PDA

View Full Version : P/S leaking

89accord303
04-18-2009, 11:57 PM
hi im new here i made this account for a friend he has a 1989 honda accord lxi coupe... so my friend currently came over and was telling me he has no power steering so i went and got a bottle of p/s fluid put it in his car turned the steering wheel and the fluid was all gone... i did this about 3 times looked under the car and seen its leaking p/s fluid on the passenger side its droping off the tie rod... can any 1 tell me what i may need to replace on my friends car.... maybe his rack and pinion is shot? or bad tie rod?

thanks for any help im not to familiar with the 89 accords.. i work mainly on my DA9 (92 integra)

Dr_Snooz
04-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Rack. That'll be fun. Sorry.

LX-incredible
04-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah, it always seems to be the passenger side that goes... Not that bad to change if you don't mind dropping the exhaust and center beam... and have some tubing wrenches.
Much easier to change the bellows at the first sign of tearing...

russiankid
04-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I didn't drop my exhaust. I just took the downpipe off the manifold pushed it down when needed.

LX-incredible
04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
^ I actually did the same. Those 4 manifold nuts can be a real bitch though.

89accord303
04-19-2009, 12:32 PM
sweet thanks for all the info every 1 i really dont know the accord to much like i know the integras... i dont even know where the ecu is in the 89 accord lol

one more thing does any 1 happen to have a diagram from a manual for this job? that would be great help thanks.... i think if he dont have the $ to fix is he should loose the p/s.... its there a manual rack that will bolt right up to the chassis like the 92 integra can put the 88-89 civic manual rack in

Dr_Snooz
04-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Read and be wise grasshopper:

89 manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php)

LX-incredible
04-19-2009, 01:16 PM
There is no manual rack that will just bolt up. Welding new brackets in will be required.

1987AccordLx-i
04-20-2009, 10:59 AM
hi im new here i made this account for a friend he has a 1989 honda accord lxi coupe... so my friend currently came over and was telling me he has no power steering so i went and got a bottle of p/s fluid put it in his car turned the steering wheel and the fluid was all gone... i did this about 3 times looked under the car and seen its leaking p/s fluid on the passenger side its droping off the tie rod... can any 1 tell me what i may need to replace on my friends car.... maybe his rack and pinion is shot? or bad tie rod?

thanks for any help im not to familiar with the 89 accords.. i work mainly on my DA9 (92 integra)

well usually the right side goes on our cars.. when mine went i heard a POP and all the fluid was gone... its the p/s rack... not a cheap fix.. and not easy to replace... when mine went out i just disconnected all the p/s equipment and just went on my way..