PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

The Law
04-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey guys, my name is Lawrence.

A little background info. This car us to belong to my dad when he lived in canada. Then after he came to california he gave it to my aunt. After driving it for a couple years they stopped driving it. My aunt has had their 1981 Honda Accord 5spd in their backyard. It has been sitting in their backyard for at least 7 years or more. They have offered it to me if I wanted it and I accepted their offer. But first I have to do plenty of things to it first to get it up and running. I am looking forward to finally getting it up and running as it is still a very good conditioned car. The car only has 91xxx kilometers on the speed odometer which calculates to around 56xxx miles on the car. 56xxx miles for a 1981 car!? Yes, I did say 56xxx miles. These are all original miles never rolled over.

Pics of the honda

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/f0de5875.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/4444b4e3.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/9df5b539.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/1e28e623.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/f4c08d87.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/579e5cb1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/f8941c2f.jpg

With 91,xxx km which is about 56,xxx miles
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/f483e44f.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/TheLaw05/Honda%20Accord/bb00f7cf.jpg

The rust in the engine bay isn't as bad a it looks. The camera settings were set differently which makes the rust look a lot worse than it really is. At the moment, I have gotten the car to start and run. I am about 75% done with the car with only trying to unfreeze the passenger side rear brake, take the front rotors off and bleed the brakes as well.

If somebody could please inform me of how to take the front rotors off that would be great. My friend and I tried it last week and couldn't get the rotors off at all. We even used a hub puller but to no extent.

Hazwan
04-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Looking good. Doesn't look that bad. Some TLC and it should be good as new :)

Any full exterior pics?

lostforawhile
04-23-2009, 06:07 AM
i'll send you to a carb person,that cvcc carb sitting is not good for it, go to importcarbs.com his number is up there, he is very reasonable and has been in buisness forever, get with him,he probably has one in stock, once you check out everything else, that would be the first thing i would do. you need to do stuff like drain and refill the oil, change all the filters,drain and fill the coolant, flush the brakes and check them for corrosion and frozen calipers, basic stuff,battery needs to be trashed. the rust on the engine looks bad, has it been in the weather? does the engine turn over? as far as by hand? you need to get some marvel mystery oil, squirt a little bit in each cylinder,just a teaspoon maby, and turn over the engine by hand. this will help prevent scoring due to the cylinder walls being totally dry. change the oil before you do this, you don't want nasty oil being pumped through the engine. when you are ready to start it, disconnect the coil lead wire,ground it to the body, then crank it over until you get some oil pressure, this will stop the valve train from being wiped out on startup, the cvcc cams are prone to this on certain lobes. once it starts running ,drain the oil again,change the filter again, then in a couple of hundred miles change it again. there will be a lot of crap in there from condensation, it will mix right in there with the oil.

Hirst
04-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Nice car, looks very similar to mine except the steering wheel being on the other side. Even an 81 too!

carotman
04-23-2009, 06:38 AM
i'll send you to a carb person,that cvcc carb sitting is not good for it, go to importcarbs.com his number is up there, he is very reasonable and has been in buisness forever, get with him,he probably has one in stock, once you check out everything else, that would be the first thing i would do. you need to do stuff like drain and refill the oil, change all the filters,drain and fill the coolant, flush the brakes and check them for corrosion and frozen calipers, basic stuff,battery needs to be trashed. the rust on the engine looks bad, has it been in the weather? does the engine turn over? as far as by hand? you need to get some marvel mystery oil, squirt a little bit in each cylinder,just a teaspoon maby, and turn over the engine by hand. this will help prevent scoring due to the cylinder walls being totally dry. change the oil before you do this, you don't want nasty oil being pumped through the engine. when you are ready to start it, disconnect the coil lead wire,ground it to the body, then crank it over until you get some oil pressure, this will stop the valve train from being wiped out on startup, the cvcc cams are prone to this on certain lobes. once it starts running ,drain the oil again,change the filter again, then in a couple of hundred miles change it again. there will be a lot of crap in there from condensation, it will mix right in there with the oil.

Since this is a Canadian car, it doesn't have that CVCC crap! :D

2ndGenGuy
04-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Word. No CVCC there, yo. If it were CVCC you wouldn't even be able to see the carb! :D

Interior looks great! Car looks pretty clean overall. I know what you mean about the camera making everything look worse than it is! Like when you clean your interior and the flash makes your car look dirty again! I hate that.

Welcome to the site, and keep us updated on your project!

lostforawhile
04-23-2009, 08:57 AM
my bad, i saw the cali in the signature, disregard the carb,but follow the rest of what i said to get it started smoothly with no issues.

2ndGenGuy
04-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Oh yeah, is this a Canadian car living in California? That would be pretty sweet!

The Law
04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
my bad, i saw the cali in the signature, disregard the carb,but follow the rest of what i said to get it started smoothly with no issues.

Almost everything you have said has already been done. All I have left to do it the brakes. But I am stuck right now since I can't get the rear passenger side drum to get loose. The e-brake cable is stuck.

The Law
04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Oh yeah, is this a Canadian car living in California? That would be pretty sweet!

Yes, it is a canadian car that will be living in california.

Ichiban
04-23-2009, 04:16 PM
The brake rotors on this car are stupid. You need to undo the spindle nut, press off the hub, and then I believe the rotors are bolted on to the back of the hub flange, or are just held on by the wheel studs, I can't remember. I got rid of my 81 almost two years ago.

Yeah, to get it running, pull the plugs, shoot in some regular clean engine oil, change the oil and filter, and run it on the starter until it shows oil pressure. If you want to be really picky about it, pull the valve cover and add your threee litres of oil by pouring directly onto the valvetrain. I personally wouldn't bother. Don't use stupid mystery lubes or seafoam or anything other than engine oil in your crankcase. It was designed for engine oil, use engine oil.

See that picture of the carb you posted? That thing with the 3 bolts hanging off of the bottom right of the float bowl is the accelerator pump. After sitting dry, the diaphragm likes to dry out, and when you fill it with gas again, it pisses it all over the exhaust. Simply unstaking the 3 nuts and snugging them back up usually fixes it.

2ndGenGuy
04-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Man, I hope you don't go to all this work to find out you can't get it into California. I don't think that it will pass emissions as an 81 Accord, because the US models were CVCC, and burned quite cleaner. It might be old enough to be exempt, but really look into getting it licensed in California first. You might be able to import it into the country easily enough, since it's probably got the same crash standards as our car, or is close enough to fool the USDOT. But you might not get it through the California import laws. But you COULD keep it licensed in Canada, registered to a friend or family member and drive it down here. But there is like a 90 day limit to keeping an out of country car in the US. But I doubt customs will find it down in California.

The Law
04-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Man, I hope you don't go to all this work to find out you can't get it into California. I don't think that it will pass emissions as an 81 Accord, because the US models were CVCC, and burned quite cleaner. It might be old enough to be exempt, but really look into getting it licensed in California first. You might be able to import it into the country easily enough, since it's probably got the same crash standards as our car, or is close enough to fool the USDOT. But you might not get it through the California import laws. But you COULD keep it licensed in Canada, registered to a friend or family member and drive it down here. But there is like a 90 day limit to keeping an out of country car in the US. But I doubt customs will find it down in California.

Well the car is actually in california now. I just need to try and get the car to smog.

The Law
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
The brake rotors on this car are stupid. You need to undo the spindle nut, press off the hub, and then I believe the rotors are bolted on to the back of the hub flange, or are just held on by the wheel studs, I can't remember. I got rid of my 81 almost two years ago.

Yeah, to get it running, pull the plugs, shoot in some regular clean engine oil, change the oil and filter, and run it on the starter until it shows oil pressure. If you want to be really picky about it, pull the valve cover and add your threee litres of oil by pouring directly onto the valvetrain. I personally wouldn't bother. Don't use stupid mystery lubes or seafoam or anything other than engine oil in your crankcase. It was designed for engine oil, use engine oil.

See that picture of the carb you posted? That thing with the 3 bolts hanging off of the bottom right of the float bowl is the accelerator pump. After sitting dry, the diaphragm likes to dry out, and when you fill it with gas again, it pisses it all over the exhaust. Simply unstaking the 3 nuts and snugging them back up usually fixes it.

Well the car is running now. I just need to fix the brakes on the car. I can't get the rear passenger side drum to spin as I think its frozen. The e-brake cable won't release for the passenger side.

Pico
04-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Looks like a fun project car

Rendon LX-i
04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Welcome.....Thats a clean car man..some TLC and you should be good to go

Joay
04-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes, I did say 56xxx miles.
:eek5: Dude!
Congratulations, that car will be tits once you get everything sorted out. You could easily get another 15 years out of that thing. Keep it around and welcome to 3Geez.

Ichiban
04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Well the car is running now. I just need to fix the brakes on the car. I can't get the rear passenger side drum to spin as I think its frozen. The e-brake cable won't release for the passenger side.

Beat the outer corner of the drum with a dead blow or rubber mallet. It will eventually free up and expose the mess that your brakes are.

The Law
04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Beat the outer corner of the drum with a dead blow or rubber mallet. It will eventually free up and expose the mess that your brakes are.

I'll give that a try

redr2
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
It should pass smog ok even down there. The CVCC's did not burn that much cleaner anyway.....it was more of a way for Honda to by pass the need for a catylitic converter and the leaded vs. unleaded fuel.

Civic Accord Honda
04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
sweet car man!!!! i love it, keep up the work man looks like an awesome car!

79cord
04-30-2009, 04:26 AM
It should pass smog ok even down there. The CVCC's did not burn that much cleaner anyway.....it was more of a way for Honda to by-pass the need for a catalytic converter and the leaded vs. unleaded fuel.

You might need to fit a Cat. converter though to meet the stricter rules the CVCC engine was conceived to achieve without one.... If it still has to match those rules...

& As said The front disc rotors are a pain to replace most easilly achieved by taking the entire knuckle assembly to a brake place to press the hub apart, replace the wheel bearings &re assemble. And thus best avoided

2ndGenGuy
04-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Well, the 49 states models wouldn't pass California emissions. Their emissions were so strict there, that there was a separate California model with extra emissions controls. And at least the 79 and up CVCC cars already had cats on top of that. That's just what I was thinking.

The Law
05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh I see. Well I'll go try and get the car smogged first. If it doesn't pass smog then I will try and figure out ways to get the car to pass. Cause I really want this car to drive around as I just find it very fun to brag that it is older than most people but has less miles than the newer cars:rofl:

Civic Accord Honda
05-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Oh I see. Well I'll go try and get the car smogged first. If it doesn't pass smog then I will try and figure out ways to get the car to pass. Cause I really want this car to drive around as I just find it very fun to brag that it is older than most people but has less miles than the newer cars:rofl:
good luck man im sure your get it to pass even if you have to pay extra if you know what i mean ;)

Bluntman
05-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Here is the DMV website and and maybe you can see about the whole Canadian transfer issue I suppose. Hope it helps.

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid
1975 year model or older
Diesel powered
Electric
Natural gas powered and has a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 14,001 lbs. or more.
Motorcycle
Trailer
When changing ownership:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr32.htm

General smog FAQ:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smog.htm

The Law
07-25-2009, 09:47 PM
So an update on the car. I finally got sometime to change out the brake master cylinder and now the car is up and running for good. But I still need to change out the rotors which I had trouble doing the first time and depending on what happens with smog and if I can transfer the car, I will prob have a shop change out the rotors.

2ndGenGuy
07-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah the rotors are a bitch. Shop manual says you need a press... booo! Might be able to get them turned on the car...

The Law
07-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah the rotors are a bitch. Shop manual says you need a press... booo! Might be able to get them turned on the car...

I have fresh rotors to replace them so I'm just going to have a shop take them off.

I'm crossing my fingers that the DMV will let me pass.....I'm so scared of all my hard work going down the drain cause it won't pass with the DMV.....:nervous:

A18A
07-25-2009, 10:03 PM
cooool interior!!

The Law
07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
So the car finally got a wash in 7+ years. Drove it over to my friend's house even though it doesn't have registration at the moment, I know I know....terrible idea.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/ken060984/IMG_1191.jpg

Hazwan
07-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice! Need more pics!!

The Law
07-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Nice! Need more pics!!

Soon will if I can get the car to pass smog and if the dmv allows it

The Law
07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Well it doesn't look like my car will be driven on the road now. I tried to get the honda manufacturer to give me a letter of certification or something like that. Well Honda USA won't pass it cause of seat belt restraints. And it can't be modified to pass either. Looks like im SOL......:crying:

Can somebody get me a US vin number? like steal it off a junked US car? Or does anybody have any ideas that I can use? Cause I really want to drive this car especially since it was my dad's first car.

lostforawhile
07-31-2009, 01:11 AM
Well it doesn't look like my car will be driven on the road now. I tried to get the honda manufacturer to give me a letter of certification or something like that. Well Honda USA won't pass it cause of seat belt restraints. And it can't be modified to pass either. Looks like im SOL......:crying:

Can somebody get me a US vin number? like steal it off a junked US car? Or does anybody have any ideas that I can use? Cause I really want to drive this car especially since it was my dad's first car.
why can't you get an exemption for it being an out of US car? a 49 state car has to pass the 49 state rules, as long as it's original you should be able to get some kind of exemption go to the SEMA website and try to contact them,they might be able to help.

79cord
07-31-2009, 02:27 AM
Honda USA won't pass it cause of seat belt restraints. And it can't be modified to pass either. Looks like im SOL......

Pretty frightening outcome!

If the USA required different seatbelt bolt threads that might be difficult to change but it seems unlikely? Belts themselves can be changed easy enough. I wonder if they just couldn't be bothered looking into it properly.
Other differences might be heavier side-intrusion bars in the doors, child-restraint anchor types & of course the bumpers, metric gauges & the emissionized engine.

If people can manage to register newer RHD JDM with some difficulty it seems absurd you couldn't get a car from Canada!

The Law
07-31-2009, 02:35 AM
Pretty frightening outcome!

If the USA required different seatbelt bolt threads that might be difficult to change but it seems unlikely? Belts themselves can be changed easy enough. I wonder if they just couldn't be bothered looking into it properly.
Other differences might be heavier side-intrusion bars in the doors, child-restraint anchor types & of course the bumpers, metric gauges & the emissionized engine.

If people can manage to register newer RHD JDM with some difficulty it seems absurd you couldn't get a car from Canada!

Yeah, I hope I can do something about it. Cause the last thing I want to do is get rid of this car due to it having sentimental value to my father (his first car).

2ndGenGuy
07-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Yeah dude, keep looking into it. You've gotta be able to find a loophole. Maybe call an importer and see what they say. They are the people who get JDM cars imported here. Your other option is to buy a POS 81 Accord and swap the VINs onto yours. Though I think your VIN is etched into the firewall anyways... or did that only start on the 2nd gens... Either way, I think it's doable. Nobody will know, or question and old Accord, since it's not exactly a popular car to import.

Ichiban
07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
That is so stupid. The CMVSS requires american cars imported into Canada to have Canadian spec bumpers installed because CMVSS tests theirs at like 3km/h faster than US DOT does.

And that's about it. So fucking stupid.

And why would a Japanese built car have different seat belts for Canada than for the states? I'm sure the parts are identical.

Edit: You should post up the response from Honda USA so we can pick it apart.

The Law
07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
That is so stupid. The CMVSS requires american cars imported into Canada to have Canadian spec bumpers installed because CMVSS tests theirs at like 3km/h faster than US DOT does.

And that's about it. So fucking stupid.

And why would a Japanese built car have different seat belts for Canada than for the states? I'm sure the parts are identical.

Edit: You should post up the response from Honda USA so we can pick it apart.

The response was from a phone call. I should prob email them and ask.

2ndGenGuy
07-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Never hurts to call a second, third or fourth person in a big corporation. You're likely to get a different answer each time. And still have them all be wrong. Happens to me all the time when I deal with HP, Microsoft, Intel, Dell, etc. They're so big nobody knows what's really going on. Fuckers.

The Law
07-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Never hurts to call a second, third or fourth person in a big corporation. You're likely to get a different answer each time. And still have them all be wrong. Happens to me all the time when I deal with HP, Microsoft, Intel, Dell, etc. They're so big nobody knows what's really going on. Fuckers.

Actually, they have me on record.

2ndGenGuy
07-31-2009, 11:38 PM
OMG. This is the first pic I've sen of it all shiny and clean!! Wow looks mint! How did I not see that before!! You need to get that thing registered man!!! One way or another!

2ndGenGuy
07-31-2009, 11:40 PM
I just noticed too. Hazwan's 1gee has the same hood as my hatch. But your sedan has a bit squarer, more chromey hood. A little USDM bling. :D But neither of you have a fuckin hood ornament!!

79cord
08-01-2009, 05:39 AM
I just noticed too. Hazwan's 1gee has the same hood as my hatch. But your sedan has a bit squarer, more chromey hood. A little USDM bling. :D But neither of you have a fuckin hood ornament!!

Yep the JDM/N-American saloon hood with the raised center-tip. Never fitted to hatches..... - or even Saloons in most other markets. Diffrent grille to match & didn't have the "ornament" either but Hazwan & I had to remove ours.

Chassis number on the cowl panel...

79cord
08-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Honda USA won't pass it cause of seat belt restraints. And it can't be modified to pass either.

Maybe they are thinking of all the funny/daft "automatic" seatbelts of the late '80's early '90's. Not relevant to older cars.

Hirst
08-05-2009, 06:53 AM
With regards to 2ndgenguy's "other option" suggestion - pick up the 1974 version of Gone in 60 Seconds, then watch what they do with the Dodge Challenger near the start. It's like a how-to guide!

mopuddin
01-03-2013, 02:25 AM
aww man. talk about a cliff hanger. whatever happened with that beauty? oy vey, what a bureaucratic cluster f.

The Law
01-03-2013, 02:43 AM
aww man. talk about a cliff hanger. whatever happened with that beauty? oy vey, what a bureaucratic cluster f.

Figured I'd answer your question. The car is now sitting in my backyard and still not registered. Very sad :(

The Law
01-03-2013, 02:43 AM

Figured I'd answer your question. The car is now sitting in my backyard and still not registered. Very sad :(

Dr_Snooz
01-03-2013, 08:40 AM
I must have missed this thread the first time. What happened that you weren't able to get it registered?