PDA

View Full Version : dry cell???

kennycm
09-29-2002, 09:08 AM
someone please help me. how much is a dry cell battery? where can i get it from? what does it do? does it connect to the alternator? does it connect to the primary battery? do i put it in the trunk? how long does it last? do i need to recharge it? i know that this is a lot of questions but please help me somebody.............anybody...................... ..:crying: :crying:

shepherd79
09-29-2002, 09:18 AM
i have seen them at advanced autoparts stores, and i am sure you can find it at your local audio store.
they are expensive, $100-150. Sometimes even more.

DBMaster
09-29-2002, 10:59 AM
It's not exactly a DRY cell. It has an electrolyte paste "rolled" up in the lead plating. The battery is made up of six of these "jelly rolls." The batteries are leak proof and can be mounted in any position.

I have only seen the Optima Battery. It is supposed to last twice as long as a regular battery, but then it costs twice as much ($129 where I have seen it)

I would consider it though if you are going to be relocating the battery to the trunk or inside somewhere because it won't have any chance of leaking acid onto your carpet.

Bobs89LXi
09-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally, these type batteries were designed specifically for car stereo applications due to thier "no leak" feature. I would highly recommend them if you are planning on mounting the extra battery in the trunk. Spillage is not the only danger with lead-acid batteries. Explosive gases are also released during the charging process. This can be dangerous in an enclosed trunk.

DBMaster
09-30-2002, 06:49 AM
Bob, glad you mentioned that. I actually meant to say that, too. The testing of these batteries head-to-head with the better liquid acid batteries in Consumer Reports was disappointing as the Optima Red Top did not even score as well in reserve capacity or real cranking amps compared to the others. Of course, they did not test how well the batteries hold up to heat which is where I think the Optima has an advantage.

The Optima battery is still a lead acid battery. It just uses different types of plates and acid than a standard car battery. The plates are designed to "soak up" the gelled acid and are made into rolls. That is why the Optima battery jar actually looks kind of like a six pack instead of the standard box shape. Because the acid is absorbed into the plates themselves and the battery is sealed you get no leakage and no outgassing.

I will modify my statement from before to say I would definitley use this battery if I were relocating it to the trunk. I amy end up getting this as my next battery, but I still have trouble getting past the price!

RobT5580
10-01-2002, 10:14 AM
I have the Yellow Top Optima in my trunk and it has been great for me. I have had it for about 2 years and it cranks over no problem in cold winter days as my regular battery would crank very slow. It was expensive but worth it to me.