PDA

View Full Version : DTV converter boxes

Sabz5150
04-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Uncle Sam sent me my 40 dollar coupon for my DTV box, which upon buying I took apart :D These things are incredibly simple on the inside... just little embedded systems with a digital tuner. It shouldn't be much of anything to bypass the 120VAC and run these things off of 12 volts DC. They have composite and S-video output and should look decent on an LCD.

10 bucks for a car TV tuner? Yes, please :)

lostforawhile
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Uncle Sam sent me my 40 dollar coupon for my DTV box, which upon buying I took apart :D These things are incredibly simple on the inside... just little embedded systems with a digital tuner. It shouldn't be much of anything to bypass the 120VAC and run these things off of 12 volts DC. They have composite and S-video output and should look decent on an LCD.

10 bucks for a car TV tuner? Yes, please :)ok i'm getting one,i already have that cool lcd in car, mobile digital, i need one anyway but i'll convince my wife we don't really need it. you also should be able to pick up a bunch of those 12 volt battery powered tv/radios out of the trash soon, install a box inside and have a portable digital tv

2ndGenGuy
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Can you use your AM/FM antenna to pick up a signal?

Sabz5150
04-14-2009, 01:58 AM
ok i'm getting one,i already have that cool lcd in car, mobile digital, i need one anyway but i'll convince my wife we don't really need it. you also should be able to pick up a bunch of those 12 volt battery powered tv/radios out of the trash soon, install a box inside and have a portable digital tv

Two things we'll be up to our necks in: old TVs and digital tuners. Both will be extremely cheap not too long from now.

Actually, one of the places that has been focused upon the least with this "Big Switch" is car video. I haven't heard a peep about digital tuners or conversion methods to keep your car's TV capabilities intact.

ghettogeddy
04-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Two things we'll be up to our necks in: old TVs and digital tuners. Both will be extremely cheap not too long from now.

Actually, one of the places that has been focused upon the least with this "Big Switch" is car video. I haven't heard a peep about digital tuners or conversion methods to keep your car's TV capabilities intact.

well besides car dvd players the tv side is not very popular lol

Sabz5150
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
well besides car dvd players the tv side is not very popular lol

Yeah, it is a bit of an afterthought these days. I still dig it.

ghettogeddy
04-14-2009, 01:11 PM

i wish i had a car that a 15" drop down could fit into lol id love one or 2 of them

lostforawhile
04-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, it is a bit of an afterthought these days. I still dig it. i wonder how much the dtv will affect the car tuners? now you can get a digital signal with a small antenna. much more stable then analog while moving.

2oodoor
04-14-2009, 03:42 PM

me too, good to know about the internal step down tf being close to 12 vdc

those signals are much better and more practical for mobile tv tuning ... truckers, RVs Im sure will be on it quickley