PDA

View Full Version : O.E.M Speedometer Cable Issues.

520STREETKINGZ
04-11-2009, 06:51 PM
This is what I got going on. I have a 87 Accord DX hatchback w/carb and the speedometer cable broke. So I purchased a new one from rockauto.com part no. atp Y-850 and received the new cable and it seems to be 40 inches shorter than the 100 inch O.E.M. cable. So the new cable is 60 inches long. The O.E.M. cable runs from the dash pod through fire wall along driverside around front of engine to passenger side and down to transmission. The new cable runs from the dash pod through fire wall along driverside to front of engine and stops, also their is no cruise control. The end connections look the same the only difference is the cable length. So I contacted rockauto.com told them whats going on and there gonna get back with me. They have been real helpful. I just wanted to know if any of you hade this problem. I thought about rerouting it but I don't know. Any solutions please let me know. :banghead:

A18A
04-11-2009, 07:51 PM
is it possible you some how got one for a right hand drive car, as their speedo cables are alot shorter than ones from left hand drive cars

520STREETKINGZ
04-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow I didn't think of that! I thought the engine and tranny would be reversed too, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Dr_Snooz
04-11-2009, 08:59 PM
I thought those cables ran the most direct route to the firewall, along the back of the engine. I'd run it that way myself and be done.

520STREETKINGZ
04-11-2009, 09:33 PM
I'll try it tommorow. Thanks.

520STREETKINGZ
04-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Alright it worked. I ran it on the back side of motor. No problem with length. I'll Have to find a way to secure it to the fire wall. I was thinking of using a copper two hole strap with a rubber surround bend it so their is one hole and screw it to the fire wall with self tap screw.:)

520STREETKINGZ
04-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey guy's/gal's check out this email I received today from rockauto.com. It's about the speedometer cable.

Dear Adam, You are not going to believe this - but, I happened to hear my coworker - about five minutes ago - researching precisely this issue with exactly this part, and the same vehicle (actually a DX rather than an LX, but otherwise the same) in another order. So, I recognized the problem instantly when I opened your email, thanks to his efforts. You're absolutely right - this part is not correct for the vehicle. The ATP #Y-850 listing as it turns out a catalog error. We are correcting that error currently and this part listing will be dropped for this vehicle. We are refunding the entire order amount for this part. We are not asking that you return this part to us to get this refund. Rather, we ask that you retain the part for two weeks. This will allow our warehouse to request return of the part at its expense should it wish to do so. If you do not hear further within that time, you may dispose of the part as you wish. That leaves you with the problem of getting a new speedometer cable. The Dorman part which we list, Dorman part no. 03251, is the correct length. That part ships direct from the manufacturer, so there is a two day delay in shipping, but can be ordered directly from our website. It is priced at $22.79. We do apologize for this catalog error and any inconvenience it caused. As an aside, we also think that cutting the electric cord to length as a trial fit was absolutely brilliant. If we may be of any further assistance, please call our customer service number listed below or just reply to this email. Thank you, Ralph

RockAuto Customer Service phone: (608) 661-1376fax: (608) 836-5694toll-free: 1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288)http://www.rockauto.com

Nice very nice:bandance:

greentee76
04-15-2009, 03:23 PM
I used the ATP # when I replaced mine and actually liked the fact that it was shorter and didn't have to go all the way to the front and around back to the trans. To each their own I guess but I would prefer that they not take it out of the catalog, but rather add a note about the routing.

520STREETKINGZ
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I agree on both issues. The cable fits great and not so long. I'm gonna send them another email and like you said add a note to buyer stating that the cable will need to be rerouted on backside of motor or firewall.