PDA

View Full Version : 135 Amp High-Output Alternator Wire Upgrade

sbeasley
04-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm in process of installing a 135A High-Output Alternator in my 88 LX sedan.

I noticed the alternator output wire was only like a 10 Gauge and would need some help to supply the demands of a High Output Audio System.

Here is the mod that I'm adding while I'm in there to upgrade the current flowing ability.

1. Take off the alternator output plastic/fiber black insulator held on the alternator by 10mm nut.

2. Sand off the ridges that were sticking up higher than the 10mm nut to allow you to add a bigger 5ga. cable & lug.

3. I took some of my scrap amp feeder cable, 5 ga and installed a crimp lug then slid a 3/8 heater hose over the cable and lug to protect it from heat and shorts.

4. Now here is where my question comes in, I guess I'm going to connect the other end to the positive at the battery. It is hard to trace out the factory wire due to wire harness wrap but I'm guessing it runs to fuse panel by battery. Since the added amperage output is for for my Audio Amps/Subs I'm thinking I can run the new 5 Ga. Alternator output cable to the battery, which is where my JL Audio 500/5 Amp 5 Ga. home run cable will be coming as well. I think a combination of a 1000 CCA Battery, 135A Alternator, 1 Farad Cap and upgrading alternator output wire size should be able to handle any sub load I run.

I use a 1 Farad Capacitor at the amp to help with low bass notes.

Has anyone else upgraded their alternator and output wire for audio needs?

Thanks - Steve

Pico
04-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I did mine by piggybacking another fused cable direct to the battery.
I still had the factory wire on the alternator in addition to the upgraded/heavier cable

sbeasley
04-12-2009, 05:51 PM
OK, I did the same piggybacked the old with the new.

Just finished the alternator and test drove. Can't wait to get my tunes installed now.

Do you guys get good bass in sedans? I'm guessing firing subs to the back of trunk works best.

-thanks

89sei89dx
04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
when i had my sedan i ran 2 15 kicker L7 subs off a kicker 1200.1 amp pushin 1483 watts rms off the stock alt and wiring and never had any prob with any power. i got such good low bass. from 20 to 50 hz pounding. sounded awesome . mostly i ran them facing the back of the car. and it sounded awesome. i also turned the box around and faced them towards the front with the seat down sometimes and it was awesome.. i had cut out the back of the armrest in the back seat so it was like a port from the trunk when the armrest was down. that helped a lil when the seat was up. i also cut out two rectangle holes in the back deck between the 6/9s. the metal under the back deck had holes in it there and so i cut the carpeted piece right above the holes in the metal and it helped the bass too. i covered all the back deck with a piece of speaker box black fab like on old home tower speakers to make it look cleaner. .....heres a vid when i first cut out the holes.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7BgGSJVr_U ... this was with the same amp but lesser subs when i first installed a system in my sedan. vid sounds crappy but it sounded real good in the car... and yeah my camera broke from the bass and started rattling a cover for the lense.but this vid shows where i cut out the holes before i covered them. the holes helped. low notes hit hard. and the ampp was at like a 1/5 of gain. stereo rca output was 6.5 amps turned all the way down on stereo and the camera didnt take too the low notes well. i dont like distortion and all the distortion on the vid is from camera mic