PDA

View Full Version : Dual Exhaust on 1988 Accord LXi??

CarroceriaRICO
03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Hello,
I have a 1988 Honda Accord LXi Coupe (Trunk model, not lift back).
I have 1 OBX EVO style exhaust on the right rear & was wondering if I can put another one on the left rear? I currently have a second OBX EVO style exhaust & wanted to have a crossover welded to the exhaust pipe running on the right side of the car.
Would like to know if this is at all possible?
thanks
Rico

Civic Accord Honda
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
anythings doable . just take it in to an exhaust shop and they should be able to do it.

BITESIZE
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Unless you have a v8 stay single exhaust.

Civic Accord Honda
03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah that is true. a dual exhaust is pretty damn useless on the A20A . and probably wont sound to great.

turabaka
03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Unless you have a v8 stay single exhaust.

agreed. Plus it'll be impossible to fight exhaust tickets. I don't know what the law is where you live, but here if you put a dual exhaust on a car that came with single exhaust you can be ticketed regardless of how loud the car is.

alberto
03-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Ok si es posoble I saw 1 in tj and it dirent look bad and the soud wasent 2 loud but it is possible , and if you don't like it put something diferent on like taking of the back embles or chanching the teil lith's.file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/usuario/Mis%20documentos/Nueva%20carpeta/2201922468168080_1.jpg

turabaka
03-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok si es posoble I saw 1 in tj and it dirent look bad and the soud wasent 2 loud but it is possible , and if you don't like it put something diferent on like taking of the back embles or chanching the teil lith's.file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/usuario/Mis%20documentos/Nueva%20carpeta/2201922468168080_1.jpg

http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/english-do-you-speak-it-demotivational-poster.jpg
See More
(http://www.demotivateus.com)

Rendon LX-i
03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Your going to loose power more then anything else bro...just known fact ...do a 2 1/4 all the way back. and your set

AccordB20A
03-25-2009, 09:59 PM

im afraid i cannot accesssq y5our c casomputer so i xckannot see your picktures on tyour hard derive

turabaka
03-25-2009, 10:00 PM
im afraid i cannot accesssq y5our c casomputer so i xckannot see your picktures on tyour hard derive

lol.

Rendon LX-i
03-25-2009, 10:01 PM
WTF LOL^^^ arron lol dont make fun of the kid

AccordB20A
03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Just a friendly reminder in has own language (which is close to my language...typo central) that you have to upload an image to a web host before i can see it thats all. I aint a n00B basher lol

3rd Party
03-25-2009, 10:25 PM
i don't know if i'd go to the extent of saying there'd be a loss of power since most dual muffler kits are forked off from the original exhaust tracking before/after the fuel tank. you could always make headers that instead of being a complete four port header, get a two piece two port headers on the head and have them run down the car to some resonators and dump out in front of the rear wheels. HAHAHAHA

Rendon LX-i
03-25-2009, 10:26 PM
No dont tell him to do that LOL

3rd Party
03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
haha, i'm satan's little helper...spreading ricedom to all who'll take it in

MessyHonda
03-26-2009, 07:22 AM
yeah if anything just get a bigger pipe from the cat all the way to the back...it will flow much better

Joay
03-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Even if you don't lose any power, you'll be gaining weight. S2000 owners sometimes delete one of the exhausts for just that reason. Not really beneficial on a little four-banger.

CarroceriaRICO
03-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Awesome feedback!
Thanks! I will add the 2nd exhaust & tune as per needed.
I don't race this Honda, I just want to dress her up a bit & enjoy it by doing what ALL Honda's are best at, DRIVING :)

LX-incredible
03-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Dude, if you want dual exhaust get a truck. I don't think you've had a look under your car yet, there's no space for that.

Try something like this if you want to dress it up:
http://www.xtreme2k2.com/images/funny/ricer.jpg

codyJDM
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Dude, if you want dual exhaust get a truck. I don't think you've had a look under your car yet, there's no space for that.

Try something like this if you want to dress it up:

Seconded

Tomisimo
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
say what you want but I'm doing it lol. I'm going dual exhaust, but not som shitty fartcan, real mufflers. 2.5" until Y-joint and 2" to each, to keep back pressure.

turabaka
03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
say what you want but I'm doing it lol. I'm going dual exhaust, but not som shitty fartcan, real mufflers. 2.5" until Y-joint and 2" to each, to keep back pressure.

how many times does it have to be brought up before everyone understands it. Hell it's even in one of the faq's. backpressure is bad High velocity is good. So you want fast flowing exhaust gasses that don't put any backpressure on the system. aka. big enough pipe to not cause backpressure with small enough pipe to still have a high enough velocity to scavenge exhaust gasses.

AccordB20A
03-26-2009, 11:57 AM

haha that made me lol

CarroceriaRICO
03-26-2009, 12:46 PM
LOve the Red Civic with the BIG exhaust! LOL
I will post pictures of my car once the exhaust is installed.

86ccord
03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
i have dual exhaust.. check it.. :D ( sorry for crap pic. )
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh120/shogunTDH/DSC00916.jpg

wow.. i just noticed my car has changed alot.. haha

Tomisimo
03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
how many times does it have to be brought up before everyone understands it. Hell it's even in one of the faq's. backpressure is bad High velocity is good. So you want fast flowing exhaust gasses that don't put any backpressure on the system. aka. big enough pipe to not cause backpressure with small enough pipe to still have a high enough velocity to scavenge exhaust gasses.

me knuws lol.. but if you set up with 3" is to much flow, so you will lose those torque, by having hi-flow system that still have back pressure, not as much as stock exhaust but so the engine have to move the gases out abit. That way you dont loose torque. Just think, 3" downpipe, gets to 2.5 pipe to the spear wheel, from there Y-joint to two 2" piper stat goes to 2 muflers on each side. tell me that this is not a high flow set up?

SZfiftyfour
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
i have dual exhaust.. check it.. :D ( sorry for crap pic. )

^^^ :rolleyes: i hope you're joshing us, lol

turabaka
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
me knuws lol.. but if you set up with 3" is to much flow, so you will lose those torque, by having hi-flow system that still have back pressure, not as much as stock exhaust but so the engine have to move the gases out abit. That way you dont loose torque. Just think, 3" downpipe, gets to 2.5 pipe to the spear wheel, from there Y-joint to two 2" piper stat goes to 2 muflers on each side. tell me that this is not a high flow set up?

I wasn't saying it's not a good setup. I'm just saying don't confuse backpressure with exhaust velocity. Backpressure causes gasses to go back into the cylinder. Having a high exhaust gas velocity causes a vacumn to be formed, pulling the gasses out of the cylinder.

lostforawhile
03-26-2009, 03:49 PM
bugs ran duals for years,but they are tuned to the engine. if you really wanted duals, you could run to a center muffler and then split to two smaller pipes. you wouldn't lose as much exaust velocity this way. also if you did this you could run dual supertraps,to keep from losing the velocity.

lostforawhile
03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Even if you don't lose any power, you'll be gaining weight. S2000 owners sometimes delete one of the exhausts for just that reason. Not really beneficial on a little four-banger.
I don't know why they do this, they actually lose horsepower and torque, honda went to a huge amount of trouble to tune every single horsepower out of that engine. it's actually maxed out without adding a supercharger. there is just nothing left to get. ok back on topic.

3rd Party
03-26-2009, 06:52 PM

didn't we have that conversation?? hahahahaha

turabaka
03-26-2009, 09:46 PM
didn't we have that conversation?? hahahahaha

yes we did, and so help you if you bring it up again...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/nachosforever2/Animals/dramatic.gif

lol

Rendon LX-i
03-26-2009, 10:07 PM
LMAO........that made my night

3rd Party
03-26-2009, 10:13 PM
yes we did, and so help you if you bring it up again...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f22/nachosforever2/Animals/dramatic.gif

lol

hahahahaha, i think we were on the way to Jalopy when i brought that up!

Joay
03-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't know why they do this, they actually lose horsepower and torque, honda went to a huge amount of trouble to tune every single horsepower out of that engine. it's actually maxed out without adding a supercharger. there is just nothing left to get. ok back on topic.
I doubt they bother to remove one of the mufflers on a stock engine. The S2000s I've seen with that done are usually out of a magazine or on TV. I'm sure you're right, a stock F20/2 would probably suffer from that.

[/threadjack]

MessyHonda
03-28-2009, 07:32 AM
every car will need a tune...when i had my stock cat back it would rev to 5k fine...when i installed the 2.25 inch it would rev much faster at high rpms

CarroceriaRICO
03-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Well, as it turns out, the spare tire cubby hole, inside of the trunk is offset to the left (drivers side) of the car leaving virtually no room to place the exhaust muffler on the left side. Even if there was, it would be too offset & look wrong.
The muffler can, however, sit next to the EVO exhaust I already have, but even then, I would need to cut part of the inner wheel well metal to fit it in.
siigh..If anyone knows a "creative" fabricator in the Laurel MD USA area, drop me a line!