PDA

View Full Version : ok i got 2 new problems today

danny nr crew
04-10-2009, 07:45 PM
the first one is is that its overheating
second is some electrical problem
so ima try and explain the elec prob well to start off its an 87 accord lxi manual and when im in the car (this is during night as well) i have everything turned on right like the lights and stereo but when i press the brakes everything starts to dim and looks like it wants to turn off or makin a short of some sort
please help

Pico
04-10-2009, 07:48 PM
check your grounds first, I'd say this would the easiest thing to check first.

89sei89dx
04-11-2009, 12:06 AM
my car did that dimming and it got worse and worse till when id try to start the car wouldnt hardly crank over. then not at all. i found out it was the altrenator went out. but if it keeps startin and u only have dimming i dont know.sounds more like somthing shorting when u push brakes. somthings not working the way it should when u hit the brakes. somthing in the circuit that only causes a prob when u hit breaks, like the light thats not on till u push the break peddle then it triggers that light to turn on . but when it tries to come on its shorting or somthing, causing the lights to dim and other shit in electrical system to not work properly. plus ur lxi, fuel injected which works on the electrical part of the system so if the other stuff is messin up and the car seems like its tryin to die or not run as good when ur pushing the breaks . its also messin up the programmed electrical fuel injection system. not giving the car the right amount of fuel so car trys to die. idk short. bad ground. did u mess with any of the grounds by the battery or take the one off the valve cover or the block, working on it recently

danny nr crew
04-11-2009, 07:18 AM
ok i found it it was the ground wire to the valve cover and thanks for the help and another question why would my car overheat if it didnt have that ground connected just wondering?

-$MOKIN-
04-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Change the thermostat. Cost 10 bucks and do a flush while your at it.

Oldblueaccord
04-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I would verify that your radaitor is full of coolant and your fans are coming on first. Changing the T -stats could get you into a mess with corroded bolts in the housing.

wp

danny nr crew
04-11-2009, 08:49 PM
yea i got it all fixed up and everything is workin fine jus rough idle

Dr_Snooz
04-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Rough idles are usually dirty injectors or a vacuum leak.

danny nr crew
04-12-2009, 08:23 AM
how would i clean out my injectors properly and how can i locate a vaccume leak

Dr_Snooz
04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
For the injectors, run a can or two of Techron through and see if it helps. Finding vacuum leaks is a little more difficult. Actually, it can be a lot more difficult. The easiest way is to listen for the hissing, assuming the leak is big enough. The next easiest is to spray down your vacuum lines with carb or MAF cleaner, hoping that the engine idle changes in some way. If it does, you've found your leak. You should also do a visual inspection of all your lines and places of possible leakage looking for old, cracked and broken connections. That might be the best place to start.