PDA

View Full Version : my carb is open all the time the flap

bwallace530
03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
i saw it today when i opened up the air box Idk if this is so post to be like it but it is making a bad clicking sound coming from where the air filter box is and the carb but im not sure what it is. And my idle is really weird. and the the car dies sometimes i checked the plugs there all good the wire are too the cap is too just changed the gas filters too. and put some chevron techdcron.... gas cleanger but it didnt do anything.
and it is still the same problem

i need some help the car gets to a real low idle and the light start dimming almost at like 100rpm then goes up to 1000 and wants to die and it just keeps on doing it. i have to like hold my break at the stop light and put my foot on the gas at the same time to keep it from dieing!!!

Dr_Snooz
03-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Techron is a fuel system cleaner. You'll need to run the entire tank through before noticing any improvement.

Have you found all the vacuum leaks? Those are easy (and cheap) to look for, so check every connection thoroughly. Failing that, I'd start looking at the carb. Look for the obvious, stuff not plugged in, things that are clearly broken, etc.

It's possible that the carb needs to be rebuilt. It's also possible that you just need to be persistent in your care. Be consistent with good fluids, good gas, etc. You've already found some surprises (like the ECU being unplugged) so give yourself time to find the rest of the surprises before resorting to things like carb rebuilds, etc.

If you need to get it fixed right away, then I'd say take it to a shop, but be careful. Ask them to diagnose the problem only. Tell us what they tell you and then fix it yourself. I did that a lot when I was learning to fix cars. Now I'm to the point if I can't fix it, the shop can't either. Be patient and persistent. You can fix it.

Good luck.

Dr_Snooz
03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Describe the clicking? Is it keeping time with the engine or is it keeping some other time or just random?

Describe the open flap more. It sounds like the choke butterfly, but I'm not sure. If itthe choke is not closed when the car is cold, it will run horribly. Otherwise, it shouldn't cause a problem.

bwallace530
03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Describe the clicking? Is it keeping time with the engine or is it keeping some other time or just random?

Describe the open flap more. It sounds like the choke butterfly, but I'm not sure. If itthe choke is not closed when the car is cold, it will run horribly. Otherwise, it shouldn't cause a problem.

yeah it is open a lil bit i was looking at other carbs and they were all the way closed and i think its the butterfly that u mentiond it write when u open up the air box and take off the mess filter over the carb and around in that area is the clicking sound and it is kinda going with the engine but im not 100% i will listen more closely 2marrow and i can get some pics up of what i see if that would help.

Dr_Snooz
03-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Video would be good.

bwallace530
03-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Video would be good.

yeah i will get a video of it 2marrow the car runs so much better too.

bwallace530
03-30-2009, 08:03 PM
how do i upload a video on