PDA

View Full Version : Headliner removal

King Peetis
03-30-2009, 02:24 AM
I hate to beat a dead horse but Im not having any luck finding a thread for step-by-step headliner removal. Who knows the easiest and safest way to remove the headliner with little to no broken plastic? I have an 88 LX-i hatch. Thanks in advance:bow:

87roach
03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Hmm well it may be pretty hard to not break anything in the process. You have to remove the top seat belt hanger so that the plastic behind it can come off, I forget what order you take them off in but it's in the manual. Mirror(there is a little plug snap under the mirror you have to take out, there are also a couple more 1 on each side I think; middle, dome light, and I think I left that trim piece(rubber) on the back to avoid any damage to the liner. The only problem I see is the 2 pieces running down the a pillar because you can't really get them out(or back in) without removing the dash, but you may not need to remove them since your just unclipping the top anyway. Once you manage to get it free open the hatch and slide it out the back.

Eh sorry for the poor description but I can't remember the exact process as I was taking all the plastic out anyway so it did not matter in my case.

Dr_Snooz
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Start by pulling off the plastic trim on the sides of the car above the doors. Remove any screws (like the clothes hook) that might be holding it in place. You don't need to remove it completely. Just enough so you uncover the edges of the headliner. I didn't have to remove the front seat belt anchors because I have a coupe (they're attached to the door) but I did have to remove the rear seat belt anchors. Remove the light, mirror and visors. You'll have to pull out three silly plastic plugs holding the headliner in place. There is one under the mirror and two at the tops of the B-pillars. If you break them, don't trip because they're overkill really. Just grab them with a needle nose, give them a yank and try not to tear your headliner. Finally, there are a number of steel clips that hold the headliner up in front and back. Chances are very good that you will break a few of them. Try to break the ones in front because your mirror and visors will hold that side up if you break them. Once you have broken those, pull the entire liner toward the back of the car to free the back.

Good luck!

King Peetis
04-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Snooz and Roach: thanks so much for the feedback. I'll be pulling that bad boy down this weekend...