PDA

View Full Version : Removing front rotors on a 81 accord

The Law
04-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm stuck guys. I've tried the hub puller and I can't seem to get the rotors to come over. I need help.

2ndGenGuy
04-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I dunno man. I didn't even mess with that, because you need a press or some sort of special tools to get those damn rotors off. I hate how they're pressed in!!! I took the knuckles off my car and had a shop do the rotors and the wheel bearings at the same time.

How exactly are you stuck? Did you manage to get the hub completely out? If so, you might need to give the rotor a good whack to get it to come off of it's backing. Could be just rusted to another part. Maybe some pics would help.

lostforawhile
04-23-2009, 09:00 AM
the brake rotors? did you take out the two big phillips screws? all my 81 civics they came right off.

Joay
04-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Are they hub-over-rotor like fourth-generation Accords are? If so then you need to get them pressed out and then back in.

2ndGenGuy
04-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Are they hub-over-rotor like fourth-generation Accords are? If so then you need to get them pressed out and then back in.

You nailed it.

The Law
04-23-2009, 04:14 PM
the brake rotors? did you take out the two big phillips screws? all my 81 civics they came right off.

I didn't see any phillips screws unless I somehow missed it.....

Ichiban
04-23-2009, 05:19 PM
See my other post on your other thread.

Joay
04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
I didn't see any phillips screws unless I somehow missed it.....
Most Hondas just have two countersunk screws holding the rotor on, but in the case of the 2G Accord, the rotors are behind the hub assembly. You need to take the whole assembly out, take it to a shop, and have the rotor pressed off and back on.

No clue why Honda chose to do it that way, but it wasn't the only time.

jasonrebellion
05-17-2009, 02:51 PM
yeah i was doing my rotors today and they're countersunk phillips...but one of them stripped out and i had to drill it out and now i can't get the rest of it out. the extractor bit that fits it just tightens up and doesn't do anything. argh.

Dr_Snooz
05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
You CAN get them out in your garage. You will have to pull the knuckle, which is probably what you're trying to avoid, but you can pull the knuckle, prop it between two boards and beat the hub out with a punch like this one:

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/pic0056.jpg

Hit firmly but don't go gonzo. Walk your way around the hub and slowly it will work its way out. You can do the wheel bearings the same way.

If you just want to turn the rotors, take them to the dealer and have them turned on the car. The dealer will charge you like $150 (robbery) to do it, but you won't have to tear down the front end. When you get done, be sure to bed the brakes properly so you don't end up right back at the dealer the next weekend with wobbly brakes.

Finally, begin looking for a rotor-over-hub swap to get that stupid design off the car.

Dr_Snooz
05-17-2009, 03:59 PM
yeah i was doing my rotors today and they're countersunk phillips...but one of them stripped out and i had to drill it out and now i can't get the rest of it out. the extractor bit that fits it just tightens up and doesn't do anything. argh.

You don't technically need those screws. For years before I got an impact driver, my first act when removing the front wheels on a new car was to pitch those lousy rusted nuisance screws in the trash. The lug nuts hold the rotors to the car, so there's no risk of them coming off.

jasonrebellion
05-17-2009, 06:30 PM
You don't technically need those screws. For years before I got an impact driver, my first act when removing the front wheels on a new car was to pitch those lousy rusted nuisance screws in the trash. The lug nuts hold the rotors to the car, so there's no risk of them coming off.

is that safe? cause if it is..then I'll just put the one screw back in and be done with it....save me 40 bucks by not having to buy the tap and die set....

jason

The Law
05-17-2009, 11:17 PM
You CAN get them out in your garage. You will have to pull the knuckle, which is probably what you're trying to avoid, but you can pull the knuckle, prop it between two boards and beat the hub out with a punch like this one:

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq132/dr_snooz/pic0056.jpg

Hit firmly but don't go gonzo. Walk your way around the hub and slowly it will work its way out. You can do the wheel bearings the same way.

If you just want to turn the rotors, take them to the dealer and have them turned on the car. The dealer will charge you like $150 (robbery) to do it, but you won't have to tear down the front end. When you get done, be sure to bed the brakes properly so you don't end up right back at the dealer the next weekend with wobbly brakes.

Finally, begin looking for a rotor-over-hub swap to get that stupid design off the car.

Would you happen to know where I could find a rotor-over-hub assembly?