PDA

View Full Version : LXi anti-sway bars on a DX?

mephi
04-21-2009, 06:13 PM
I was just looking over my DX, and it looks like I can just bolt the rear anti-sway bar from my LXi onto it. Am I correct here--I was just checking out the rear crossmember on the DX, and it looks like it has all of the appropriate holes. Should I also swap the front anti-sway bar?

turabaka
04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
yeah it'll fit. I've got a vigor rear bar on my accord, and it's pretty much the same thing. Just a bit bigger. I also believe the front lx-i bar is bigger than the dx, so if you want you can swap it as well.

markmdz89hatch
04-21-2009, 07:24 PM
So yes, they'll fit.

The front 88-89 LX-i bars are bigger than the 86-87's, and all DX and LX's. The DX's (and I think LX's) do not have rear bars, while the LX-i's do. Those too, will fit without any issue.

You'll need not only the bar itself, but the brackets and bushings, as well as the end links. Grab all those from your LX-i before you scrap it and you're in business. However, if I'm not mistaken, your parts LX-i is an 86 or 87, so I'm not sure that the front bar is any bigger than your DX, but I'm not positive.

Good luck, and please post up your findings.

mephi
04-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Just bolted it on and was going to say never mind, but thanks for all the replies. It actually looks like the LXi front bar is about 1.5mm bigger around than the DX, so I'm going to go ahead and do that on Saturday. I have 3 18 hour days in a row now though so it will have to wait.

snoopyloopy
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
i think the bars were the same size on all four models for the 3ga, but the 3gb lx-i/se-i had bigger fronts as well as backs. but don't bother quoting me on that.

mephi
04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Wait...3ga and 3gb? What were the model years and differences?

2drSE-i
04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Straight from the stickies guys:

86-87 (what they were referring to as 3ga)
Front (No Difference between Carb and FI) 20.5mm
Rear (Fuel Injected Only) 12mm
88-89 (3gb)
Front 22.5mm
Rear 13mm

I dont believe theres any difference in sizes from FI to Carb, only years. If you have a carbed car, you can always benefit from adding a rear bar, and if you have an 86-87, a great upgrade would be adding 88-89 bars.

markmdz89hatch
04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
thanks for posting up the info from the sticky (dammit, I still need to review your PM's. Sorry man)

Anyway, I can confirm one thing, which is that the DX (88-89) has a considerably smaller front bar than the 88-80 fi bars.

There is also no rear bar on any DX regardless of year.

2drSE-i
04-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I dont think theres a sway bar on any carbed 3g, i could be wrong there. I thought that the Front bar info mightve been wrong.

turabaka
04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
I dont think theres a sway bar on any carbed 3g, i could be wrong there. I thought that the Front bar info mightve been wrong.

There's no back bar, but there's definitely a front bar. I've been thinking about upgrading it to something a bit bigger, but for now I'm pretty happy with how my car handles. If I push it hard enough I can actually get the car to oversteer.

lostforawhile
04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
I have an 89 lxi hatch rear sway bar on my dx, it was missing all the hardware, so i ordered the end links and bushings from majestic and got grade 8 harware from the hardware store. was a little bit tricky to figure out how it went on, when you are installing it,it looks like it will hit the arms,until it's all installed and the car is level. I couldn't find a picture anywhere. I believe addco still makes heavy duty front and rear bars for our cars, i looked at their site a couple of weeks ago,and they had kits going to the 70's for hondas

2drSE-i
04-23-2009, 06:24 PM
There's no back bar,

yea thats what i meant lol. I was having a day lol.

lostforawhile
04-24-2009, 02:15 PM
yea thats what i meant lol. I was having a day lol.
there's a back bar on lxi hatchbacks, all the mounting holes are on the carb cars, you need the bar and end links from the lxi, i'm sure you could get the rear bar as an option on a carbed car if you wanted, you could get anything with the cash. saw a carbed car with a leather interior once, torn all to crap, but money talked to the dealer.

MessyHonda
04-26-2009, 11:43 PM
there's a back bar on lxi hatchbacks, all the mounting holes are on the carb cars, you need the bar and end links from the lxi, i'm sure you could get the rear bar as an option on a carbed car if you wanted, you could get anything with the cash. saw a carbed car with a leather interior once, torn all to crap, but money talked to the dealer.

yup i went to the junkyard and i saw a lx-i with leather interior...i thought it was a se-i but no cupholders for me

Tommy AC89 Thailand
04-27-2009, 06:10 PM
yeah it'll fit. I've got a vigor rear bar on my accord, and it's pretty much the same thing. Just a bit bigger. I also believe the front lx-i bar is bigger than the dx, so if you want you can swap it as well.

I want a bigger 1.

Ichiban
04-27-2009, 06:11 PM
I want a bigger 1.

i want the smaller one

turabaka
04-27-2009, 06:39 PM
i want the smaller one

lol.

lostforawhile
04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
lol.
actually the smaller rear lxi bar is better tuned to the hatch then the other bar, more is not always better when it comes to something like that. you don't want the back of the car so stiff that it breaks rear traction loose. I was really suprised how much effect the small rear bar had on the car. remember the lxi hatch is heavier then the dx,so the bar is tuned for the heavier hatch to begin with. this has the same effect as the larger bar on the lxi would have,since the dx is lighter.

turabaka
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
actually the smaller rear lxi bar is better tuned to the hatch then the other bar, more is not always better when it comes to something like that. you don't want the back of the car so stiff that it breaks rear traction lose. I was really suprised how much effect the small rear bar had on the car.

agreed. I'm pretty happy with my setup though. The vigor bar seems to hold pretty well for the autocrossing tracks I've run, and I'm not really wanting to upgrade the front one for fear of causing some extra understeer.

For now I'm done with suspension and brake related goodies. Time to start in on headwork. As soon as my next check comes in I getting a head to work on.
/me goes to start a thread asking for suggestions.

MessyHonda
05-01-2009, 12:16 AM
i drive a heavy car but i think that the 4th gen accord bar is a good upgrade too...i have yet to spun out...i got good tires and once i side drifted a turn....the car was still under control