PDA

View Full Version : Getting an extra instrument cluster, what to do with it?

tedhodges
04-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi guys,

I am getting an instrument cluster from an 87 LXi. I don't really need it, but I thought I could do something fun with it. I am trying to figure out a way to get it connected to a computer, and have the needles report stats of the computer. For example: I like the tach to report either the processor load or fan speed, the temp gauge report how hot the computer is (and if it gets too hot, turn on the PGM-FI light), the fuel gauge report the battery charge level ( and have the low fuel light and battery light come on when it's low), ect.

I think it would be possible, I figure I would need to write a program to convert the data into voltages, and have a control box that would take that data and turn it into something the cluster could use.

Any suggestions on how I could accomplish this?

Thanks!

2ndGenGuy
04-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Well I was just reading today how a Serial port can output text and done at the right frequencies can run a tach.

http://www.turbocontrol.com/CoolStuff/computer_tachometer.htm

There's how to run the tach. The speedo would be tricky, since it's cable driven, but maybe a 12v fan could spin a short cable, and you could regulate the needle off the fan speed.