PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready to Replace Head Gasket

SILENT
03-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Well today i bought a Honda oem head gasket. My question is what the other things should i replace beside the T-belt and water pump!!! Im planing on removing the cylinder head with the intake manifold!!! Also got exhaust manifold gasket ready!!!

Rendon LX-i
03-28-2009, 08:19 PM
replace timing belt and tensior and oil pump. the might as well stuff...better off that way..

88Accord-DX
03-28-2009, 10:18 PM
It depends on how much time & money you want to spend on it. There are some other things that could be replaced if you don't want trouble down the road. Here is list from important to least.
timing belt tensioner/idler pulley
valve cover gasket
front crankshaft seal
PCV hose -hope it don't break removing it
valve stem seals
oil pump (optional)

Demon1024
03-29-2009, 12:19 AM
the oil jet in the head needs to be resized. i think it was 1/8 drill bit does it. i'd suggest looking it up before you do it tho

SILENT
03-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Awesome info guys!!! Thank you!!! can I get the pcv hose oem from honda or just make one out of some rolled rubber hose???

Dr_Snooz
03-29-2009, 10:31 AM
the oil jet in the head needs to be resized. i think it was 1/8 drill bit does it. i'd suggest looking it up before you do it tho

I thought they had that fixed by '89. Did I mis-read that?

88Accord-DX
03-30-2009, 05:42 PM
can I get the pcv hose oem from honda or just make one out of some rolled rubber hose???
You should be able to order one from your local dealer. I don't think a rolled rubber hose will work for the PCV fitting.

SILENT
03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
how frequently does the oil pump go bad on the 3geez???

'A20A3'
03-31-2009, 05:45 PM
i dunno i've never heard of it. except on B-series. if you do replace it try to get a Honda OEM oil pump. and when you replace the T-belt tensioner replace the tensioner spring and the bolt. you can also get those from majestic.

MessyHonda
04-02-2009, 07:00 AM
yeah most of the time when people replace them is when they are doing engine rebuilds...for the a20 is not common to replace them due to failure

SILENT
04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Need Help I cant get the freaking crank pulley out... I bought a tool from matco but its too big!!!

https://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/MST6010A.jpg

I heard the chain will damage the pulley... I plan to reuse it so thats definetly not an option... Anyone know exactly want tool i need to pull the pulley off??? Need to buy it ASAP

griffonks
04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
That Matco tool is for a 4th gen accord. I made one out of a plumbing part with a little grinding and welding. For my 3G crank pulley I used the chain around the frame bolted thru the pulley hole along with a screwdriver in the gear and did not damage the pulley. But it could happen though. The best and safest bet would be to use an impact wrench. There is no tool 4 a 3G crank pulley that I know of.

Rendon LX-i
04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
rent or use a electric impact wrench TRUST Me they work....and the crank pully should just slide off with some wiggle...or use a rubber malet and give it some soft taps...

SILENT
04-14-2009, 06:08 PM
thanks for all the input... i gots an electric 1/2" impact from Snap-On rated @ 500 Ft. lbs and i hope that will do it!!! Tomarrow will be the big day!!! Have To Find a camera so I can take some piks!!! Definetly have to post pics of the rebulit head!!!

Dr_Snooz
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
rent or use a electric impact wrench TRUST Me they work....and the crank pully should just slide off with some wiggle...or use a rubber malet and give it some soft taps...

Pfft. The one I used just made a lot of noise. Did manage to crack the impact socket I was using though.

Pico
04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
I had to borrow my friends Impact gun when I did mine, not sure on the rating but it was one heavy SOB.
Took the crank bolt right off with only two hits of the gun.

Rendon LX-i
04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Pfft. The one I used just made a lot of noise. Did manage to crack the impact socket I was using though.

I mean there not the greatest but did it for me...took like 4 pushes of the button and came out...lol ear muffs my friend ear muffs lol