PDA

View Full Version : Price of a head rebuild???

johnnygo
04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Does anyone have an idea or have recently had their head rebuilt and knows how much it cost to have a head cleaned , rebuilt maybe an angle job?

I am in the los angeles area if that help any.

AZmike
04-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I've have two A20A heads rebuilt. The first time was $150 + $10 for an exhaust valve. That included crack test, cleaning, resurfacing, cutting valve seats, replacing stem seals (that I provided). All I had to do was adjust the valves. That was a few years ago though. More recently it was about $180 for the same service on another A20 head. Unfortunately the machinist found a crack on one of the valve seats and I ended up paying $75 to exchange the bad head for one of his cores to rebuild.

A newer Civic head that didn't need a valve job was $90 for a cleaning, check, and resurface.

I'm sure the price depends a lot on region though.

mephi
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
The machine shop in my town was going to charge me almost $400, I have to find a new machine shop.

88Accord-DX
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
It's been a few years back, but I think I had my head rebuilt for around $175 or so. I just had the valves & seats re-ground, valve springs check for compression- square, cleaned & pressure tested. I did provide valve stem seals, so that lowered the cost. Overall, my head was in good shape for that work to be done. Most shops will not warranty their work unless they pressure test the head.

The angle job will cost more that a simple rebuild, cutting the seats & valves to a 3 angle performance spec.

johnnygo
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
The machine shop in my town was going to charge me almost $400, I have to find a new machine shop.

WOW $400 for sure NEW SHOP!

So if I provide my own stuff like the valve seals maybe new springs studs

cost will go down.

88Accord-DX
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
WOW $400 for sure NEW SHOP!
So if I provide my own stuff like the valve seals maybe new springs studs
cost will go down.

Yeah, I'd find a new shop for sure. It is common procedure to replace valve stem seals in a rebuild. I just happen to have them in a master rebuild kit. It might make no difference in price much providing your own. Just ask the shop & do some price comparison on your own.

King Peetis
04-07-2009, 02:06 AM
We have a head shop here in Atlanta called "Dover" cylinder head exchange. Their reputation is impeccable. They want $280.00 for a completely rebuilt head that has also been pressure tested. Not bad if you ask me. If you can’t do better, shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do to help you out.

SILENT
04-08-2009, 07:17 AM
My local machine shop said $350 to rebuild can i find a new one in that price???

2ndGenGuy
04-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Maybe the higher prices you guys are seeing includes the parts. And those of you seeing the lower price, is with you providing the parts. Don't cheap out on a head rebuild. Find the most reputable shop.

itzdave
04-08-2009, 10:23 AM
well, when i lived in oklahoma, the place that built mine charged about 125 for crack test, pressure test,, check springs, resurface, install new valve seals (which i provided), 3 angle valve job, and for an extra 20$ they will give a nice lil P+P.