PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Timing. 88 LXI

flexsource
05-09-2002, 06:00 AM
Anyone know any tricks on getting the IGNITION timing correct? Evidentally the Honda service manual Has a qwerk in it. When I plug the vacuume lines to the vacuume advance unit and set the timing for 4 degrees and then connect the vacuume lines and see if it is 15 degrees, its off the scale. Pings on reving it up. I can back it off til it quit's pinging on reving. Thinking about EAR timing it and leaving it that way...

The vacuume advance unit is a brand new Honda unit.

Ideas appreciated

Thanks.

jteuton
05-09-2002, 12:10 PM
i have trouble following you but your unit should have two vacuum hoses. one for advance and one for retard...both should be removed from dist and set timing per factory specs.....jteuton

flexsource
05-09-2002, 12:50 PM
I'm gonna try it again tonight just to do an IDIOT check on myself. :sadwave:

I have the service manual. It says both lines provide vacuume for advancing purposes. One only works when the engine is cold to help performance. :sadwave:

I know I have them on correctly but swapped em to just test it..

rocky2
05-09-2002, 02:10 PM
When I changed out the engine in my dx I put a new timing belt and set the valves....it ran so good I left it alone.

When I think maybe my timing is off a little I just loosen the distributer hold down nut/bolt to just snug where the dist. will still turn........then adjust -out on the road...till I like the way it runs....and thats only after a full tune-up and fuel filter/air filter change.

dj99
05-10-2002, 12:10 PM
I have an '88 LX w/carb, and recently set my timing for the 1st time. I followed the following advice from another website:

?To check for pinging on 1984 and up Honda Accords, Honda suggests another timing method, which allows you to verify the condition of the advance diaphragms. First warm-up the engine, connect a timing light, disconnect vacuum hoses from advance diaphragms, the inside hose should have vacuum and the outside hose should not. Plug hoses, timing should be 3 degrees BTDC (white mark), reconnect the inside hose, timing should advance to the red mark. Connect a vacuum pump to the outside diaphragm and apply vacuum, the timing should advance an additional 4-6 degrees. Remove the vacuum pump from the outside hose and reconnect the outside hose. Now set the timing to the specs given in the service manual. Here's what you have just done; you've verified the condition of both vacuum advance diaphragms and the advance mechanism. and you have set the timing accurately.?

When I plugged the #2 vacuum hose in, the timing advanced to within 1/4" of the red mark. I looked at a new vacuum advance, and saw they had an adjustable advance, but don't care to fiddle with it. I don't have a vacuum pump, so I skipped the second part, but checked it "manually" with my own suction and the distributor cap off.

Please report back with your experience!

dan