PDA

View Full Version : car failed smog NEED HELP

Roknboker
04-17-2009, 03:32 PM
We're selling my girl friends 87 accord LX-i and when we took it in to get it smogged everything passed out except the idle.

apparently the car idles around like 1100 or so after its warmed up and I guess thats too high to pass the car. So im wondering how do i adjust the idle? on my civic and integra there is an idle adjust screw that is easy to find. Im not too sure where it is on her car.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

mephi
04-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Check the manual. It should be located somewhere in the technical, faq, or how-to parts of the forum. I'm not really sure how to do it myself.

Roknboker
04-17-2009, 05:13 PM
yea i was lookin at the technical manual online and it wasn't showing it. I'll have to look again.

anyone else? any ideas?

TRIPLE G
04-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Hello, to adjust your base idle you should have it warmed up to normal temp. then disconnect and plug the vacuum hose that runs from the idle control valve to the intake manifold. (the solenoid valve is mounted near the strut tower) (it is in a different spot on 88 and later). It is shown on the label under the hood. then all you do is adjust the speed with the screw on the top of the throttle body. It faces the passenger side. I hope this helps.

jdmca6
04-18-2009, 06:44 PM
top of throttle body. turn clockwise to lower ur idle rpm's