PDA

View Full Version : Bad altenrator?

Microstreak
09-29-2002, 01:16 PM
My accord is just stock....for now. i was thinking of getting this 900w system in my car and replace all the spkrs and the head unit.

Now the problem is, i was goin to do it, until a few days ago i noticed something really wierd. if i turn the music up on my stock tape HU, the interior lights dim like crazy. i think they're too dim to begin with but they get worse. i havn't noticed the headlights dim at all.

I kno the battery is old, and i am going to replace it, but ive been wondering if i need a new alternator, as far as i know, it has not been replaced at all. Now im faced with the dillemma of what to do. Should i get the system and the battery neway, and risk finding out that the car can't take it, or find a new, much more pwrful alternator, and then get the system? ne advice would really be appreciated.

shepherd79
09-29-2002, 03:53 PM
start with battery. it is probably not holding good under heavy load.
get the biggest battery you can fit. i think the stock one is 550cca. i got for my car 750cca. i am running 500W system and it is fine and i am sure i am still have some room till my lights start dim.
if your car's lights still dim after you replace the battery, try the alternator.
that is just my opinion.
my setup never failed me.

Microstreak
09-30-2002, 06:22 PM
hmm, i was thinking of that, but a friend of mine. He has a 87 lxi, he said that he got an "illegal" 300 dollar alternator that is really powerful. Now i didn't know that there were perf. alt. that were illegal, but he says that he has noticed an increase in engine performance as well. i don't remember where i heard it, but i heard that a good racing type alt. gives u about 5 hp, he says it made a big difference. any input?

Microstreak
09-30-2002, 06:23 PM
btw, i am going to do the batt. thing first, hopefully that'll take care of it.... if not, than im going to have to find out whr to get a supposedly "illegal" alternator. (id rather have a pwrful one than a new one that has stock pwr output.)

shepherd79
09-30-2002, 06:47 PM
Illegal alternator????
never heard of it. may be he got pulleys?
try to get more info on it. i would like to hear what he did.