PDA

View Full Version : gas needle ERRATIC!

johnnygo
03-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Ok I will try my best to explain this. I have done a complete tune up on my car = Cap, rotor, wires , plugs , K&n air filter, both primary and secondary wix fuel filters, k&n oil filter and oil change, and rebuilt carbureator. Oh and pcv valve.

My vehicle 1987 Honda accord Lx

Im not sure if I get really lousy fuel mileage or there is something else wrong.

I fill up my gas tank but my fuel gauge needle never quite makes it all the way to the F . I will be driving and I can almost swear I can see my needle go down as I drive. In a couple of days of short driving my needle is at a 1/4 tank and all of sudden it shoot up to 3/4 of a tank and stays there for a while and then I stop turn off the car and when I start driving again it goes back down to a 1/4 and then shoots up again.

Any thoughts?

Pico
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
sounds like the problem I had with a faulty sending unit.
Changed it with a j/y unit and all fixed

johnnygo
03-31-2009, 07:10 PM
was your gas mileage actually crappy or was it just reading wrong?

Im worried I might get stranded somewhere If I dont put gas in her everyday.

Thanks for the help Pico.

Pico
03-31-2009, 07:37 PM
was your gas mileage actually crappy or was it just reading wrong?

Im worried I might get stranded somewhere If I dont put gas in her everyday.

Thanks for the help Pico.

just reading wrong in my case, I was still averaging about 340 miles to the tank

griffonks
04-01-2009, 06:31 AM
I don't know what is up with your fuel gauge, but did you replace the O2 sensor when you tuned up? An old corroded sensor could wreck the fuel efficiency. There is only one on the carbed models and it's easy to reach.

lostforawhile
04-01-2009, 06:55 AM
that wouldn't make the needle go back UP, have you cleaned the contacts where the plug goes into the top of the sending unit? just unplug it and make sure they aren't dirty or corroded.

johnnygo
04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
No I'll do that today though otherwise its a junkyard I will be a goin!

just another excuse for me to go on the hunt for rare parts!:D

johnno
04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
mines is krazy 2 but not as bad when i hit the gas it goes up but whe i stop it goes back down

MessyHonda
04-12-2009, 06:30 PM
could be the the sender not having a good ground

johnnygo
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't know what is up with your fuel gauge, but did you replace the O2 sensor when you tuned up? An old corroded sensor could wreck the fuel efficiency. There is only one on the carbed models and it's easy to reach.

Yeah I changed out the o2 sensor but like lost said I dont think that could be an issue.

well I cleaned the ground and contacts at the electrical connections on top of the tank and it seemed to have done the trick. smooth and steady now.

But now I have another problem. I took out a spark plug to read how it was burning and upon putting it back in I did not line up the thread correctly and now I have a spurt of air coming out. TOTAL FAIL!

lostforawhile
04-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah I changed out the o2 sensor but like lost said I dont think that could be an issue.

well I cleaned the ground and contacts at the electrical connections on top of the tank and it seemed to have done the trick. smooth and steady now.

But now I have another problem. I took out a spark plug to read how it was burning and upon putting it back in I did not line up the thread correctly and now I have a spurt of air coming out. TOTAL FAIL!check with summit racing,they make a helicoil setup that doesn't require drilling for spark plugs, not sure how good it is,but it's your only option,without pulling the head.