PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Rack

Cody
03-31-2009, 09:51 PM
I have leaky seals on my p/s rack. I bought some p/s stop-leak treatment but im a bit reluctant to use it because apparently hondas need the genuine power steering fluid and you cant fool around with treatments because they're pretty delicate in that department.

I'm of the opinion that because its an older car it might not be such a bad idea to use it, however I rang up a honda parts guy I know and he said that'd be a bad idea.

My question is has anyone else on this board used powersteer stop-leak or something similar, and if so how long ago and has it cause any problems thus far?

lostforawhile
03-31-2009, 09:56 PM
I have leaky seals on my p/s rack. I bought some p/s stop-leak treatment but im a bit reluctant to use it because apparently hondas need the genuine power steering fluid and you cant fool around with treatments because they're pretty delicate in that department.

I'm of the opinion that because its an older car it might not be such a bad idea to use it, however I rang up a honda parts guy I know and he said that'd be a bad idea.

My question is has anyone else on this board used powersteer stop-leak or something similar, and if so how long ago and has it cause any problems thus far?
don't put that shit in your system!!! i went from a small leak to everything leaking in a week from the lucas stuff. it will ruin the rack seals,the seals on the speed sensor in the tranny, and the pump seals. it swells the seals to make them work better,this is fine until they harden and shrink. in about a week you will have opened the flood gates of power steering fluid.

AZmike
03-31-2009, 10:02 PM
The worst that could happen is you have to replace your already leaking rack and possibly your power steering pump shaft seal. You don't have much to lose, but I wouldn't expect an additive to help.

If I was in your situation I'd plan on replacing the rack and flushing the system with Honda PSF.

lostforawhile
03-31-2009, 10:09 PM
The worst that could happen is you have to replace your already leaking rack and possibly your power steering pump shaft seal. You don't have much to lose, but I wouldn't expect an additive to help.

If I was in your situation I'd plan on replacing the rack and flushing the system with Honda PSF.
there are special o rings in the pump,the additive eats the o rings and turns them into goo,i had no leaks from my pump until i used it

Cody
04-01-2009, 06:05 PM
this is bad news! Re-doing the rack is a big job man, cant afford it at the moment, best i cant do for now is not turn the wheel to full lock, cus that's when it wants to dump all the fluid. It sucks cus I got registration coming up in a month.