PDA

View Full Version : Lower ball joints

russiankid
04-12-2009, 03:55 PM
I've been trying to chase down this pop sound I get when I roll backwards and apply the brakes. First thing that came to mind were ball joints. So I checked over all of them with a crow bar and none of the budged. I put enough force to bend the crow bar, and non of them budged at all. Car tracks straight, no vibrations, no popping or creaking under any circumstances. This only happens every so often when rolling backwards. Any ideas?

Heres whats done to the front end.

-Upper control arms with new bushings
-Tie rod ends and reman rack and pinion
-Moog lower control arm bushings
-Wheel bearings inspected when studs were replaced. They spin smoothly and no play.
-Axles have 30k or so on them.

I thought that it could be my brake pads shifting as after I mess with the brakes the noise disappears for some time. I've lubricated the caliper guides before and the noise went away from a few weeks but then came back again. Any ideas?

boost addict
04-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Make sure you have 2 stainless brake pad springs on each caliper, when i did the front brakes on my sedan it only had one for some reason, and the pad would clunk against the caliper when i braked in reverse.

Dr_Snooz
04-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Guibo.

...oh wait. You're talking about the 3g aren't you? ;)

Are you greasing the pads when you put them in? I think the pad backer plate is supposed to be greased when you install it. If you aren't doing that, they might be slipping out of the piston groove with a little more force and noise when rolling backward than you'd otherwise get.