PDA

View Full Version : Would a A20A3 fit in a A20A1 engine bay

Dat88Monstar
04-15-2009, 09:42 PM
i want to do a swap and was wondering would it fit with out changing motor mounts?? i hate da carb

Rendon LX-i
04-15-2009, 10:06 PM
yes it would....same engine my friend lol

A18A
04-15-2009, 10:28 PM
motor would be the easiest part to swap, but since you want to convert it to EFI, to do a good job of it, you would have to swap the cars main wire loom, install a EFI feed line and swap the fuel tank with the pump

Dat88Monstar
04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
itz my first swap my car has been sitting for 6 months becuz of the carb that wouldnt let it pass smog so i want to get rid of it so all i need is the motor not a tranny i hear with the 88 tranny 5th gear goes out after awhile

MessyHonda
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
i have a a20a3 motor in my dx...but its still carb...runs smooth because of the better cam and compression

Dr_Snooz
04-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Doing an EFI swap just to pass smog is NOT going to save you time or money. It's like burning your house down because a light bulb burned out. Just fix the blasted carb.

stereo
05-29-2009, 01:05 PM
A20A3 and A20A1 motors are interchangeable so you don't have to change anything else unless you want to convert to FI but it's more work then to to just fix the carb. but if you plan on doing a motor swap in the future then a FI upgrade now and motor swap down the road would reduce the down time as someone that knows their way around this car can do the FI swap in 1-2 days!

MessyHonda
05-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Doing an EFI swap just to pass smog is NOT going to save you time or money. It's like burning your house down because a light bulb burned out. Just fix the blasted carb.

who wants to deal with a carb that is ment to pass smog?....i hate my carb...runs like shit till summer time hits....i wish i knew how to tune it but the car is just tired

Dr_Snooz
05-30-2009, 12:12 PM
who wants to deal with a carb that is ment to pass smog?....i hate my carb...runs like shit till summer time hits....i wish i knew how to tune it but the car is just tired

Well sir, I guess it's easy for me to say because I have a car with FI... ;)

I really hate carbs and the Keihin carbs especially. They are just time-bombs under the hood if you're asking me. I've had reasonable success in the past just rebuilding them. It seems easier than trying to troubleshoot. Even then there is still a lot of head-scratching and swearing. I would surely try a rebuild before trying to convert to EFI though.

MessyHonda
05-30-2009, 05:05 PM

I really hate carbs and the Keihin carbs especially. They are just time-bombs under the hood if you're asking me. I've had reasonable success in the past just rebuilding them. It seems easier than trying to troubleshoot. Even then there is still a lot of head-scratching and swearing. I would surely try a rebuild before trying to convert to EFI though.

yeah...thats why i just bought a efi accord...so much more reliable and you can play with it more in the performace section. my carb car is a dx...

Tomisimo
05-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Carbs work fine in old ford or chevy. not in accord if you ask me. but thre is some nice setups here like
Marks D car.

lostforawhile
05-31-2009, 03:13 PM

I really hate carbs and the Keihin carbs especially. They are just time-bombs under the hood if you're asking me. I've had reasonable success in the past just rebuilding them. It seems easier than trying to troubleshoot. Even then there is still a lot of head-scratching and swearing. I would surely try a rebuild before trying to convert to EFI though.the stock ones are going to become impossible to fix due to damage from the dam corn liquor being sold as gas.

snoopyloopy
05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
by this question, are you trying to gain efi or a new engine? i'm leaning toward you just wanting to gain efi. if that's the case, then just swap intake manifolds, fuel pump/tank/lines, wiring and you can ditch a shitload of vacuum hoses. and if you feel brave and confident enough of your work and trouble-shooting abilities, might as well just do obd-1 at same time. that way you have less vacuum hoses and also can have a world of tuning options available to you that you just can't do with these obd-0.05 cars we have.

motocrosstcw
08-26-2010, 11:59 AM
itz my first swap my car has been sitting for 6 months becuz of the carb that wouldnt let it pass smog so i want to get rid of it so all i need is the motor not a tranny i hear with the 88 tranny 5th gear goes out after awhile

My 5th Gear is a trick to put in and 4th gear doesnt like to go in much.

lostforawhile
08-26-2010, 01:07 PM
My 5th Gear is a trick to put in and 4th gear doesnt like to go in much.

what does that have to do with swapping engines? http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww137/GoFenris/PolarBearFacepalm.jpg

premis77
07-07-2011, 08:55 AM
by this question, are you trying to gain efi or a new engine? i'm leaning toward you just wanting to gain efi. if that's the case, then just swap intake manifolds, fuel pump/tank/lines, wiring and you can ditch a shitload of vacuum hoses. and if you feel brave and confident enough of your work and trouble-shooting abilities, might as well just do obd-1 at same time. that way you have less vacuum hoses and also can have a world of tuning options available to you that you just can't do with these obd-0.05 cars we have.

Where can I get the conversion for OBD 1? Also, do you know where I can get a header and maybe a sweet intake?

stat1K
07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
look at thread dates noob, then learn to search.

Legend_master
02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Where can I get the conversion for OBD 1? Also, do you know where I can get a header and maybe a sweet intake?

look at thread dates noob, then learn to search.

This-----^ and wealth of knowledge already available at your figure tips.

A18A
02-16-2012, 09:29 PM
oh teh irony lol