PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove Fuel Pump Cut-off Relay?

nerdmeier
04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
'87 Accord DX

For the life of me I can not figure out how to get the fuel pump cut-off relay out of its socket! Is there something I have to squeeze? or pry out? It is in such an awkward location!

I replaced the fuel pump a few weeks ago because the car began to die on occasion. The car has run fine until last evening. I noticed that when I turned the key on I did not hear the pump running. The old pump was encased in plastic and you could not really hear it when you turned on the key. The new pump is not encased in plastic and you can hear it buzzing in the tank when you turn the key on. I towed the car home.

This morning I turned the key on and heard the pump. The car started fine and has been running well for a number of miles.

I suspect I need to replace the Fuel Pump Cut-off Relay but I can not remove it! I've tried prying on it a bit but it is not budging and I do not want to break anything. Is there something I need to squeeze? or pry out? anybody know the secret?

Dr_Snooz
04-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Is this a warm start issue? If so, I'd say it's your main relay. There are at least 3.2 billion threads about it on here. If you need more detail let us know.

Oh, and I don't know how to get the cutoff relay out. Sorry.

AccordB20A
04-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Is this a warm start issue? If so, I'd say it's your main relay. There are at least 3.2 billion threads about it on here. If you need more detail let us know.

Oh, and I don't know how to get the cutoff relay out. Sorry.
slight contradiction there mate lol it will have EITHER a fuel cutoff relay (carb) or main relay (pgm-fi) :)

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2009, 05:48 PM
slight contradiction there mate lol it will have EITHER a fuel cutoff relay (carb) or main relay (pgm-fi) :)

Sorry, I'm sooooo over carbs. Ignore me.

lostforawhile
04-24-2009, 07:27 PM
reach up behind the dash squeeze the tabs on eithier side of the relay inward, at the same time and pull it out, takes a few seconds to remove it

Bass'doutLx-i
05-31-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that my car has a bad main relay, I've heard though that if I can get my car to start and it stays running, then it's not the main relay, but if I start my car early in the morning I can leave it running all day. The only time it won't run is when it been sitting and not running for more than 5 minutes. does that sound like a main relay to you guys?

w261w261
05-31-2009, 06:19 PM
You have an LX-i, right? So it has a main relay. Next time it doesn't start, remove the change drawer. Reach in and up to the left and see the main relay. It's probably about 2" square with a white plug going into the bottom. Give it sharp whack with the end of a screwdriver or something. If the car then starts the relay is your problem.

Demon1024
06-01-2009, 04:46 AM
def the relay imo
take it out re solder the connections and it's good as new

w261w261
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM
take it out

Yeah, +just+ take it out (as they say in Japan..."laughing behind hand")