PDA

View Full Version : What is this??

Tdurr
03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
What is this for? Doing a vac removal and dont know what it is...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/wut.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/wut.jpg

Pico
03-26-2009, 08:06 PM
opens the secondaries in the intake, I believe

Tdurr
03-26-2009, 08:08 PM
can i have them always open if i just hook it straight to the intake mani? lol

Pico
03-26-2009, 08:10 PM
can i have them always open if i just hook it straight to the intake mani? lol

not sure if thats possible. may either run like crap or waste fuel like a SOB.

Tdurr
03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
well fuck. lol. Guess vac removal is a no go :(

Pico
03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
well fuck. lol. Guess vac removal is a no go :(

I might be wrong.
Wait for someone else to chime in on this one, but I figured with it wide open it would just be sucking in air at low speeds which cant be good for mileage

Strugglebucket
03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
If you just disconnect it, the secondaries will stay open. They're held closed by vacuum.

and search gawdermit. there's like a billion threads on how that thing works.

Tdurr
03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
lol i dono wut its even called. Give me a title to search for...
Edit: searched secondary and didnt find shit. so yea.

Civic Accord Honda
03-26-2009, 09:03 PM
its for the butterflys yes? i just removed mine from my civic :D

Strugglebucket
03-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Sorry, maybe the threads are more buried than I thought. I know it used to be discussed a lot.

Anyway, they're held closed by vacuum until 5k, where the vacuum gets switched off by a solenoid controled by the ecu.

the vacuum hose off the diaphram actuator is #13 which connects to the vacuum hose rail (if you're using it). then from the other end of the rail #13 goes to the black box, where it is connected to a solenoid. the other hose connected to the soleniod is #12 which exits the black box and then goes to a vacuum canister (as epic mentioned), from which it continues on to the rail (the section of #12 between the canister and the rail has a little filter on it) and finally exits the rail and connects to the intake manifold.

the solenoid has two wires connected to it: black and yellow. the black wire is constant +12 and the yellow wire is the switched ground which actuates the solenoid. i don't remember if the ground is normally open or normally closed

Rendon LX-i
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
the person i would ask is Lx-incridiable

3rd Party
03-26-2009, 10:24 PM
OR i get 350+ miles to the tank with it off...sounds like it's useless...it's a diaphragm that provides a, "soft" resistance when the rotor comes back around to it's resting position. if you have the hose connected to this diaphragm and move the throttle rotor around and let it, "slap" against the stopper the rotor rests on you can hear the diaphragm pull air...SO one could conclude that this piece is unnecessary and clearly there to catch the throttle rotor if you throw the car into neutral while coming to a stop and your revs are above 2k??

LX-incredible
03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
If you just disconnect it, the secondaries will stay open. They're held closed by vacuum.

Correct. I left it disconnected after the obd1 conversion.

When closed they are supposed to help with low end torque due to the longer path the air has to take.

3rd Party
03-26-2009, 10:55 PM
what secondaries??

LX-incredible
03-26-2009, 10:55 PM
OR i get 350+ miles to the tank with it off...sounds like it's useless...it's a diaphragm that provides a, "soft" resistance when the rotor comes back around to it's resting position. if you have the hose connected to this diaphragm and move the throttle rotor around and let it, "slap" against the stopper the rotor rests on you can hear the diaphragm pull air...SO one could conclude that this piece is unnecessary and clearly there to catch the throttle rotor if you throw the car into neutral while coming to a stop and your revs are above 2k??
I think you have it confused with the idle dashpot, which was not present on the 88-89 models.

3rd Party
03-26-2009, 10:57 PM
i guess that's what drinking does...that looks exactly like the diaphragm connected to the throttle rotor on my '87

Rendon LX-i
03-27-2009, 06:26 AM
well i would just leave it and keep that module. rather just keep it bro.

3rd Party
03-27-2009, 06:30 AM
why does the earlier models not come with, "secondaries?"

Rendon LX-i
03-27-2009, 06:33 AM
they didnt think of it? its kinda like okay where going to make a VTak...i call it a prevtak. i rather not have it. i here nothing but bs bout them.

Tdurr
03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
sweet, thanks lix-incredible. gonna leave it un plugged.
btw, u gotz another pm.

Strugglebucket
03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Correct. I left it disconnected after the obd1 conversion.

When closed they are supposed to help with low end torque due to the longer path the air has to take.

If you get an rpm switch, you can make the secondaries still work without needing a trigger from the ecu. You can also fine tune the engagement point.

I have one of these and it works great: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D830449&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Oldblueaccord
03-27-2009, 04:12 PM
i guess that's what drinking does...that looks exactly like the diaphragm connected to the throttle rotor on my '87

I really think it is a carb part they just reused. Same type of operation. The intake has two paths short runners and longer runners. If you do a google search there some cut out pictures floating around. Its pretty common on FI cars on and off depending on what engineer is lead.

wp