PDA

View Full Version : Bondo out trunk lid tail lights and paint?

-$MOKIN-
03-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Got a 89 2 door trunk lid which has a different tail light on it.. it has plastic attacted to the light on the bottom instead of the metal plate under it.

Had a great idea to maybe bono the plastic and sand it then pain it to loose the lights on the lid and paint it the same color as the car. i was thinking of leaving the line at the top of the light to lid and just doing the plastic piece.

Anyone see any problems i might run into or got any ideas on how to make this work?

Bondo pros out there gie me a couple tips on bondo on the plastic . can i mold it to the lid and have plastic on one side and metal on the other or should i leave the gap? And does it matter if its all goin to be bondoed or can i just take out the lines in the lights with it?

Paint pros .. . . Am i goin to have a problem when i get thia car painted that they might say they cant paint it?

84Accord
03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
are you trying to get rid of the tail lights in the trunk portion?

-$MOKIN-
03-26-2009, 10:14 AM
yea and i wanted to paint the inside where the plate sits too.

84Accord
03-26-2009, 10:17 AM
i think if you just bondoed over the plastic that itd eventually crack and come off. what i would do it take off the tails and weld in a piece of metal where the liscense plate and tails go. then paint it. it would probably look a whole lot better

-$MOKIN-
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
see thats where i come into the problem i dont weld....lol
I never thought about it cracking..damn but if i just keep it in the edges where the differnt colors come togther there is a gap right there. like a little line. what if i just fill that in and sand it? with fiberglass bondo ?

LX-incredible
03-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Only a jackass would bondo over taillights. I've never seen one that hadn't cracked.

-$MOKIN-
03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
JACKASS ?

OK maybe bondo isnt a good solution. then ..
i guess the only way is to take it somwhere and get the metal welded in.
I bet there goin to charge me out the azz.

84Accord
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
JACKASS ?

OK maybe bondo isnt a good solution. then ..
i guess the only way is to take it somwhere and get the metal welded in.
I bet there goin to charge me out the azz.

you could try bondo but there is a big possibility of it cracking. the cheapest way would be to find a friend with a welder and experiment with welding.

Civic Accord Honda
03-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Only a jackass would bondo over taillights. I've never seen one that hadn't cracked.

dammit. you said exactly what i was going to say! :lol:

do it the proper way which is don't do it at all.

BITESIZE
03-26-2009, 11:33 AM
You could fiberglass over it too. It would be a good way to learn.

russiankid
03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
......why?! It looks like ass.

BITESIZE
03-26-2009, 11:57 AM
^^that's our opinion, but he might like it. To each their own eh?

-$MOKIN-
03-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Yep to each my own. if i could i owld like to jsut weld a piece in and have no plates there then move my plates to the bumper with usung a intergra rear bumper.
To much tho. and thanks for all the sarcasim ..There sint nothin like it. What ever happens. my ride will still be rollin and hopefully will be done someday. Thanks for the input hope your guys projects are commming out like mine is

Joay
03-26-2009, 01:52 PM
So, like (sorry, A18A)...

http://designbyjoey.com/ca6/trunkwut.jpg

?

84Accord
03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
looking at that ^. doesn't look as good. maybe if you kept liscense plate where it originally is.

cubert
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
looking at that ^. doesn't look as good. maybe if you kept liscense plate where it originally is.

Yea..if the plate were kept in the trunk lid i think it would look decent

lostforawhile
03-26-2009, 02:40 PM
if you can't weld then you are going to need to use fiberglass, you will have to back it up with something too. bondo will never work. if you put the plate in the rear bumper, you need to find something with a recessed plate and add that section to the bumper.

Civic Accord Honda
03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
if you can't weld then you are going to need to use fiberglass, you will have to back it up with something too. bondo will never work. if you put the plate in the rear bumper, you need to find something with a recessed plate and add that section to the bumper.

or he could be like all the ricers and just scerw the rear plate on on to the side of the bumper tilted sideways

-$MOKIN-
03-26-2009, 06:55 PM
I THINK ITS BAD AS HELL. Its not just throw a piece of metal on there and weld it. you actually need like 4 pieces to weld together . But i like the idea. Sorta old school shaving.

Tommy AC89 Thailand
03-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Swap it to VIGOR trunk like this
http://rcw.ms/forums/picture.php?albumid=408&pictureid=4090

Joay
03-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Swap it to VIGOR trunk like this
Did the stock rear bumper hold the license plate on a Vigor?
I agree that would look far better than hacking up the stock USDM trunk.

mykwikcoupe
03-29-2009, 09:32 PM
ok yes but did the voigor come in a coupe style to help usa coupe owners out since the sedan lights dont fit the coupes? Also how much would shipping a trunklid halfway round the world cost?

A18A
03-29-2009, 10:03 PM
nope they didn't come in coupes, but they can be made to fit as seen here:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/vigor1.jpg
http://www.89accord.com/kars892.jpg

Hazwan
03-29-2009, 10:17 PM
^^ Looks cool, but I can't stand the uneven gaps.

Tommy AC89 Thailand
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
nope they didn't come in coupes, but they can be made to fit as seen here:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/Wendy_girl/vigor1.jpg
http://www.89accord.com/kars892.jpg

Yes. I have seen this photo one time before.

-$MOKIN-
03-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Well im glad i got a lot of responce to the trunk lid portion that i wanted to try to do somthing with.

I like the vigor rear light accembly but its still not whta im lookin for. And i think that i am just goin to stay with the stock tail light for now. I dont have money to shave it the right way and the way that i see it. So my money needs to go towards other things on the car.

Any one got a garage and a compressor in th ohio area with alot of times on there hands. I thnk its time to start getttin the body ready for paint. Im getttin sick of all the dings and bings in it . And i want to get her lookin clean .

Tommy thanks for your pics. i love the vigor rear end and i think it makes the back looks way better with the plates not being there.Also Tommy i want4ed to sak you about where you got your mounts for your h22. Send me a message. IM real interested in your engine swap. Like do you have any more pics that you havent posted of the swap and i wanted to see how you did the wireharness. Can you create a new thread and maybe show us your process of the swapp. And tell us about al the head ache you had with it. Im interested .