PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the Ksports full body coilovers today

phillie
04-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Will take 2 weeks to get them. Part # is chd240-kp. Heres a link to Ksport for the details on it. Coilover Link. (http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/coilovers_detail.asp?product_id=cd01)

I already picked up some Si's so I have something to lower it on and I also got some prelude control arms to help with some of the adjustments. Can' t wait to get everything on. I"ll be sure to take some before and after pics.

Heres the Contact info to order the Coilovers. Talk with ADAM and tell him Philip referred you and he'll know what you're looking for.

www.modernhonda.com
[email protected]
763-545-3800

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/Ksports003.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/Ksports004.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/Ksports.jpg

Before:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/031909006.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/031909007.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/031909008.jpg

After:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/050909004.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/050909018.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/050909019.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/mariashores/Accord/050909023.jpg

Tdurr
04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
fucking sick. I wish i had money like that for my car atm :(

Joay
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Holy crap dude, I hope those are awesome. You could've bought two or three running 3Geez for that much. Looking forward to pics and a road test!
[Edit] Guess you can change your signature now. :)

phillie
04-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Lol yeah I need to change my sig. My struts are pretty much blown out and I don't want to waste money on some springs and struts when I could pay alittle more and get something good. I'm use to having good suspensions. Right now you don't know how much I hate the ride. Its making me dislike my car. As soon as I have time to see mt brother in L.a. I'll have some og JDM gales to roll on. I was suppose to get them when I was there last time but I had to leave early. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Joay
04-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Wow man, you really hit the ground running! Nice to see someone doing it right instead of cheaping out (like I do all the time).

88LXi68
04-09-2009, 02:15 PM
in for updates

stat1K
04-09-2009, 02:41 PM
wow i had no idea that ksport made them for the 3g... i've seen some good things from ksport but i've also seen some horrible things... hopefully you have a good experience... why is it gonna take 2 weeks? do they make the kit to order? i know i can get ksports for my ef locally for about 400 all the time, people buy em and ditch em when one blows... ksport is local to me so getting it repaired or replaced is simple enough but cost about 75 for them to do the warranty.

Strugglebucket
04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
672lbs in front?:eek:

carotman
04-09-2009, 04:28 PM
If only these had been available back when I had no house and tons of money... oh well, keep up updated :D

SILENT
04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
how much you pay???

'A20A3'
04-09-2009, 05:10 PM
in for updates X2

cubert
04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
wow i had no idea that ksport made them for the 3g... i've seen some good things from ksport but i've also seen some horrible things... hopefully you have a good experience... why is it gonna take 2 weeks? do they make the kit to order? i know i can get ksports for my ef locally for about 400 all the time, people buy em and ditch em when one blows... ksport is local to me so getting it repaired or replaced is simple enough but cost about 75 for them to do the warranty.

Yea..ice heard plenty of horror stories about the K's...

I was gonna get em for my TL, but decided against it after hearing about how they blow and how they are stiff as fuck...

Hope they work well for you though

Rendon LX-i
04-09-2009, 06:35 PM
DAMN...autox here we come....how much you pay..? im guessing 1g or more

Joay
04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
how much you pay???

DAMN...autox here we come....how much you pay..? im guessing 1g or more
Site says $1,300.00.

Pico
04-09-2009, 07:11 PM
in for updates x3

phillie
04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm on my blackberry so ill be brief. I got them for $750 shipped. Great price! You can get different spring rated if you like. Ill see how these work. And if I need lower I'll or the lesser.

Its suppose to take 2 weeks because they have to put them together. I wonder how many they have sold. If they were for any other vehicle they'd probably have in stock.

Myself I'm use to running JIC's or other high end coilovers. Never the coilover sleeves. Not saying they're bad. I don't have many choices for a full body coilover kit and that's what I wanted. Konis and GC's were going to run me $815! I rather have the adjustable dampening and something made specifically for our vehicles. We'll see what kind of quality they are with time.

Joay
04-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm on my blackberry so ill be brief. I got them for $750 shipped. Great price! You can get different spring rated if you like. Ill see how these work. And if I need lower I'll or the lesser.
Wait, what? Is that like a We know nobody is ever going to buy these for full-price deal or is that how much they normally go for?

phillie
04-09-2009, 07:57 PM
That's the price I can get you guys hooked up for if anyone wants a set. I didn't if it was cool to put up the vendors info on this site. Some forums are against it.

Rendon LX-i
04-09-2009, 08:33 PM
K we need to do a group buy

Pico
04-09-2009, 08:35 PM

Hell Yeah :rockon:

markmdz89hatch
04-09-2009, 08:49 PM
phillie, go ahead, there's no trouble posting up info on the vendor you got them from.

As for the horror stories, as I mentioned in another thread, the K-Sports and D2's (same mfg) were horrible c/o's when they first came out because of how stiff they were, and the fact that they self-destructed in no time. The good news is that they're on their 7th (or some crazy high number) 'generation' of their c/o's, and most reviews I've seen of the newer versions have been much better than the "they shit the bed on me on my first auto-x" or "one good turn that loaded up the corner and g'nite".

Please update us when you get them, and please look them over VERY well. Check out the springs and if they have any printing on them, make sure the rears match and fronts match.

I like your train of thought on getting the 'lude front arms, but I would also get adjustable rear upper control arms. Don't forget, now that you have much stiffer springs, that will highlight all of the old spent bushings that will also need to replaced, and will add more stress to the ball-joints. I would seriously look into doing an overhaul of the bushings and ball-joints.

Joay
04-09-2009, 10:11 PM
:werd:

LxAcc510
04-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Look forward to seeing this work in progress

Be sure to start a build thread for us op :wave:

phillie
04-09-2009, 11:53 PM
ksport is local to me

Where do you live? I live in AZ also. Phoenix.

phillie, go ahead, there's no trouble posting up info on the vendor you got them from.

As for the horror stories, as I mentioned in another thread, the K-Sports and D2's (same mfg) were horrible c/o's when they first came out because of how stiff they were, and the fact that they self-destructed in no time. The good news is that they're on their 7th (or some crazy high number) 'generation' of their c/o's, and most reviews I've seen of the newer versions have been much better than the "they shit the bed on me on my first auto-x" or "one good turn that loaded up the corner and g'nite".

Please update us when you get them, and please look them over VERY well. Check out the springs and if they have any printing on them, make sure the rears match and fronts match.

I like your train of thought on getting the 'lude front arms, but I would also get adjustable rear upper control arms. Don't forget, now that you have much stiffer springs, that will highlight all of the old spent bushings that will also need to replaced, and will add more stress to the ball-joints. I would seriously look into doing an overhaul of the bushings and ball-joints.

I also hope they aren't shitty I guess you guys will soon find out. What printing am I looking for?

I'm working on overhauling all the bushings and ball joints. I just need to find best prices and where and who to get them from. Does energy suspension make most of the bushings I'll need? I don't know if I should go with oem.

I'll edit the first post with the info where to get them.

LX-incredible
04-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Sweet, the 3 of us should get together and have a mini meet!

Prothane makes every bushing for the front except the UCAs. Rear lower shock and sway bar mount bushings (endlinks as well with aftermarket bar) are also available from prothane. You can even get crazy and replace the rear LCA bushings, though you'll need to buy 3 $70+ kits to get the correct combination. Some adjustable rear arms are even available with poly. Everything on my car is poly except the front UCA bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, and rear upper shock bushings. There are several threads on here that I posted the correct part numbers and such.

AccordB20A
04-10-2009, 01:15 AM
good buy i guess!

phillie
04-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Updated first post with contact info for the coilovers.

MessyHonda
04-12-2009, 06:54 PM
take lots of pics...i want to see....maybe i can sell my koni set up and grab a pair of these

gfrg88
04-12-2009, 07:07 PM
nice to see some people actually modding 3rd gens again.. keep us updated :rockon:

phillie
04-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Most definitely. Hopefully I'll be able to get all the bushings changed and the tires mounted on the wheels. I put the Civic Si's next to the stock wheels and its going to look good lowered!

Rendon LX-i
04-12-2009, 07:55 PM
damit you got si wheels you asshole LOL...,i want a set so bad...so hard to come by and cost a grip...anywho...cant wait for outcome..

phillie
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
You're going to hate me more. I got 5 of them for $250!!! Tires are shit but its still a deal!

Rendon LX-i
04-12-2009, 08:02 PM
DAMN.....i got my fat fives for 150 and just rims that was back in the day thou....NICE man...what tires you want to run......I would suggest the tires i got they got rim gruard idk how many times they saved me my rims from hell lol...my wife drove it ones she DROVE over a curve and im looking at her like wtf...rim was not even touched and tire had scuff marks other then that good shap.....Dulops Dz101s 205/50/15 would looks PERFECT ...im telling you man mine stick out alittle gives it that clean look...i would look into those or the new ones that just came out....

p.s if you look at my sig those are the tires

phillie
04-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Thats a killa price for fat 5's! I think theyd look good powdered coated black with your color car.

Right now I have some Toyo t1rs 205/55/15 I'm going to run out. My wife doesnt drive my cars. She thinks its to old anyways. She has a 05 accord v6.

bullard123
04-14-2009, 07:21 AM

Good info :thumbup:

bullard123
04-14-2009, 07:26 AM
damit you got si wheels you asshole LOL...,i want a set so bad...so hard to come by and cost a grip...anywho...cant wait for outcome..
There is a set at my local junkyard! Couldn't beleive it when I saw them sitting there

bullard123
04-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Keep us updated on this project. I thought they only made coilovers for the newer model Hondas as well

phillie
04-14-2009, 08:02 AM
There is a set at my local junkyard! Couldn't beleive it when I saw them sitting there

Did you get them?????? I'm surprised they weren't gone already.

I found about the coilovers by reading other threads. Then I found out Ksport has them and there was no question that I was going to get the full bodied instead of the sleeve when the price was even cheaper. Who knows the GC's maybe as good or better.

As soon as I get them in I'll post up pics. I'm going to start my build thread soon. I already ordered the front end Prothane bushing kit, I'm waiting on my lude UCA (ehem b20a86lude), this weekend I should be getting my 5 speed swap and as soon as I go see my bro in L.A. I'll be picking up my Gales!

Rendon LX-i
04-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Keep us updated on this project. I thought they only made coilovers for the newer model Hondas as well

GET THEM...if its a civic or accord with a little work youll have a bad ass set up.....damnit lol:slap:

bullard123
04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
GET THEM...if its a civic or accord with a little work youll have a bad ass set up.....damnit lol:slap:

If they arew still there i will snag them and sell them here if there is enough interest. They will need to be sanded down and repolished though

phillie
04-14-2009, 10:21 AM

No need to modify them to fit. They're the same for your year car.

Rendon LX-i
04-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Ummm civic are taller and accord is smiller....I know you have to mod the tap itself on the strut since its off alittle...i know all bout it...thats why i said mod em little to make em work...but i got ya man

bullard123
04-14-2009, 11:46 AM
I was talking about the Si rims lol....I think you guys are talking about the coilovers

thegreatdane
04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Subscribed. I'm curious what sort of ride this suspension brings with it and if they've made any further adjustments to accomodate the 3g suspension or if it's just the mix and match package.

cygnus x-1
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
672lbs in front?:eek:

600/400 is what I have on my 2g Prelude. It's a custom coilover setup made by Leda that I got from Dave Gran after he upgraded (http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/Home_Page.html). With 15" wheels the ride is about the stiffest you would want for a daily driver. On bumpy roads it can be a little annoying. For awhile I had 17" wheels with this setup and it was intolerable.

The Accords are a little heavier so 670 would be about right.

C|

Rendon LX-i
04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
would be really stiff....wouldnt mind that at all...my scion feels stiffer then my accord lol...so yeah that sounds about right

phillie
04-14-2009, 08:29 PM
They said if you want different spring ratings you just need to ask. I'm use to high spring ratings so I'm not worried about it. My S2000 had JIC coilovers and 6 point roll cage and I loved how it handled.

stat1K
04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
hey i'm curious phillie, you on azht at all?

and you know ksport is local right? that makes it great for you here if one goes bad.

phillie
04-15-2009, 08:20 PM
hey i'm curious phillie, you on azht at all?

and you know ksport is local right? that makes it great for you here if one goes bad.

I had no idea K sport is local. Shit I'd go pick them up if I knew when they're done making them. Good to know cuz ill be at their front door if something breaks!

I'm on AZHT. I use to own a 06 LBP turbo S2000. You have the same name on there?

stat1K
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I had no idea K sport is local. Shit I'd go pick them up if I knew when they're done making them. Good to know cuz ill be at their front door if something breaks!

I'm on AZHT. I use to own a 06 LBP turbo S2000. You have the same name on there?

yeah what's your name on there, mine is this but not with the one, it's just statiK. i chill in the ef section and the for sale mostly... sounds like a sweet ride you sell it?

87roach
04-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Interested. Waiting to see when you get them!

phillie
04-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Hopefully next week they'll be here.

phillie
04-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Well they finally showed up today and they look SWEET!! Black and sunkist orange. Ill get pics up tomorrow.

Rendon LX-i
04-28-2009, 06:29 PM
WTF...why you got to tease

phillie
04-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Pics up on page 1. The base (part with ksport sticker) turns so that the threaded shaft elongates giving you more height. These Coilovers are very nice. I can't wait to get them on the car!

markmdz89hatch
04-29-2009, 07:50 AM
wow, i must admit, I'm pretty impressed. They even changed their color scheme with these too. Not that that means a ton, but it would go to show that these do look very different from the earlier gens, which were notoriously garbage.

What's very nice about that design is that the lower mount is separate from the shock body, which allows you to lower/raise that mount, while maintaining the spring height. The key here is that by modifying the height with the mount point, rather than dialing up/down the spring, you keep the full range of motion for the shock/spring, which will make the shock more effective, and last much longer.

I'm truly impressed. I so badly wish you could send those to a guy with a shock dyno and spring pressure tested to see just how closely matched the springs are, and how accurate the valving is.

Rendon LX-i
04-29-2009, 07:52 AM
How much they cost you gain? Very nice man

phillie
04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
I so badly wish you could send those to a guy with a shock dyno and spring pressure tested to see just how closely matched the springs are, and how accurate the valving is.

If it was local I would take them but the only place these are going are on my car!!!! I have about a week before these go on. Depends when my prelude uca's and front beam show up which should be this week. I'm basically going to do all my bushings, coilovers, front beam all at the same time so I can go get the car aligned afterwards.

Rendon-$750 shipped.

phillie
04-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Added a pic with the one of the bases spun off. Theres alot of adjustment there.

LX-incredible
04-29-2009, 09:14 AM
They look good bro. $750 really isn't bad. I might have to pick a set up for my next car, after they're tested.

88LXi68
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
definitely make an update after you have them installed and then again at 1,000 miles or so. my bro in law had them on his maxima and he blew 2 with around 5k miles.

Rendon LX-i
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
well fuck that aint bad...im going to get me a set....

86AccordLxi
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
wow, i must admit, I'm pretty impressed. They even changed their color scheme with these too. Not that that means a ton, but it would go to show that these do look very different from the earlier gens, which were notoriously garbage.

What's very nice about that design is that the lower mount is separate from the shock body, which allows you to lower/raise that mount, while maintaining the spring height. The key here is that by modifying the height with the mount point, rather than dialing up/down the spring, you keep the full range of motion for the shock/spring, which will make the shock more effective, and last much longer.

I'm truly impressed. I so badly wish you could send those to a guy with a shock dyno and spring pressure tested to see just how closely matched the springs are, and how accurate the valving is.

That's like every coilover on the market. Makes it cheaper so they can just make a run of lower threaded mounts and just run the same threaded strut body.

Valving on anything under $1500 shouldn't be that impressive. You usually want something digressively valved and you can't get that with a needle valve (which is what most coilovers run, this side of koni/ohlin/penske/moton etc).

Anyhow, I'm curious to see how these fare.

stat1K
04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
well i think the problem with most people and coilovers is that they get them, and they slam the car as low as it will go... while if you set them at a 2" drop or above they would probably last a great length of time... personally my car is dropped 1.75" and i think it looks just fine... and i'm on just springs and struts... if i were to do any type of racing i might go for the coilovers but again i wouldn't slam em, it looks good and all but it's ridiculous to try to drive a car like that.

edit: oh and phil i'll have a special picture for you today :)

thegreatdane
04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Sweet!
Looks like they have made the correct tophats. I dont see any place to mount the brake lines though.

/awaiting more updates

BITESIZE
04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
You spent $1,300 on those. AWESOME!!!

86AccordLxi
04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
well i think the problem with most people and coilovers is that they get them, and they slam the car as low as it will go... while if you set them at a 2" drop or above they would probably last a great length of time... personally my car is dropped 1.75" and i think it looks just fine... and i'm on just springs and struts... if i were to do any type of racing i might go for the coilovers but again i wouldn't slam em, it looks good and all but it's ridiculous to try to drive a car like that.

edit: oh and phil i'll have a special picture for you today :)

Well, it doesn't really matter how low you set your car with coilovers since you're not reducing your suspension travel when you can dial down the mounting point rather than drooping the spring and compressing the strut.

Tdurr
04-29-2009, 02:07 PM
sex. get them on ur car asap!! lol

markmdz89hatch
04-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Well, it doesn't really matter how low you set your car with coilovers since you're not reducing your suspension travel when you can dial down the mounting point rather than drooping the spring and compressing the strut.

:werd:

2drSE-i
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
You spent $1,300 on those. AWESOME!!!

im fairlly certain he only paid 800 through the dealer.

stat1K
04-29-2009, 09:25 PM

sorry i must be a retard but this concept makes no sense to me. when you dial down the mounting point what exactly are you doing? i was under the impression you were lowering the spring on the body, thus reducing the travel... like i said i must be retarded or thinking of sleeve's but i thought the concept was the same.

phillie
04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
The difference with the adjustable fork to me is the travel in the strut. Your adjustability let's you keep your full strut travel rather then losing travel. Hard to explain writing on my blackberry.

Retail $1400. I paid $750 shipped. This isn't going to be my track car. I compared prices to struts and coil spring kits and the Ksports won with pricing and dampner adjustability.

Bust those pics out HOMIE!!!

Rendon LX-i
04-29-2009, 10:00 PM
so the price is not going to go up at all. at no point in time? i would love to get a set pretty soon

2drSE-i
04-30-2009, 06:23 AM
sorry i must be a retard but this concept makes no sense to me. when you dial down the mounting point what exactly are you doing? i was under the impression you were lowering the spring on the body, thus reducing the travel... like i said i must be retarded or thinking of sleeve's but i thought the concept was the same.

on sleeves, to lower a car you simply lower the spring on the strut assembly, reducing the spring travel. On coilovers, your actually relocating both mounting points on the strut body, maintaining full spring travel. I'm not describing this well, im sure someone else could do it better, but this is the general idea.

86AccordLxi
04-30-2009, 06:27 AM
The difference with the adjustable fork to me is the travel in the strut. Your adjustability let's you keep your full strut travel rather then losing travel. Hard to explain writing on my blackberry.

Retail $1400. I paid $750 shipped. This isn't going to be my track car. I compared prices to struts and coil spring kits and the Ksports won with pricing and dampner adjustability.

Bust those pics out HOMIE!!!

on sleeves, to lower a car you simply lower the spring on the strut assembly, reducing the spring travel. On coilovers, your actually relocating both mounting points on the strut body, maintaining full spring travel. I'm not describing this well, im sure someone else could do it better, but this is the general idea.

This! :)

markmdz89hatch
04-30-2009, 07:26 AM
beware though that not all coilovers have threaded mounts. Some have fixed mounts on a threaded body, where the only option for changing the ride height is by lowering the spring perch, thereby reducing the shock travel.

BUT, these K-Sports (as with many others) do offer threaded (adjustable) mounts, which allows adjusting without changing the spring perch location.

Here's a very basic diagram I just threw together for you. Notice the shock on the far left without spring or mounts. Each graphic to the right shows how the lower mount is threaded further and further up the body of the shock, but the spring perch is not changed at all.

Hope it helps:
Edit: I just realized I'm a dumbass and made the shock one solid piece. I'll change it at some point to have the shock body end at the spring perch, and the piston rod continue through the spring travel area. Just a minor detail though.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/mark_mdz/coilover.jpg

2drSE-i
04-30-2009, 07:40 AM
There ya go, thats what i was trying to explain, the advantage of adjustable mounts as opposed to adjustable perches. You keep full travel and only lose height.

stat1K
04-30-2009, 08:15 AM
beware though that not all coilovers have threaded mounts. Some have fixed mounts on a threaded body, where the only option for changing the ride height is by lowering the spring perch, thereby reducing the shock travel.

BUT, these K-Sports (as with many others) do offer threaded (adjustable) mounts, which allows adjusting without changing the spring perch location.

Here's a very basic diagram I just threw together for you. Notice the shock on the far left without spring or mounts. Each graphic to the right shows how the lower mount is threaded further and further up the body of the shock, but the spring perch is not changed at all.

Hope it helps:
Edit: I just realized I'm a dumbass and made the shock one solid piece. I'll change it at some point to have the shock body end at the spring perch, and the piston rod continue through the spring travel area. Just a minor detail though.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/mark_mdz/coilover.jpg

thank you mark, it makes total sense, i just have never had a set in my hand to see that the entire strut body moves like that... i was under the impression that because they were the cheaper kinda (ie not 1000+) that they wouldn't do that... that's pretty sweet that they do! your diagram is the shit homes! lol....

87roach
04-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Ayeee yea! Those look awesome, now get them on asap! I would really like to see how they perform.

markmdz89hatch
04-30-2009, 08:32 AM
thank you mark, it makes total sense, i just have never had a set in my hand to see that the entire strut body moves like that... i was under the impression that because they were the cheaper kinda (ie not 1000+) that they wouldn't do that... that's pretty sweet that they do! your diagram is the shit homes! lol....

thanks man.

Yeah, i was surprised to see that as well. There are many other mfg's out there (Koni, Eibach, Skunk-2 Pro-S series, Intrax, Tanabe, Tein Driving Master series, etc) that are very reputable, which do not use adjustable mounts.

Ironically enough, the adjustable mount setup is not only better (for all reasons already mentioned), but it is less expensive in the long run for a manufacturer. They are able to mfg only application specific mounts which use universal threaded shocks valved to a customer specified value.

Now having said that, not all strut mfg's are created equal. ...and many of the fixed mount coil-over setups are still VERY good as long as you don't dial them down to no shock travel. If they are used within their optimal height range, they are very effective.

Everyone really needs to remember that a coil-over setup was not invented for someone to just 'lower' their car. We all lower our cars because we think it looks better like that, and we like the (perceived) added performance benefit. That can easily be accomplished with a properly paired aftermarket spring/shock. A coil-over setup was created to allow suspension techs on race teams the ability to slightly adjust each corner height in order to gain the most optimal setup for the current track they're running, the conditions in which they're running, and the drivers' best 'feel'. Without a coil-over setup, this fine-tune adjustment would not be possible. This just adds to the arsenal of adjustment points that a tech has to play with. Camber, toe, turn-in, tracking, and now corner height can all be adjusted with the advent of coil-overs.

gfrg88
04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
i wanna see them on the car!! slammmed to the floor!!!!

Rendon LX-i
04-30-2009, 02:30 PM
thats inpressive...i like that you can do that..so the strut can keep it full motion instead of having to mess with the spring and all...Very nice...

MessyHonda
04-30-2009, 11:57 PM
i might buy as set now....i wanted to rebuild my konis but for 750 thats a deal

phillie
05-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Theyre not a real cheap coilover set up. I know retail is $1400 but I happen to find the best deal not by accident. Alot of people were asking $850-$950. I wouldnt say thats cheap.

On another note I installed the SIs and the coilovers today. I finished late since I had to work today and make height adjustments. I'll take pics tomorrow. I left the dampner on the settings from factory and so far so good. I'll have to drive around more to get the feel. Springs dont feel to firm but then again I need more road time. I'll get pics up tomorrow.

MessyHonda
05-06-2009, 06:11 AM
pics

phillie
05-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I took a couple but I don't like how they came out. Seems like the front is alittle higher in the front but they settled after I took the pics. I need to lower the front 1/2" more this weekend. Over all the ride is great. I'm happy with them!

markmdz89hatch
05-06-2009, 11:08 AM
great news. ....now only time will tell how well they'll hold up for you.

If this goes well after you get some serious mileage on them, I might be in line for a set myself.

MessyHonda
05-06-2009, 09:06 PM
great news. ....now only time will tell how well they'll hold up for you.

If this goes well after you get some serious mileage on them, I might be in line for a set myself.

same here... my tokico/neuspeed set up might be for sale soon

phillie
05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Got pics up on my first post. Theres a few more pics on my link in my sig.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68395

thegreatdane
05-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Baller. The new rims look nice!

gfrg88
05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
nice!!

LOWER!!

lmao

Rendon LX-i
05-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Thats so nice bro....those wheels make it look even better

Joay
05-11-2009, 01:15 AM
nice!!

LOWER!!

lmao
How much lower can you get on those? Are you even close to the bottom yet?

markmdz89hatch
05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
those si's are the shiznizzie man. Love the look, and the height looks perfect.

Tdurr
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
hmm where do u live again???
lol jk
Very nice. I want some soooo bad now... why must i be jobless?

codyJDM
05-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Looks pretty decent.. Come back when you're tucking tire ;)

Rendon LX-i
05-11-2009, 07:53 PM
LOL......GROUND CONTROLS haha

mykwikcoupe
05-11-2009, 08:05 PM
phillie dont take this the wrong way but you suck ass!!!

Ive had my coupe in the garage loking just like that, clean, low and beautiful. as the years roll on and the car doesnt move the cleanliness goes away. You have jkust made me so eager to take the car out of the garage for a photoshoot its pathetic. Thats very nice man, seriously Im jealous. How about a distance measure from tire to fender and ground to fender or body?

When you got the alignment done, how much adjustment was left and what are you using for camber adjustments? The tires still look great for setup. im wondering if they would take another 1/2-3/4 in lower? Thanks and great job

Ichiban
05-11-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks man.

Yeah, i was surprised to see that as well. There are many other mfg's out there (Koni, Eibach, Skunk-2 Pro-S series, Intrax, Tanabe, Tein Driving Master series, etc) that are very reputable, which do not use adjustable mounts.

Ironically enough, the adjustable mount setup is not only better (for all reasons already mentioned), but it is less expensive in the long run for a manufacturer. They are able to mfg only application specific mounts which use universal threaded shocks valved to a customer specified value.

Now having said that, not all strut mfg's are created equal. ...and many of the fixed mount coil-over setups are still VERY good as long as you don't dial them down to no shock travel. If they are used within their optimal height range, they are very effective.

Everyone really needs to remember that a coil-over setup was not invented for someone to just 'lower' their car. We all lower our cars because we think it looks better like that, and we like the (perceived) added performance benefit. That can easily be accomplished with a properly paired aftermarket spring/shock. A coil-over setup was created to allow suspension techs on race teams the ability to slightly adjust each corner height in order to gain the most optimal setup for the current track they're running, the conditions in which they're running, and the drivers' best 'feel'. Without a coil-over setup, this fine-tune adjustment would not be possible. This just adds to the arsenal of adjustment points that a tech has to play with. Camber, toe, turn-in, tracking, and now corner height can all be adjusted with the advent of coil-overs.

If you take the literal meaning of the term "coil over", wouldn't it refer to any suspension system, preload adjustable or not, that places the shock damper within the coil? Examples of coil overs would be; any Accord, any Prelude, a coil on shock mountain bike shock, etc... Examples of "not" coil over setups would be; GM SLA independent front suspension, Ford twin I beam front suspension, and solid dead axle trailing link suspensions where the coils and shock absorber cylinders are mounted seperately.

86AccordLxi
05-11-2009, 09:14 PM
You're correct, but in common usage, 'coilover' is interpreted as adjustable mount/ride-height setup. That's the commonly accepted understanding.

87roach
05-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Whatcha gettin' so technical for? :D

The drop looks good man, but I really wish you would of taken pictures of the install, comon!

phillie
05-12-2009, 09:00 AM
O.K. I'll try to answer everyones questions.

How much lower can you get on those? Are you even close to the bottom yet?

- The front can go ~ 1 1/2"- 2" lower. The rear can go another ~1". I know you guys really can't tell but the rear has 205/55 and the front are 205/50. I'll explain later.

Looks pretty decent.. Come back when you're tucking tire

-Its my daily so tucking tire won't be happening soon. However I love the look of a slammed car!! Maybe if I get 17's.

Ive had my coupe in the garage loking just like that, clean, low and beautiful. as the years roll on and the car doesnt move the cleanliness goes away. You have jkust made me so eager to take the car out of the garage for a photoshoot its pathetic. Thats very nice man, seriously Im jealous. How about a distance measure from tire to fender and ground to fender or body?
When you got the alignment done, how much adjustment was left and what are you using for camber adjustments? The tires still look great for setup. im wondering if they would take another 1/2-3/4 in lower? Thanks and great job

-Thanks for the compliment! I'll take some measurements this weekend. Theres not to much fender gap. I'd like there to me none but not right now. I need something later to change up.
-I'm waiting for my UCA prelude arms still. As soon as those come in I'll take it to get the alignment done. I'll let you know what camber I'm at when I get the align done.

If I had another person taking the pics I wouldve done it but I was dirty as is. I figured everyone knows what it looks like. I still gotta take the front wheels off again so I'll take a few shots when I install my UCA's and bushings.

Again thanks for the comments! Car handles nicely now. Almost done with the suspension so that'll be one thing off the list!

SILENT
05-12-2009, 12:37 PM
WOW your coupe is looking fresh!!! paint looks like new...lowering it makes it look so much better!!! man i need to get a set of these!!! mad props on your coupe!!!

87roach
05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
phillie, have you played around with the adjustment at all? What are you running it at now?

By the way for quoting you can click the little button with the " mark and + (it's right beside the "quote" button.

MessyHonda
05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
car looks good...i need a photoshoot to show off our lowered coupes

Oldblueaccord
05-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Theyre not a real cheap coilover set up. I know retail is $1400 but I happen to find the best deal not by accident. Alot of people were asking $850-$950. I wouldnt say thats cheap.

On another note I installed the SIs and the coilovers today. I finished late since I had to work today and make height adjustments. I'll take pics tomorrow. I left the dampner on the settings from factory and so far so good. I'll have to drive around more to get the feel. Springs dont feel to firm but then again I need more road time. I'll get pics up tomorrow.

Jumping in late I wonder if the spirng rates is really what is advertised?

Do you know off hand what the dimensions of the springs are so we could use Eibach springs possible?

I would get your alignment check before worrying about the camber I bet its right were you would want it anyway performance wise.

Hash_man_Se_i
05-31-2009, 09:25 AM
I totally missed the update on this thread. Car looks really good lowered now, I think the height is good.

After rolling my fenders and adjusting my ground controls yesterday I am strongly considering this setup. One of my ground control sleeves seems to have been damaged when the suspension unloaded under fast driving, and i'm just not overly happy with my setup.

Please keep us updated on how these are holding up, as I am very interested.

LX-incredible
05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
I got to drive his car a couple weeks ago, it rides soooo nice! I'm probably going to put some on the SE-i at some point.

87roach
06-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Really eh? Hmmm.

phillie, how are they? Changed the settings much? How many km/miles on them so far? Still feel good?

Rendon LX-i
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Which set do you have? ^^^

phillie
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
WOW your coupe is looking fresh!!! paint looks like new...lowering it makes it look so much better!!! man i need to get a set of these!!! mad props on your coupe!!!

Thanks!! Wheels and lowering the car really made a big difference. Brought out the best in the car!

phillie, have you played around with the adjustment at all? What are you running it at now?
By the way for quoting you can click the little button with the " mark and + (it's right beside the "quote" button.

Yes I have been. Right now I think think I have it exactly where I want it for my daily driving. With that said I have about 18 clicks to the stiffest setting.

Thanks. I always wondered how everybody included all the quotes!

Really eh? Hmmm.

phillie, how are they? Changed the settings much? How many km/miles on them so far? Still feel good?

I've got at least a couple thousand miles on them and they're holding up great with no problem!!

Which set do you have? ^^^

All the info needed is on the first post.

However with everything said I'll probably be selling the coilovers soon.

I just picked up my EG yesterday and will put LXi back to ALL stock. Keep it for my second car while I'm doing all my work on the EG and if my wife ever needs to drive it I don't have to worry about her F'ing her up. I'm going to focus all my money on the EG since they're are plentiful parts for it. I plan on doing another H22 swap in it like I did years ago. This time around they have engine mounts made. Before I had Dr. Charles from Wicked racing do my full set up.

So if anyone maybe interested in my set let me know. I don't know if LX-incredible will pick them up since he's local. He has driven my car with them in. Granted my bushing are crap and it still handles great.

Rendon LX-i
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
wow....im shocked.

turabaka
06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
So if anyone maybe interested in my set let me know. I don't know if LX-incredible will pick them up since he's local. He has driven my car with them in. Granted my bushing are crap and it still handles great.

I may be interested. Depends on how much you want for them, and how much money you've got when you decide to sell them. send me a pm or something.

phillie
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
wow....im shocked.

I'm not!

phillie
06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I got them for $750 shipped to me. Only had them on for ~ 2k miles. Shoot me an offer.

LX-incredible
06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
... and just to clarify that's 2k miles of asian driving. lol

Joay
06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Boy did I pick the wrong time to rent a beach house.

phillie
06-01-2009, 04:36 PM
... and just to clarify that's 2k miles of asian driving. lol

Hey I resent that LOL!!! You need these more then I do with the way you drive!! I just want a good handling ride.

stat1K
06-01-2009, 06:01 PM
i want the si's or are they going on the eg? seriously interested in them before i move since i need tires for the fit anyway...

i told angus to buy the ksports from you phil lol...

so you still gonna come to the yard for the eg stuff?

oh and you know dr. charles is at skunk2 now right. he's nuts man.

phillie
06-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I already have jdm GALES yo on the eg right now and some ssr ex-c superfins so I won't need the SI's. I told Angus if he wants them but you guys can decide who gets them. I've got the new 205/50 on the front and 205/55 on the rear. Also have an extra wheel and 205/55. So 5 wheels and extra tire. All tread good.

Yea I know about Dr charles @ skunk now. I used to be at his old shop almost everyday when he was doing my H22 swap. This was back in 2000 I think. Let me know what you guys decide.

Ill still hit the yards with you guys. I have to goto minnesota this weekend for a wedding.

stat1K
06-01-2009, 07:21 PM
well pm me a price on the wheels... and i'll see what i can do.

but if angus wants them then i'm stealing his hx's :)

hahaha.

Rendon LX-i
06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
so why you giving up on the accord bro? But all and all good to hear your got a civic yo. mad vtak. Post up some pics

phillie
06-01-2009, 07:40 PM
More parts availability and Ill keep all money in one project. I need to have a reliable dd so thatll be the accord.

turabaka
06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
If you've still got the coilovers when I get some extra spending money then I'll definitely pick them up off of you. I might have enough after my next paycheck, but I've got some other parts to replace first unfortunately.

MessyHonda
06-03-2009, 11:03 PM
sucks that the accord wont be the project car

Civic Accord Honda
06-03-2009, 11:14 PM
:( accord > eg .... if u were gona get a civic hatch u shoulda got a ed :P

A18A
06-04-2009, 12:01 AM
eb > ed :)

Civic Accord Honda
06-04-2009, 12:46 AM
eb > ed :)

CA>all

Tdurr
06-04-2009, 01:53 AM
CA>all

true story.

2ndGenGuy
06-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Oh yeah?

AD > CA :D

MessyHonda
06-04-2009, 06:31 PM
well if you sale them you should atleast throw some tokicos and lowering springs on the car

3geeandEF
06-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Mind putting them all the way down to show how low they can go and posting pics?

phillie
06-10-2009, 07:45 AM
well if you sale them you should atleast throw some tokicos and lowering springs on the car

I'll definitly do that. I don't dig stock height cars!

Mind putting them all the way down to show how low they can go and posting pics?

The front can go pretty low. I would say by the threads another 3 inches at least but you'd have to jack up the lower control arm to have it fit into the coilover.

The rear there isn't to much. I'll have to check when I take them off.

With the Gales i have on the car right now I'd have to roll the rear fenders before I can drop it because it would sit on the lip.

LX-incredible
06-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Mine bitches!

We'll see how they hold up to my driving...

mykwikcoupe
06-13-2009, 09:32 PM
sweet thats perfect angus im sure youll love them and theyll look great on the coupe as well

LX-incredible
06-13-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm sure I will, they look beefy as hell.

MessyHonda
06-14-2009, 07:59 AM
sweet...post more pics..lol

Vector
08-06-2009, 08:35 PM
thread resurrection... rather than starting a new thread.

I emailed ksport today about my rwd hatch and gave them specs to piece me together a special set... they have replied and now the balls in my court to order them or not.. i will be getting a similar deal to phillie..

i use my rwd hatch for drifting.. short and simple... i read alot of good things and some bad things... but the good easily outweigh the bad, as it was mainly affected by earlier revisions of the product... so i just need a push.

Should i get these?

LX-incredible
08-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Yes. I like them enough to plan on getting another set for the SE-i. About 6k on them and holding up fine. They are quite stiff, not for grandpa or those with weak backs. Nothing too crazy though. I will need at least another 6k to give my full endorsement...

Vector
08-06-2009, 11:00 PM
sweet.. t think i will order my custom kit tomorow if i can get ahold of someone there

Hash_man_Se_i
08-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I would definately do it vector. Especially if they are willing to do custom spring rates for you... having that much adjustability will make a world of difference in your rwd accord.

86ccord
08-07-2009, 07:00 PM
EM1>all

FIXED!!!!

you guys know its true.. :D

codyJDM
08-07-2009, 10:27 PM
FIXED!!!!

Actually..

DC2>all!

;)

If I still had my Accord, I probably would have invested in these somewhere down the line. I have friends that are very satisfied with their K-sport setups.

Civic Accord Honda
08-08-2009, 02:48 AM
FIXED!!!!

Actually..

DC2>all!

:squint: :slap:

CA>ED>ALL

Vector
08-10-2009, 12:58 PM
ordered.

2ndGenGuy
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Are they going to send you a strut dyno with that? If they're custom building it, they should be able to.

b20a86lude
08-11-2009, 04:44 PM
dude wow i wana c more pix

STITCHES
10-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Thats a nice stance! I'm getting me a set of those! ...after I get a pair of sway bars.

mushroom_toy
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Didnt wanna start a new thread....can they still be had for $750? Looked online and Im not gonna pay $845 which is the lowest I found.

stat1K
01-07-2010, 10:47 AM
i couldn't find anyone to order them, the shop i do business with couldn't order the accord ones, i'm sure if you talked to a few shops they could probably figure it out for ya.

Importordomestic
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
i wanted to know as well so i asked Tripple R Performance a market vendor over at www.carolinahondas.com

here is his quote:
*d2 coil over
D2-H110-4- $725 Shipped

k sports
chd240-kp-$820 Shipped*

since the d2 and k are the same ones bolt for bolt just color channge, you pay 95$ more for orange paint instead of purple.

stat1K
01-08-2010, 01:41 PM
^ i spoke to him as well i believe, i know he quoted me on the d2 i thought i posted it in here but maybe i never did. i'll see if i still have his pm.

mushroom_toy
01-09-2010, 11:19 AM
So we can still basically get em under 800

mushroom_toy
02-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Can we still get the D2s from that supplier for $725?

King Peetis
03-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I just bought a set of Ksport Pros for mine two nights ago. I paid $765.00 total with shipping. They are making them to order so I should have them in a couple of weeks. The name of the company is JLB Motorsport[s]. I found a post on HT.

Oldblueaccord
03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Kinda a jerky comment from me so beware....

I smelled a shill here with the original poster in that he made this post then "sold" his D2's shortly after. Hes has 150 post in the scope of like 2.5 months and then thats it. I just feel like its something I should point out considering we got one or two of the old "scammers" logged back in again chumming the waters for fresh meat.

LX-incredible
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Kinda a jerky comment from me so beware....

I smelled a shill here with the original poster in that he made this post then "sold" his D2's shortly after. Hes has 150 post in the scope of like 2.5 months and then thats it. I just feel like its something I should point out considering we got one or two of the old "scammers" logged back in again chumming the waters for fresh meat.

wp

No man, Phil is cool. He just can't make up his mind which project he wants to go with. I bought and pulled his ksports from his car with Pat (stat1k) and we have met up several times for junkyard runs.

MessyHonda
03-13-2010, 01:46 AM
I just bought a set of Ksport Pros for mine two nights ago. I paid $765.00 total with shipping. They are making them to order so I should have them in a couple of weeks. The name of the company is JLB Motorsport[s]. I found a post on HT.

more pic of when you get them

King Peetis
03-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I'll get the pics up as soon as I get them and get them on the car. What I need to go with them is an upper strut bar. Whose got the hook up? Holla

mushroom_toy
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah let us know how they worked out....Honestly Im kinda getting a little tired of the accord....I havent even rebuilt yet, its just turning into a bigger money pit day by day by day lol.

MessyHonda
03-15-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah let us know how they worked out....Honestly Im kinda getting a little tired of the accord....I havent even rebuilt yet, its just turning into a bigger money pit day by day by day lol.

at the end of the day...you still have a really modified accord...no one else can say that...and thank this site...i would had not done any mods if it wasnt for people who like to modify stuff

89jdmaccord
07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
:thumbup:Bump just got the same wheels! they're awesome

marvis
10-01-2011, 11:24 PM
How have they held up?

Doward
08-20-2012, 11:01 AM
I'd like to bring this back from the dead. LX-incredible, still rocking the K-Sports? How have they held up?

King Peetis
08-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Great on freeway but a bump will send you to another dimension. It doesn't bounce but in turn settles quickly. They are holding up great!

Fixedit
06-02-2015, 10:36 AM
KSport Kontrol Pro Coilover Kit Honda Accord [CA5] (1985-1989) CHD240-KP (http://www.redlinemotive.com/part-number/ksport/chd240-kp.asp)

Oldblueaccord
03-31-2016, 06:34 AM
Any one order these in the last 6 months? and have a valid link to the place.

Cwag87
05-13-2016, 04:25 PM
So who has had these on the longest? How do they hold up over time?

Tdurr
05-17-2016, 07:39 PM
^^bad question to ask. It all depends on road quality, how hard /fast u drive, and stiffness settings you run. They are just like any other newer ksports. Good average joe coilovers. Typically what you want in a full out track car (unless you special order what u need for a track)

Cwag87
09-07-2016, 04:25 AM
That's fair, my bad. I was trying to see if these coilovers had a common problem.

Tdurr
09-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Only problem I have heard about sports was years ago about the shocks being valves poorly to the springs. That has been fixed as they have stepped up their quality control

2ndGenGuy
09-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Only problem I have heard about sports was years ago about the shocks being valves poorly to the springs. That has been fixed as they have stepped up their quality control

What makes people keep saying this? Did they release video showing the improvements to their processes or something? I'm just skeptical of them, because everybody acknowledges that their old shocks were crap, but seem to believe for some reason that they are better now.

Tdurr
09-08-2016, 08:06 PM
If im not mistaken they changed distributors/factories/moved up in the line of companies who got to pick their products from the batch. something like that. cant really prove it but remember hearing about it.
I do know they are better then alot of other coilovers people are putting on many cars currently sooo yea... Old thread is Old.

MessyHonda
09-10-2016, 09:39 AM
What makes people keep saying this? Did they release video showing the improvements to their processes or something? I'm just skeptical of them, because everybody acknowledges that their old shocks were crap, but seem to believe for some reason that they are better now.

this is why i stick to quality parts like Koni and ground crontrol.

Tdurr
09-11-2016, 12:43 PM
http://986forum.com/forums/performance