZE
03-25-2009, 05:38 PM
But quit using spray paint like a damn monkey on acid! Ok, enough with the post whoring.

It's not too bad to change a water pump, timing belt etc. Just don't drop the woodruf key or lose it.

Civic Accord Honda
03-25-2009, 06:12 PM

But quit using spray paint like a damn monkey on acid!

:lol: .... :lol: :thumbup:

slacker
03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
But quit using spray paint like a damn monkey on acid!

:lol:

Just don't drop the woodruf key or lose it.

Where do i find the woodruff key, on the camshaft pulley? :o

Dr_Snooz
03-25-2009, 07:45 PM
I hate to be the wet blanket here, but the timing belt is NOT the place to begin your mechanical pursuits. It is a half day job at least, and that's if everything goes well. If you "have no experience," it's not going to go well. You probably don't even have the tools you need. You're going to get to the crank bolt and you'll never get it off. If you get past that, you're not going to be able to get the new belt on. Monday morning will come and your car will still be torn down and you'll be bumming rides to work. You'll break stuff and hurt yourself, sell the car and swear never to try working on your car again. If you want to start wrenching, start with oil changes and spark plug replacement. Work your way up to a timing belt replacement.

Sorry to be a contrarian.

slacker
03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I hate to be the wet blanket here, but the timing belt is NOT the place to begin your mechanical pursuits. It is a half day job at least, and that's if everything goes well. If you "have no experience," it's not going to go well. You probably don't even have the tools you need. You're going to get to the crank bolt and you'll never get it off. If you get past that, you're not going to be able to get the new belt on. Monday morning will come and your car will still be torn down and you'll be bumming rides to work. You'll break stuff and hurt yourself, sell the car and swear never to try working on your car again. If you want to start wrenching, start with oil changes and spark plug replacement. Work your way up to a timing belt replacement.

I think I explained myself wrong. I meant that I have no experience with timing belt or water pump replacement. I've changed my oil many times before and I have also done spark plug replacements, although I've only done it once or twice :) I got as far as changing my radiator a couple weeks ago but I've never actually done anything with the timing belt or anything around it. Matter of fact, I'm still trying to figure out where the stupid transmission dipstick is so I can check the fluid. But I'm willing to learn as this is not going to be the last time I work on a timing belt or a water pump if I do it once. I am not quite sure if I have the proper tools, though, so thank you for pointing it out. What do I exactly need other than my socket wrench set?

Thanks!

mephi
03-26-2009, 12:20 AM
If your car is a manual, there is no dipstick on the trans. If it is an auto, there will be a short aluminum top dipstick screwed into the top.

I was about where you were when I changed my first 3gee timing belt. It took me about a week to completely finish the thing. Getting that crank bolt off without an impact wrench is a bitch. It can be done, but you may want to get a few more tools. I can do them in a few hours now.

This is a great car to learn on though. It was what really made me decide to get into automotive repair. That and my Jeep. I went from changing timing belts to clutches to pulling engines and lifting trucks.

MessyHonda
03-26-2009, 12:21 AM
replace everything while in there...also dont forget to get OEM honda parts...they tend to last longer

slacker
03-26-2009, 07:22 AM
If your car is a manual, there is no dipstick on the trans. If it is an auto, there will be a short aluminum top dipstick screwed into the top.

This is a great car to learn on though. It was what really made me decide to get into automotive repair. That and my Jeep. I went from changing timing belts to clutches to pulling engines and lifting trucks.

It's an automatic. I'll go out in a little while and try to locate it in daylight once again. I think this car is a good start, too, as it seems like it has a simpler engine than any other car I own. Thanks for the support.

replace everything while in there...also dont forget to get OEM honda parts...they tend to last longer

Uhm.. I think I got all aftermarket already. :hsugh:
Here's what I got so far:
NSK Timing Belt Tensioner
ITM Water Pump
Cloyes Timing Belt
Bando Alternator Drive Belt
Are these too bad?:confused:

MessyHonda
03-26-2009, 07:47 AM
It's an automatic. I'll go out in a little while and try to locate it in daylight once again. I think this car is a good start, too, as it seems like it has a simpler engine than any other car I own. Thanks for the support.

Uhm.. I think I got all aftermarket already. :hsugh:
Here's what I got so far:
NSK Timing Belt Tensioner
ITM Water Pump
Cloyes Timing Belt
Bando Alternator Drive Belt
Are these too bad?:confused:

well dont worry about it...at least you are changing them...

Civic Accord Honda
03-26-2009, 11:26 AM
the parts should be just fine
alot better then the 20 year old ones in there ;)

slacker
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
the parts should be just fine
alot better then the 20 year old ones in there ;)

uhmm.. 21 years. let's get it straight. :)

hopefully i will be able to work on it this weekend. i already received the timing belt and the alternator belt in mail.

lostforawhile
03-26-2009, 02:44 PM
nsk is good, they make the best wheel bearings for this car, I think oem too, cloyes is also good

russiankid
03-26-2009, 03:10 PM
If you run into problems with something, send me a PM. I am an hour away. I've down the timing belt twice now. I've taken lots of things apart of these cars.

griffonks
03-26-2009, 03:32 PM
I am about ready to do the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, front oil seal and a new dizzy on my 89 LX. Just trying to find a coolant leak somewhere on the ass end of the engine before I drain it out and get started. The last time I did the water pump/belt I put a bolt through a hole in the crank pulley and the two ends of a chain that I wrapped around the frame. Took the crankshaft pulley bolt off with a 1/2 inch socket, two 8 inch extensions through the wheel well resting on a jack stand and a breaker bar in a 6' pipe for leverage. The pulley bolt came right off. That was how I found 3geez! Thanks to all of you and good luck on the waterpump/ timing belt in your 88 lx. We have the same mileage!

slacker
03-26-2009, 05:17 PM
If you run into problems with something, send me a PM. I am an hour away. I've down the timing belt twice now. I've taken lots of things apart of these cars.

Oh wow I always thought you were from Russia for some reason.. Yes, I should've just looked under your avatar.. Anyway, I really appreciate the offer. Hopefully I will be able to get it done with you guys' help here :)

I am about ready to do the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, front oil seal and a new dizzy on my 89 LX. Just trying to find a coolant leak somewhere on the ass end of the engine before I drain it out and get started. The last time I did the water pump/belt I put a bolt through a hole in the crank pulley and the two ends of a chain that I wrapped around the frame. Took the crankshaft pulley bolt off with a 1/2 inch socket, two 8 inch extensions through the wheel well resting on a jack stand and a breaker bar in a 6' pipe for leverage. The pulley bolt came right off. That was how I found 3geez! Thanks to all of you and good luck on the waterpump/ timing belt in your 88 lx. We have the same mileage!

Oh wow yours sounds a lot more of a pain in the a**. Thanks for the good luck wishes! My first Accord had approximately 174,000 miles on it, too, when I bought it :rockon:

Dr_Snooz
03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Alright. Thanks for clearing that up. You'll want to get a good breaker bar. I think you can borrow something from Autozone or whatever. I usually put a thick impact socket extension into the timing hole to prevent the crankshaft from turning when I'm trying to get the crankshaft bolt loose. This won't work if you have a stick-shift though.

You don't want to start any repair until you've read carefully over the procedure in the shop manual. Think through every step of the process. Look at the engine and make sure you understand where every part is and how you're going to get to it. Getting the crank bolt off is going to be your biggest challenge. Getting the new belt tensioned will also be a challenge. After you've tensioned the belt, check the timing hole and the cam marks to make sure you're still at TDC in both places. You'll spend some time jerking on the belt and you could end up pulling one of them off TDC. If you get it all back together and you're off, you'll be sad, so check beforehand. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. There's a lot of work but no rocket science really.

We're here to help you if you get stuck.

slacker
03-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Alright. Thanks for clearing that up. You'll want to get a good breaker bar. I think you can borrow something from Autozone or whatever. I usually put a thick impact socket extension into the timing hole to prevent the crankshaft from turning when I'm trying to get the crankshaft bolt loose. This won't work if you have a stick-shift though.

You don't want to start any repair until you've read carefully over the procedure in the shop manual. Think through every step of the process. Look at the engine and make sure you understand where every part is and how you're going to get to it. Getting the crank bolt off is going to be your biggest challenge. Getting the new belt tensioned will also be a challenge. After you've tensioned the belt, check the timing hole and the cam marks to make sure you're still at TDC in both places. You'll spend some time jerking on the belt and you could end up pulling one of them off TDC. If you get it all back together and you're off, you'll be sad, so check beforehand. Other than that, it's pretty straight forward. There's a lot of work but no rocket science really.

We're here to help you if you get stuck.

I'll go get a breaker bar tomorrow. Thanks! I appreciate all the support :)

russiankid
03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
That bolt is a bitch. If you cannot get it yourself. Call up a shop near by and ask if they can do it for like $10-$20 bucks. A muffler shop will be better because they have a plasma cutter, which can be useful to heat up the bolt to get it lose. Then just tighten it down and drive home carefully.

slacker
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
That bolt is a bitch. If you cannot get it yourself. Call up a shop near by and ask if they can do it for like $10-$20 bucks. A muffler shop will be better because they have a plasma cutter, which can be useful to heat up the bolt to get it lose. Then just tighten it down and drive home carefully.

Would it help at all if I sprayed some WD40 on the crank pulley bolt the night before I start working on it? And maybe heat up the bolt a little bit with a lighter right before I get to it?

Civic Accord Honda
03-27-2009, 06:37 PM
WD40 is poo! pb blaster is the epic succeed-er

russiankid
03-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Would it help at all if I sprayed some WD40 on the crank pulley bolt the night before I start working on it? And maybe heat up the bolt a little bit with a lighter right before I get to it?

I doubt the penetrating lube will make its way between the pulley, washer, and bolt to the threads. A lighter will not provide enough heat. Mine needed a plasma cutter + about 850 ft lbs from the impact gun to break loose. :eek5:

slacker
03-27-2009, 07:03 PM
I doubt the penetrating lube will make its way between the pulley, washer, and bolt to the threads. A lighter will not provide enough heat. Mine needed a plasma cutter + about 850 ft lbs from the impact gun to break loose. :eek5:

oh that's awesome.. well then maybe i should start praying.. lol

Dr_Snooz
03-27-2009, 07:21 PM
The torque spec on that bolt is 108 ft-lbs. Most shops are too busy/lazy/etc. to bother putting it on correctly. They lay on it with the impact gun for about a half-hour and call it a day. The next poor sucker has a big mess on his hands. If you're consistent about doing your own work properly, you won't have any trouble with it.

l75eya
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Matter of fact, I'm still trying to figure out where the stupid transmission dipstick is so I can check the fluid.

That goddamn dipstick is in the most retarded place possible. It's literally like...maybe an inch high and is right on top of the transmission, so you have to shove your arm through tons of vacuum lines and what have you to get to it, and of *course* you can't check it when the engine is warm, unless you want to burn your arm.
Come to think of it, you're going to be around here tomorrow, I'll show you where it is exactly lol, but seriously....I think the Honda designers intentionally made it a bitch to get to, just to be assholes.

slacker
03-28-2009, 06:25 PM
That goddamn dipstick is in the most retarded place possible. It's literally like...maybe an inch high and is right on top of the transmission, so you have to shove your arm through tons of vacuum lines and what have you to get to it, and of *course* you can't check it when the engine is warm, unless you want to burn your arm.
Come to think of it, you're going to be around here tomorrow, I'll show you where it is exactly lol, but seriously....I think the Honda designers intentionally made it a bitch to get to, just to be assholes.

Yup! That is the most ridiculous place to put a dipstick. Anyway, thanks for pointing out where it's located and it's a pleasure meeting you in person.

**UPDATE:**
Unfortunately I haven't received all my parts yet.. (eBay sucks) I will have to wait until next weekend to start working on the car.

Also, it seems like my work will be doubled :mad: as I just bought a hatch from one of our members here :eek5: and she will need a new water pump and all that neat stuff as well.. She is an 87 DX Hatch. She is pretty beat up (no offense l75eya) but still in good shape compared to most 20 year old vehicles out there. I think I got a pretty good deal on her, too.

That said, dear 3geez members, I will need a lot more advice from you guys as I work on my new hatch. I know y'all love (:rant:) to hear this. :D I will be posting pictures of my LX and the new DX soon (hopefully tomorrow) in another thread.

russiankid
03-28-2009, 06:27 PM
What brand waterpump are you using?

slacker
03-28-2009, 06:54 PM
What brand waterpump are you using?

I already ordered an ITM water pump for the sedan. I am about to order another water pump for the hatch. Should I just order another ITM for $30 shipped or go with something else? I was told by MessyHonda to use OEM Honda parts but I'm not sure how much extra I would have to spend on those and if I could afford them after buying the hatch. Besides, it would only be fair for both cars if I get another ITM :D

russiankid
03-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Well let me put it this way. I had an aftermarket(probably Pepgirl special) waterpump and it went at 30k. I now have a OEM Honda pump, has roughly 25k miles on it and it doesn't have any issues.

slacker
03-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Well let me put it this way. I had an aftermarket(probably Pepgirl special) waterpump and it went at 30k. I now have a OEM Honda pump, has roughly 25k miles on it and it doesn't have any issues.

Oh damn.. Where do I get OEM parts again? Other than the stealership?

lostforawhile
03-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Oh damn.. Where do I get OEM parts again? Other than the stealership?i've had the water pump from nappa for years,never had a problem with it

russiankid
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

A GMB pump is good too.

cubert
03-29-2009, 12:35 PM

I wouldnt stress over an aftermarket water pump too much...Ive used them before and never had issues

russiankid
03-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Let me know if you need some help. I know doing the timing belt for the first can be nerve racking.

slacker
03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
i've had the water pump from nappa for years,never had a problem with it

I wouldnt stress over an aftermarket water pump too much...Ive used them before and never had issues

Let me know if you need some help. I know doing the timing belt for the first can be nerve racking.

Thanks all for the support! I'm getting started as soon as I get the rest of my stuff in mail. I am thinking about starting with the hatch as it will most likely be my daily drive. It will need new ball joints, too..:( and possibly control arms.. :mad: I just want to get my water pump and timing belt done before I get to anything else.

slacker
04-05-2009, 10:49 AM
OK so here are the updates. I had to start with my sedan as my water pump got seized on my way home from college yesterday morning. The pulley just stopped and ripped the belt apart. My power steering, ac, and alternator stopped, too at the same time.. Luckily I was about 3 minutes from home. Until I got home, though, one of the hoses couldn't take the heat and let the antifreeze go all over my engine bay.. I do have some pictures. There was a lot of smoke coming out of the engine for like 30 seconds until I parked it, caused by the antifreeze going all over the engine.

So here are the pics:

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1681a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1683a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1684a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1685a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1686a.JPG

I have all the parts I need and I started taking everything apart. I popped the top cover for the timing belt and it seems to me that it is considerably new. Of course I took some pictures of that, too. Should I still replace the belt or does it seem like it still has a good bit of life?

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1690a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1691a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1692a.JPG

russiankid
04-05-2009, 10:57 AM
I would replace it and forget about it. You don't know the exact mileage on the belt. I have seen belts with over 100k miles look fairly new, but they're not.

BITESIZE
04-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Change it and the tensioner.

slacker
04-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I have a few more pictures and questions. Hope you guys don't mind. I took the valve cover off and saw that the oil is completely black even though it is only 4 weeks old. There is no black smoke coming out of the exhaust but there is white smoke at times (especially when I first start the car). I checked the exhaust and the inside has a black layer all over it. So obviously my car is burning oil.. What do you guys recommend I should do?

I also have some pictures of the water pump pulley. I don't know if it's damaged from the water pump getting locked up even though it looks nearly perfect. Should I replace the pulley, too, or does it look OK?

And finally, I have some pictures of my valve cover and carb cover all nice and clean :) They are currently in the middle of my bedroom. I am thinking about painting them a different color while they are clean. What do you guys think?

Thanks all in advance!!

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1696a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1697a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1698a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1699a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1700a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1706a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1711a.JPG

slacker
04-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I would replace it and forget about it. You don't know the exact mileage on the belt. I have seen belts with over 100k miles look fairly new, but they're not.

Change it and the tensioner.

Thanks guys, will do.

russiankid
04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
The pulley looks fine. White smoke when cold is normal, thats condensation. My tail pipe is black too but I am not burning any oil or running rich, thats just carbon. The oil does look a bit black. How many miles on it and what oil?

mephi
04-05-2009, 11:21 AM
If there is any doubt, change it. I usually change the timing belt first thing in any car I buy wit over 100,000 miles on it. I just don't want to have to worry about it.

slacker
04-05-2009, 11:29 AM
The pulley looks fine. White smoke when cold is normal, thats condensation. My tail pipe is black too but I am not burning any oil or running rich, thats just carbon. The oil does look a bit black. How many miles on it and what oil?

I'm not sure what brand it is but it should be 5W-30. The car has approximately 174,000 miles on it.

If there is any doubt, change it. I usually change the timing belt first thing in any car I buy wit over 100,000 miles on it. I just don't want to have to worry about it.

I have a new timing belt, too, I was just being lazy but I will change it. Thanks!

Civic Accord Honda
04-05-2009, 11:30 AM
good work!

and what oil did you use? i have ford motorcraft semi synthetic and it has a little over 6k miles on it and looks cleaner then that O.o.

maybe its time to run some seafoam though the engine to clean out all the carbon

russiankid
04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure what brand it is but it should be 5W-30. The car has approximately 174,000 miles on it.

I have a new timing belt, too, I was just being lazy but I will change it. Thanks!
Get some good quality oil in there. I run Mobile 1 all the time and its never that bad even after 5k miles.

good work!

and what oil did you use? i have ford motorcraft semi synthetic and it has a little over 6k miles on it and looks cleaner then that O.o.

maybe its time to run some seafoam though the engine to clean out all the carbon
Unless he has money for a new cat, I wouldn't bother.

slacker
04-05-2009, 11:40 AM
good work!

Thanks!

Not sure what brand it is but it should be 5W-30. It definitely has less than 600 miles on it though.. So it's not burning oil? Just some carbon in the engine? :eek:

slacker
04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Get some good quality oil in there. I run Mobile 1 all the time and its never that bad even after 5k miles.

Gotcha. Is it still going to be black after 600 miles if I use Mobile 1? Because right now it's pretty black..

russiankid
04-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Mine usually turns brown after that many miles. By the time I need to change it its dark brown.

slacker
04-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I forgot to mention.. What's the hose in the pictures below called? I will need to replace that as well.. Also, I still need to know if my water pump pulley looks OK so I don't go and buy a new one if I don't need it. :D Thanks all!

Civic Accord Honda
04-05-2009, 04:58 PM

i would just unbolt the cat and do it with it off... or if there is no emission control in his state/county then i would remove it and clear the bitch out! straight pipping ftw

russiankid
04-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I forgot to mention.. What's the hose in the pictures below called? I will need to replace that as well.. Also, I still need to know if my water pump pulley looks OK so I don't go and buy a new one if I don't need it. :D Thanks all!

What hose? And pulley is fine.

slacker
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
i would just unbolt the cat and do it with it off... or if there is no emission control in his state/county then i would remove it and clear the bitch out! straight pipping ftw

I can do it if it's not too much of a pain in the a**. I can't rip the cat off though as there is emission tests in my state..

What hose? And pulley is fine.

Sorry I forgot to include the pics. Lol. Here they are:

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1693a.JPG

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1695a.JPG

A18A
04-05-2009, 08:37 PM
looks like a heater hose< those hoses seem to like bursting

slacker
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
looks like a heater hose< those hoses seem to like bursting

Is there some good after market ones I can get or make? I know my hatch has a red one and it appears to be custom made.

russiankid
04-06-2009, 02:44 AM
I have one from Rockauto for the past 4 years or so and its fine. I will be changing it out again this summer though.

slacker
04-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Is this what I should be getting? From my understanding it's 50' long so I can use it on my future 3gees, too :D

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/cars/RockAuto.bmp

russiankid
04-06-2009, 12:30 PM
You can use that or get a molded one.

mephi
04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Just go to your local parts store and ask them for some hose. Bring in yours for reference. It will cost you a little less that way.

MessyHonda
04-06-2009, 10:53 PM
i always like to change the clamps also

slacker
04-07-2009, 09:30 AM
I think I will go with RockAuto as I can get 50 FEET of it for as low as 33 bucks!! This way I will save some for my future needs, too. And yes I will definitely change the clamps, too. I changed the rad clamps while I was doing the rad anyway so I might as well do the rest of the clamps at once as they are all rusted up anyway. Thanks all!

So I went to Home Depot and spent approx. 100 bucks on tools yesterday.. I will get back to work later today and hopefully get the new timing belt and water pump on. :)

I also ordered 4 CV joints for both my 3gees. I will be doing those sometime next week. Phew.. I should've chosen a better hobby.. Lol.

slacker
04-07-2009, 06:28 PM
OK so I'm still trying to get the water pump off and I got stuck at this one bolt.. First it was pretty hard to get to.. Then I ripped off everything around it and I even tried it with a breaker bar.. That bolt was so frickin tight I almost shat my pants putting force on the breaker bar. I was not expecting that little bolt to be so tight and now it doesn't have so much tread left on it; therefore, the socket will not hold it anymore..
I was thinking about cutting the metal plate that somehow holds the water pump in place (as pictured). I still don't get its purpose. I figured I would ask you guys before I do anything. What do you guys think?

http://www.freewebs.com/slackerheart/photos/hatch/100_1718a.jpg

EDIT: Sorry about the size of the pic. I shrunk it to the wrong size.

Civic Accord Honda
04-07-2009, 06:50 PM
thats for the alternator right? i think u need that :S

Dr_Snooz
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah, don't cut that off. You're going to need it to tension the alternator belt. Try one of these steps to get it off:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64355&highlight=rusted

There is an art to removing bolts that's largely learned by breaking them, trying to get them out once broken and lots of swearing. In general, make sure you have a reasonably good quality set of sockets. Those Chinese cheapies in the bin out in front of the store are not for you. Always make sure your sockets are seated flat and straight on the bolt. If you get the socket cockeyed, you're screwed. Also, blunt impact beats strength, better to beat on a wrench than to try and muscle it.

Change that nasty oil. Usually, it's blowby that turns your oil black. Combustion by-products blow past the piston rings and make the oil all foul. The odd thing is that your valve train looks really good, so I would think your rings are fine. It's possible you put in a high detergent oil that's scrubbed off a lot of gunk in the last 600 miles and that's why it's black. I'd change it and then watch it. If it keeps turning black, do a compression test to see what's what.

I'm with RussianKid, only Mobil 1 in my cars.

nsstech
04-11-2009, 01:29 AM

:bs::bs::bs:You must be a fucking terrible mechanic. The first time I did my timing belt it took me two hours from start to finish :idea:. Now it's a one hour job tops. The timing belt's are an easy replacement on these cars.

Civic Accord Honda
04-11-2009, 02:32 AM
:bs::bs::bs:You must be a fucking terrible mechanic. The first time I did my timing belt it took me two hours from start to finish :idea:. Now it's a one hour job tops. The timing belt's are an easy replacement on these cars.

took me longer then that to change my water pump....

and it will probably take me a full day to change my civics timing belt due to lack of tools

Dr_Snooz
04-11-2009, 10:23 PM

Well, I guess I am a terrible mechanic then. Hopefully I can get good like you someday.

nsstech
04-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Well, I guess I am a terrible mechanic then. Hopefully I can get good like you someday.
Try being a junkyard/shadetree mechanic's son throughout your childhood and teenage years.

Dr_Snooz
04-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Try being a junkyard/shadetree mechanic's son throughout your childhood and teenage years.

Well crap man, don't just sit there throwing stones, give us some tips!

russiankid
04-12-2009, 08:19 AM

Wow, so because someone takes their time doing something makes them a terrible mechanic? Did it also not come to mind that we're not real mechanics, we are just regular guys who know how to do shit correctly. I can drop a transmission on these cars in 2 hours. Does that make me a terrible mechanic because I cannot do it in half an hour?

Oh btw, when you change a timing belt, its a good idea to change all the seals(crank,cam,oil pump) while you're at it. Those don't take 2 minutes to do.

slacker
04-13-2009, 10:33 PM
So I went to Boston to see my g/f over the weekend and just got back this morning. I will get back to work tomorrow afternoon :)

Yeah, don't cut that off. You're going to need it to tension the alternator belt. Try one of these steps to get it off:

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64355&highlight=rusted

There is an art to removing bolts that's largely learned by breaking them, trying to get them out once broken and lots of swearing. In general, make sure you have a reasonably good quality set of sockets. Those Chinese cheapies in the bin out in front of the store are not for you. Always make sure your sockets are seated flat and straight on the bolt. If you get the socket cockeyed, you're screwed. Also, blunt impact beats strength, better to beat on a wrench than to try and muscle it.

Change that nasty oil. Usually, it's blowby that turns your oil black. Combustion by-products blow past the piston rings and make the oil all foul. The odd thing is that your valve train looks really good, so I would think your rings are fine. It's possible you put in a high detergent oil that's scrubbed off a lot of gunk in the last 600 miles and that's why it's black. I'd change it and then watch it. If it keeps turning black, do a compression test to see what's what.

I'm with RussianKid, only Mobil 1 in my cars.

Thanks for the info! I will get right back to it tomorrow. Also many thanks for the link. I think it will really help me take care of that screw. :D

So that really helped me replace my water pump.. Thanks! (sarcastic) for the useful info.

Oh man, your life must be very though.

Wow, so because someone takes their time doing something makes them a terrible mechanic? Did it also not come to mind that we're not real mechanics, we are just regular guys who know how to do shit correctly. I can drop a transmission on these cars in 2 hours. Does that make me a terrible mechanic because I cannot do it in half an hour?

Oh btw, when you change a timing belt, its a good idea to change all the seals(crank,cam,oil pump) while you're at it. Those don't take 2 minutes to do.

WORD