PDA

View Full Version : Good news+2 questions

Francos Accord
04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I finally got my car back from the mechanic in Staten Island today. Now the fans work as they should, and no more oil leaking. On the ride home however, the car would have a slight hesitation for about a second, then would come back and drive normally again. Of the 80 miles that was driven today, about 60 of which were highway, it happened maybe 10 times, but each happening only lasted a second. It only did it going 55+ mph. What could be causing it? Also, I noticed my headlights are not adjusted correctly. How do you adjust them?

Oldblueaccord
04-11-2009, 06:01 PM
If its a slight and I mean slight surge at just 55 mph in 5th like 2300 rpm its the vacuum advance in the distributor working. The car is tuned for the best mileage right at that speed for the EPA rating. Its anoying so I run at 60 mph or more or use 4th gear.

If its like totally cutting out for a few seconds you have something else going on most likly electrical in nature. Keep an eye on what your tac is doing when it does it. If its dropping to zero you have no output at the coil.

wp

Francos Accord
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, its not just 55, its 55 and up. Its a very slight, i dont want to say... buck... but a hesitation, for 1 second at a time, at random times throughout the drive. And no, i watched the tac when it happened, it does not totally cut out. I was thinking that it might be a clogged fuel filter. Could that cause this problem? And were is the filter located?

Oldblueaccord
04-11-2009, 07:29 PM
That would be called a "misfire"

The fuel filter on a fuel injected car is on the fire wall passenger side. Its round black and about 3-4 inches accross. That with some fresh, plain, NGK plugs and a cap and rotor would be a good start plus you can check for a code in the computer under the drivers seat. There a write up in the EFI section top of the page.

wp

Francos Accord
04-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I dont think its a misfire because the idol is smooth, and wouldnt a misfire would happen at all speeds, not just highway speeds? And is the fuel filter in the same place on the carb. engine?

Joay
04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I dont think its a misfire because the idol is smooth, and wouldnt a misfire would happen at all speeds, not just highway speeds? And is the fuel filter in the same place on the carb. engine?
Depends on what's causing it. If the filter is clogged then the problem will be more prominent when there's more fuel being used.

Your main fuel filter is under the car (driver side rear wheel area) and the smaller one is in the engine bay in front of the brake booster.

Francos Accord
04-12-2009, 05:26 AM
Ill check out the fuel filters later in the day, thanks for the help. What about the headlight alignment?

Oldblueaccord
04-12-2009, 06:05 AM
If its a carb then thats a whole nother story. A misfire can occure at anyspeed really it may idle fine but not run or even rev up etc etc.

wp

Joay
04-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Ill check out the fuel filters later in the day, thanks for the help. What about the headlight alignment?
Pop the headlight up and take off the cover that goes around the light itself. Right below the middle of the light, there's a long, spring-loaded screw that adjusts the alignment.

MessyHonda
04-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Pop the headlight up and take off the cover that goes around the light itself. Right below the middle of the light, there's a long, spring-loaded screw that adjusts the alignment.

yup...also...make sure your tires are inflated to the same presure and park in a garage and turn on your lights...make sure your cut off the light beam is at the same height