PDA

View Full Version : Not so new guy

cbr600rx7
04-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Hey every on just stoping in to introduce my self. I may be hated a little bit on here but let me explain. I used to have a 1988 accord LXI that i drove as a daily driver the car had over 300,000 miles on it when i sold it a few years back and i can say i loved how easy it was to work on. I race both the 1/4 mile and small U-car class circle track. Well my old 2.5 grand-am gave out it was time to find a new car to run. I found a old 2 door honda that was a front running car that had a little damage on her. Over the past few weeks i have been working at getting her back up to speed and ready for the track once again. U-car class rules make you run near stock or at least stock appearing so the factory air box and things of that nature must remain on the car. I am joining to forum to help with a cam selection and just basic info on the car. It is a FI engine A20A3 but past that i dont know very much about the car. AC and PS are removed of course. I will try to post up a few pics latter this week just keep in mind its not a street car and it is made for wheel to wheel racing not looking pretty.:tongue:

Civic Accord Honda
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Bisi now sells cams and valve springs for us :thumbup:

cbr600rx7
04-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Hmmm never heard of them. Do you have a link by chance? Also i have searched what are the factory cam specs for the 2.0 FI american engine. I plan on pulling the head off this weekend and sending off to be shaved down a bit. What do you recomend for a head gasket.

cbr600rx7
04-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Bisimoto engineering it took a few searches but i got it :D.

cbr600rx7
04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
A few dirty pics.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/cbr600rx7/3rdload030.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/cbr600rx7/3rdload028.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/cbr600rx7/3rdload026.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/cbr600rx7/3rdload031.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/cbr600rx7/3rdload032.jpg

Fear the Beast :nervous:

cbr600rx7
04-25-2009, 06:22 AM
Any body have any input on what is the best head gasket to run. This is a hard worked engine with a little bit of head work so i am not sure if a cheap advance auto gasket is the best way to go.

Also what are my limits when shaving the head.

2drSE-i
04-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Just have a custom headgasket made. I wouldnt shave the head too much. Cometic makes custom head gaskets if you decide to go that route.

guaynabo89
04-25-2009, 09:32 AM
spend the money on an OEM Honda head gasket.

i dont know how strict the rules are in your class, BUT you might be able to get away with swapping in an OEM honda B16 intake manifold and throttle body along with airbox. That alone should let it breathe easily enought to gain u some better acceleration.

Would they let you get rid of all the vacuum lines etc? Im sure uoi wont be using ac and cruise etc. So in the end youlll have like 3 vacuum lines intead of 20.

2drSE-i
04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
the stock b16 intake manifold looks almost just like ours. ;-)

cbr600rx7
04-25-2009, 06:26 PM
LOL that was my next question. Ruls are not that strict as long as the enigne is stock appearing ;). What air box are you refering too? Just any old D-series air box? Also is there any threads on swaping the B-series manifold with the A-series? More specifically the vacum lines.

Tomisimo
04-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Here it is

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49453

bobafett
04-26-2009, 09:26 AM
looking good I love the car!

for camshaft I recommend a delta 282 for sure. It ran a little rough, but if you are allowed to have cams (people WILL notice) its a good choice.

If cams are a sneaky mod a delta 272 will definitely give you a nice advantage over the stock cam and not be TOO noticable, especially if you don't have exhaust system upgrades. I think 272 is what these accords should have come with from the factory :D

Fortunately these are pretty inexpensive, about 105 without a core, maybe 75 with a core.

http://deltacam.com/

Oh and they usually ship it out really really fast!

2ndGenGuy
04-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Man why would you get hated on for that? That car is awesome! Looks like a riot to race, and you've definitely got a bulletproof motor! Nice work, got any race video? Do you have to run stock exhaust on the car?

cbr600rx7
04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Te 272 would be perfect and that is a great price. What kind of valve springs do you recomend to run with them? As far as the B-series goes that might be a better project for next winter when i can afford a little more down time with the car.

Dr_Snooz
04-26-2009, 09:55 AM
Somewhat off-topic and possibly a threadjack but what does the 272 do to your mpg?

bobafett
04-26-2009, 09:56 AM
If you aren't going to rev super high, i believe people like to use A18 valve springs on the cheap. However Bisimoto is about the only game in town for valvetrain components, although I am willing to bet that SI Valves would hook us up if we a$ked them to.

Somewhat off-topic and possibly a threadjack but what does the 272 do to your mpg?

couple mpg decrease, i still got 37mpg with mostly freeway driving when i had my 272. :)

Pico
04-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Welcome.
I agree with 2ndGenGuy, I 'd love to see video of the car in action when you get a chance

cbr600rx7
04-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Man why would you get hated on for that? That car is awesome! Looks like a riot to race, and you've definitely got a bulletproof motor! Nice work, got any race video? Do you have to run stock exhaust on the car?

No we are allowed to run manifolds or headers. Most people just cut the exhaust and dump it under the car. I went a little bit more aggressive and ran a new flex pipe with 2 1/4 inch piping from the manifold back into a small expansion chamber then crushed 2 1/2 inch pipe flat to make a small boom tube. The exhaust is very mild at idea and sounds better then 90% of the cars in this class. Plus it doesnt wake the neighbors ;)

rjudgey
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Don't waste money on custom or honda get felpro gasket they are for highly tuned engines and are teflon coated so makes regular tear downs easy as it doesnt stick to the head or block much.

As for the header, just port and flow the 4-2 cast section the two downpipe ports in the header can be matched to the downpipe sizes which are typically 1.75" this makes big difference and as you've allready modded the downpipes collector and got a straight through should work nicely.

As for the cam i would go with the 272 and if you can rebuild the engines if you machine .5mm off the block and 1mm off the head add in some .3mm oversize A20A4 pistons then you'd have some pretty high CR ratio. What can you do to the head? can you cut new seats and smooth the throats or is this a big no no?? as that would help, also knife edging the throttle body and putting in countersunk screws into the spindle will help too.

Upgrading your plugs to non resistor types and running some good leads with new dizzy and rotor will help lots too. can you add in an adjustable fuel regulator? maybe some slightly bigger matched injectors too.

cbr600rx7
06-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Well its been some time. I spent a few weeks working on a few other projects trying to keep the old truck running and playing with my other love.

We did make it down to a test and tune a few weeks ago and had a little luck. Most of which was bad. Some bad humidity and a brake issue kept us from getting a good 60 and the car was falling off bad on top end. We did pull a new best of 11.4 @ 117 with a 1.6 60" there is still a lot to be had in the lower end i think with stickies and being able to get the converter up a bit she should be able to pull a little better. The air sucked too so i fill like that was a big issue up top of course we should be able to add a little bit of timing in there still but we will have to see.

Now for the one you have all been waiting for :nervous: nothing has happend i am sorry to say. After the last test and tune i broke my Tibia and Fibia in my right leg so i have been down you could say. I do plan to get back on her in the next week or two. As expected she is going to need a new head gasket and it might be a good time for a little extra work :cool:. I did have a friend jump in and take her down the road the other day about 2 miles. Not sure the neighbors where too happy but i found it very entertaining. ;)

Tdurr
06-28-2009, 10:18 AM
can i drive ur car? lol looks like fun.

cbr600rx7
06-28-2009, 04:10 PM
LOL well i let just about any one that wants to get on the track and practice run ;). Not like you can do a lot of damage :cheers:

Tdurr
06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
psh where do u live? lol i fly fo FREE!!!

cbr600rx7
06-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I call VA home however i live in NC.

I see the Import Alliance. You didnt have any thing to do with that LS1 civic hatch build?

Tdurr
06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
no, i saw it tho lol. BTW, u should go to import alliance in ur car. would be amusing to see everyone scratch their heads.

cbr600rx7
06-29-2009, 02:26 PM
LOL well i dont see my self getting a warm welcome over there ;). I am a GM guy to start out with but respect all forms of motor sports. With that being said i hate the kind of guys that think any one is better then the other. Thats why i dont hang out on big forums.

Long story short i dont do forums most of the time. I hang out on smaller forums because you dont have that im better then you kind of mind set.

Other then the little race honda i drive a 2003 mazda speed protege as my DD. For the weekends i have the trans am.

I also used to own a 1988 LXI accord and that was the one that started my love into auto sports. Later on i had a little 95 4 door with a little bolted H22 swap.

cbr600rx7
07-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Taking a few steeps forward now. We found a leak coming from the water pump so that was good news. This week i will be doing a little sheet metal work to the back and replacing both half shafts. Also plexi glass for the windsheild.

Strugglebucket
07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
When you have the head and intake manifold off, I would get rid of/bypass all those little coolant lines. The less of them there are, the less likely one will pop on you @6000rpms.