PDA

View Full Version : white smoke

skong
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Yo i got 88 lxi and white smoke is coming from the exhaust and Just want some ideas of what it can be. I know it could be head gasket but need some other ideas. Just throw stuff at me. Thanks

russiankid
04-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Yo headgasket yo.

nswst8
04-15-2009, 06:08 PM
White smoke = Steam, H2O.

"HEAD GASKET"

Rendon LX-i
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
LOL ^^^^^ i was going to say the same thing.....YES if its cold or slighty cold or if you can barely see your breath as in steam then your car well do that... I remember when i asked so many people since i was freaking out since i saw white smoke. Dont worry bout it...only way to tell if you have a head gasket leak is with the dye or in the morning or cold open your radiator cap and turn your car on if you see bubbles then you have a leak...also check your dip stick , if you see water blops then you have a blow headgasker.....last if you loosing coolant. But i wouldnt worry bout it since im pretty sure its steam

mephi
04-16-2009, 01:06 AM
If it smells sweet like coolant, it is probably a head gasket. Otherwise ^^^ Listen to that guy.

fijisac
04-16-2009, 03:09 PM
well its very simple, is there white smoke only in da morning? if its just in da morning then its normal but its still there later in the afternoon then most likely u have a blown head gasket. another way to tell is how the car drive, if there is less power then before, then its the gasket. if not then i'm not sure

skong
04-16-2009, 04:13 PM
im just in denial, but it has symptoms of blown head gasket and other stuff that doesn't make sense to me.
First off, when i first start it, it does not smoke at all. And i have started the car with the rad cap off and it does not blow water from the radiator.
After it warms up then it starts to smoke out the exhaust. Smoke starts to come from the back of the engine and then the exhaust.
It smells like burning oil. Like Oil burning on the exhaust. But I cant find any leaks that would hit the exhaust. The oil filter or oil filter base is not leaking or Oil pan. My valve cover is not leaking, my rack is not leaking.
Thats why i think its an internal leak.

fijisac
04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
im just in denial, but it has symptoms of blown head gasket and other stuff that doesn't make sense to me.
First off, when i first start it, it does not smoke at all. And i have started the car with the rad cap off and it does not blow water from the radiator.
After it warms up then it starts to smoke out the exhaust. Smoke starts to come from the back of the engine and then the exhaust.
It smells like burning oil. Like Oil burning on the exhaust. But I cant find any leaks that would hit the exhaust. The oil filter or oil filter base is not leaking or Oil pan. My valve cover is not leaking, my rack is not leaking.

well thats how my car was so i changed da gasket and got my cylinder head resurfaced and how it runs great and oh i good way to check 2 c if u have a blown head gasket is to change ur oil and c if it smokes after u change ur oil

Civic Accord Honda
04-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Yo headgasket yo.

hard owt G

Rendon LX-i
04-16-2009, 10:12 PM

I didnt say that coolant would shoot out..But im not saying your wrong. but im a decent auto tech myself and thats how i detected blown head gasket. How can you say that nothing make sense LOL:dunno:. Dye testing would Tell you everything man. ANYwho if it smeels sweet then yes thats your problem...

skong
04-17-2009, 12:17 PM
ok thanks to everybody for your input, I will just ride my 3gee till the wheels fall off LoL

MessyHonda
04-19-2009, 06:56 PM
ok thanks to everybody for your input, I will just ride my 3gee till the wheels fall off LoL

fix it because these cars last forever with good care

CzEcHy
04-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Leaky master cylinder? If so then it's brake fluid causing the white smoke... Check it.

Lil Mike
04-21-2009, 12:20 PM

the wheels wont fall off. :rolleyes:

russiankid
04-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Leaky master cylinder? If so then it's brake fluid causing the white smoke... Check it.

How would that get on the exhaust?

Bluntman
04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
You may also want to do a compression test to see how each cylinder compares to one another.

CzEcHy
04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
He said coming from the exhaust, which means the vacum line from the brake booster is sucking unused fluid into the engine, causing massive amounts of white smoke at certain points while driving, from the exhaust.

skong
04-23-2009, 12:40 PM
compression test was good they were all at 180 but number 3 i think was alittle off but not that much at 175, I do have a leaking master cylinder but i think its just the gasket between cylinder and booster

CzEcHy
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
compression test was good they were all at 180 but number 3 i think was alittle off but not that much at 175, I do have a leaking master cylinder but i think its just the gasket between cylinder and booster

There's the problem, replace the master, get the brake booster sucked out (pretty easy), and voila'..

My gasket was the problem to, when I replaced it all (like 40$), it was fixed 100% after I drove and let the brake booster use what little bit of fluid remained after I got most of the fluid sucked out..

Forrest
05-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I had the white smoke bit and it turned out to be the head gasket. The plugs all had white residue on them from burning coolant and the overflow tank would bubble while the engine was running.

skong
08-28-2019, 01:38 PM
Update... I got o2 wires crossed. Swapped the connector wires and no more smoke. Not headgasket. Drove daily for for years then trans gave, then engine started to knock. It been sitting ever since 2013. Of course its now 2019!!

Oldblueaccord
08-28-2019, 03:24 PM
yo...thanks for the update.