PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump making groan, drop in rpm

04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
88 ACCORD LXI

This all started after finding out that the bubbling noise I was hearing in the car while standing still was a low PS reservoir. So my friend told me to use some atf and refill it After reading all the posts about how not to use anything but honda ps fluid I drained the system and put in new honda fluid. I hope I didn't destroy the pump when i drained the reservoir.

Currently the car makes a groaning noise when the car is parked and the rpms drop significantly.

I have done some searching and found a post where it said there is a electrical switch that bumps the rpms when turning the wheel. I don't know if I knocked it off, because I don't remember seeing one. Does anyone know where this is located or if the problem could be something else? (this is the thread where it is listed http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23445&highlight=turn+wheel+drop+rpm

I was googleing it as well, could it possibly be air in the system? Help it is driving me batty!!!!

Dr_Snooz
04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I think you're screwed, but someone else on here might have better news for you. You probably did destroy the pump but that's easily enough remedied by a quick trip to the junkyard. More problematic is the ATF you put in. Hondas are very particular about their PS fluid. The wrong fluid will eat out your seals and create magnificent leaks. That will be a lot more difficult to fix. If I were you, I'd buy a case of Honda PS fluid and flush the system about six times. Then I'd go to a few churches, light candles and pray a lot that it doesn't start pouring oil out of every seal.

Oh, and you bleed the air from the system by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times.