PDA

View Full Version : were do you get your 3g parts?

JordanQ
03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
i was trying to decide on wether or not to rebuild this a20a2 engine but it looks like i'm gunna need to get another block.

so were would you get yourself a 3gee block ?

nfs480
03-28-2009, 05:47 PM
hondaautomotiveparts.com

Dr_Snooz
03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
hondaautomotiveparts.com

I think he's looking for a block. That'll get a bit spendy, assuming you can still get new blocks which you probably can't.

Go to the junk yard. Of course, most of the blocks out there are going to be beat to Hades. You can find some good stuff, but it'll require persistence. You can call around to wrecking yards, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone who has a 3g block anymore. Used JDM engine importers are another possibility, but again, the engines are getting rare. Just keep looking and be persistent and you'll find something.

JordanQ
03-28-2009, 10:38 PM
so how do i know if a block is good (in a junker 3gee) without opening it up?

Joay
03-29-2009, 02:35 AM
Apart from cracking or warping, can a block really get that beaten up? That's like the last thing that's going to fail in an engine. If you find a 3G at a junkyard that's been t-boned or otherwise smashed, and the engine wasn't smacked into the firewall, the block ought to be good, shouldn't it?

JordanQ
03-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Apart from cracking or warping, can a block really get that beaten up? That's like the last thing that's going to fail in an engine. If you find a 3G at a junkyard that's been t-boned or otherwise smashed, and the engine wasn't smacked into the firewall, the block ought to be good, shouldn't it?

you make a good point, i will check the junk yards next weekend (after i get my 3gee)

but what if, on the off chance, its there for the same reason my dx would normally be there?

thrown rod/ metal chips in oil/engine is toast?
how would i know without pulling the engine?

lostforawhile
03-29-2009, 09:13 AM
the engines aren't that rare, usually there's a bunch of them at the yard here. there are a lot of 3 geez sedans on the road that are beat to crap,but still running. these are super tough blocks, most of them are in the yard due to blown head gaskets, you can warp the head all to crap but it's really hard to warp this closed deck chunk of iron block. even if it is it's usually so slight that a light machining can bring it right back to level. if it needs rings an overbore and oversized pistons will usually bring it right back.

JordanQ
03-29-2009, 09:29 AM
so do you think that given the circumstances, all my cord would need is (worse case) a block, pistons, rods, and possibly the crankshaft?

Dr_Snooz
03-29-2009, 10:40 AM
The cylinder walls can get scored up. I've been surprised to see honing on a lot of the blocks at the yard. Even if there isn't, you can over-bore like Lost says so that's maybe not such a big deal. The block can overheat and warp, but it's not super likely. A bigger area of concern for me is the head gasket surface. That seems to be a more difficult area. You want to look for grooves in the gasket surface around the cylinders where the reinforced parts of the original head gasket used to be. That would tend to impede a good head gasket seal or at least would be a likely failure point down the road. I guess you could plane down that surface, get a thicker gasket and make due. I'm looking for another 500,000 motor, so those options don't appeal to me very much. I guess it's all what you're looking for. For what it's worth, we do seem to see a lot of head gasket failures here, so I would be pretty finicky about a good sealing surface more than anything else.