PDA

View Full Version : manual choke

mephi
03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm trying to set up a manual choke. I have everything hooked up properly, but the cable doesn't work worth crap. I guess I have to take all of the slack out of it or something. Not really used to the cable actuated things.

Does anyone have any experience with this and what is the best way to get rid of all the slack.

2oodoor
04-10-2009, 10:26 AM
You can pull the cable out of the housing some, but not all the way, so you can trim off the excess housing you do not need.
You can adjust the slack by screwin in your throttle stop far enough to allow the choke to set. Then make the necessary adjustments, and return the throttle stop screw to normal. You just want it to open and close the choke with no more travel than necessary. You want as little or no binding at all in the operation of it.

mephi
04-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks. That was kind of what I was thinking. Still trying to get the hang of the carburetors. It's kind of fun to run a car with an old antiquated technology.

turabaka
04-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Don't forget that you have to open the throttle a bit to be able to engage or disengage the choke. I forgot about that, and thought that the cable wasn't setup right at first. Yes, yes, I know, I'm a dumbass sometimes.