PDA

View Full Version : failed emission fixes anyone?

rocky2
09-29-2002, 07:20 AM
One bad thing about a carbed 3-g is failed emission tests. Anybody have a story to share how they passed?

I'm thinking replaceing catalytic converter,just want to check here to see if that worked for someone already.

POS carb
09-29-2002, 04:47 PM
ok 1st off you must have no leaks in your exhaust or it will make the computer readings go weird

I did my test with an automatic trans on one of the loaded roller tests (they apply strain to the engine fucking california enviro bastards). I flunked the first test bad (emmission and visual inspection) and did real good on the second

I also had a Pacesetter high-flow cat (about 7 months of use?) and a Pacesetter catback. EGR and air suction was still connected (make sure air suction works, it helps a lot!)

*I filled the tires above recommended pressure to reduce rolling resistance
*I used 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol in a full tank of 91 octane (yea, cali environmentalists even screw with the gasoline, get 93) to reduce NOx emmissions
*I set my ignition to 14 degrees (factory spec was 15 for carb auto) I failed the 1st test and found out I was running around 20 degrees b/c the vacuum thermovalve was fucked and was giving me extra advance which I solved by stuffing a BB in the line (to maintain stock appearance, I also failed visual inspection 1st time)
*I used a halfass smog test machine to set the idle mixture and monitor my readings. Set it to get the lowest CO emmissions at idle but don't go too far or HC or NOx goes up (don't remember which). use the air jet controller at higher RPMs
*Get some carb cleaner, some new plugs, and an oil change and a bottle of STP 4-cyl oil treatment. Do the oil change and drive the car RIGHT AFTER (don't drive around for 3 days) to the smog place, for some reason this helps!!
*Make sure your cooling system is up to par
*Drive around to heat the catalytic converter, a hot cat works better
*make sure your valves are set correctly

That should get you real damn close to passing. My car did great. Ask me any questions u may have.

pimp86LX
09-29-2002, 06:44 PM
Recently i did a smog test (ontario really sucks for these) and i failed. My nox was really low and my HC's were just over. My real problem is with my co% wich is 3.87 So..i'm like ok whatever, i changed the cat believeing that was the problem but no...same readings for test #2. What can cause really hi co%? i really need my car and i'm getting pissed off at all this

oh, egr is good

POS carb
09-30-2002, 07:49 AM
high Co means you're running too rich

pimp86LX
09-30-2002, 11:12 AM
uhmk and what can cause that? aside from the a/f screw?

89LXcoupe
10-22-2003, 12:52 AM
OK...I failed too. HC and CO, but olny the driving test, I passed fine for idle any bright ideas?

greekguy7
10-22-2003, 04:33 AM
I failed mine with a marginally high CO reading.

What I did that made me pass the seond time around with flying colors is:

Change the oil, air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs. I also retested the car maikng sure the engine was HOT and filled up with Amoco/BP 93 octane gas.

This is all basic tune-up stuff anyway. I would also consider replacing your O2 sensor, if applicable, and of course make sure your carb is not runnig too rich.

89LXcoupe
10-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I need to get my car through aircare. I came close last time but failed the driving CO and HO tests. I had a bunch of tune up work done a few months ago to get this result. The mechanic said it might pass, but I needed a new cat to ensure it. I was really close to passing a few months ago and I was hoping to get through with some tricks...like going through running hot...using an additive....any other ideas. I would try to leqan the mixture out, but apparently adusting the carb above idle is close to impossible in our cars...I also think I might have an exhaust leak ( around the braided exhasut section) I read somewhere that this can screw with the computers....would fixing this help (I'm guessing this would be fairly inexpensive). Thanks for all your help.

Mike

k-roy
10-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by rocky2
One bad thing about a carbed 3-g is failed emission tests. Anybody have a story to share how they passed?

I'm thinking replaceing catalytic converter,just want to check here to see if that worked for someone already.

Move to a state with no testing.

Silver86LX
10-22-2003, 01:39 PM
I failed my e-test pretty bad. It turned out I was burning too rich a mixture and I needed a new catalytic converter. So 2 e-tests later, I finally passed. I know someone that has an '86 Toyota Corolla (carbed) and it took him 4 times to get the car to pass. Carbed cars are bitches when it comes to getting them to pass emissions testing.

NXRacer
10-22-2003, 03:46 PM
thats a reason why i love salem......*sits back in non-DEQ bliss....*

89LXcoupe
10-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Well I went and picked up a bottle of "Guaranteed to Pass" and some oil treatment and I am happy to say I pass aircare with no problems. Before Ihave digh CO and HC emmissions during the driving test, but whatever is in this bottle seemed to help things out a lot!!

rocky2
10-25-2003, 06:13 AM
I tried everything,sold my 1988 dx,now I'm driving a 1988 lxi. You know what the bad thing was? I put a 1986 carbed engine in the 1988 and guess what? The standards are tougher in 1988 then in 1986. Honda's like the only one trying to pass strict emmisions of 1988 with a carbed engine,fuel injection just burns cleaner.

k-roy
10-25-2003, 11:03 AM
My 88 Mitsubishi was carbed, it would have failed the tests if I had to put it through them.