PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to wire N/A JDM B20A

mykwikcoupe
04-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Wow how time flies. Its been nearlly 4 years since I started the turbo project and thats 4 years since my cars been titled and passed emissions testing. In washington this means to get it reliscenced I have to get it inspected by the state patrol unless I can get it through emissions very quickly.

So in lieu of whats transpiring ive removed the turbo and all the associated parts and fitting and am converting the car back to N/A. Im wondering though is it easier to get the car up and running in OBD1 conversion with a chipped ecu or keep the black box and try and find the P03 ecu that came with the b20a? This is unfortunatly about speed and efficientcy. I dont have a visual inspection but have to pass smog. All help and insight is greatly appreciated. Mike

bullard123
04-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Yes the quickest way will be to keep the black box and go with the PK2 ecu. Tommy (Twoloudnproud makes a conversion harness that you can plug right in to the PK2 ecu)

2oodoor
04-23-2009, 12:54 PM
if the car is apart anyway I would just handle both goals of getting it ready for the turbo and driveable at the same time. OBD conversion harness were made available easy this week.
If you just want it driveable, yes just hook it up oem. That way you could fall in love with driving it again and possibly get more assertive at the project again??? lol

mykwikcoupe
04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Ive already got it wired OBD1 but I cannot find a basemap or a place to chip the P06 Ive got. I was planning on running chrome or uberdata or something but havent had luck. if tommy will chime in and charge me to send me a rom or if I send him my ecu that would be cool. What do you guys think.

Id like to have the secondary temp sensor deleted, secondary 02 sensor deleted, egr stuff deleted and all the rest of the pre obd stuff if there is any. I read a thread by carotman about the pk2 ecu so if one of those guys can help. i did pm jean already.

88LXi68
04-24-2009, 07:16 AM
xenocron or phearable.net should be able to get you a basemap

mykwikcoupe
04-29-2009, 09:53 PM
ok so im going to yank the obd1 stuff tomorrow and install the stock intake back on the car. When i use the pk2 ecu do i have to use the pk2 dizzy and xhaust pickup or can i use the stock b20a, teg, what? Thanks again and i love this site and the willingness of the members to help.

mykwikcoupe
04-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Got the b16 intake removed and mounted the stocker back on. I forget a couple of key points so maybe someone can help me out.

What hose did everyone use to go from the pcv valve DOWN to the vent box under the intake manifold. Mine is gone and I cannot find it anywhere. Is there a usdm part that cross references it?

There is a water line that goes from the T-stat housing to a metal line thats plumbed to the intake manifold between intake 3-4. It appears to go back to the main water line(black big pipe) under the intake. Whats this for and can i leave it undone with no problems? Cap the water lines obviously?

On the front of the intake manifold there is a IACV and one water line goes to the TB the other I believe went to the big black water pipe. The only ties I have to that water line are on the opposite side of the block under the Tstat housing. Is this really where the IACV is fed from?

With the pk2 ecu, what dizzy and exhaust cam pickup do I use. If tommy reads this how much for a harness adapter? Will this work since I dont have 2 O2 sensors and 2 temp sensors like the a20a?

bullard123
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Got the b16 intake removed and mounted the stocker back on. I forget a couple of key points so maybe someone can help me out.

What hose did everyone use to go from the pcv valve DOWN to the vent box under the intake manifold. Mine is gone and I cannot find it anywhere. Is there a usdm part that cross references it?

There is a water line that goes from the T-stat housing to a metal line thats plumbed to the intake manifold between intake 3-4. It appears to go back to the main water line(black big pipe) under the intake. Whats this for and can i leave it undone with no problems? Cap the water lines obviously?

On the front of the intake manifold there is a IACV and one water line goes to the TB the other I believe went to the big black water pipe. The only ties I have to that water line are on the opposite side of the block under the Tstat housing. Is this really where the IACV is fed from?

With the pk2 ecu, what dizzy and exhaust cam pickup do I use. If tommy reads this how much for a harness adapter? Will this work since I dont have 2 O2 sensors and 2 temp sensors like the a20a?

The prelude B20A5 dizzy will work but you will need to get the external ignitor from it as well. You will have to disable one of the O2 sensors on the PK2 ecu to take care of the extra O2 sensor problem. There is a how to i will find that explains it better

bullard123
04-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Here it is
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31622&highlight=B20A+igniter

mykwikcoupe
04-30-2009, 07:23 PM
sweet thanks bullard. on the O2 sensor can I just crimp both accord wires to the single sensor wire and send the same signel through both wires like using 2 O2 sensors?

Thanks Mike

mykwikcoupe
05-01-2009, 06:48 AM
after a long late night chat with b20aaccord lasat night i think i decided on the proper direction but have a few questions I had to drum about through the night.

Im going to keep the black box and wire everything like the stock a20a3. Im going to ditch the sto0ck b20a dizzy and crank sensor in exchange for a 1st gen teg d16 dizzy and crank sensor. i was informed its a plug n play application with the b20a engine and a20a3 harness I can even use the a20a3 ecu assuming the maps r all there and correct.

Im wondering though the a20a3 ecu is going to throw a few codes, the lack of a secong O2 bung and tempo sensor being the 2 main ones that pop into my head. i believe the b20a only have the TW sensor and is missing the coolant temp sensor instead relies on the fan temp sensor in the radiator for that function. If someone can verify this and let me know if im forgetting anything else.

The overall benefit is the vac dizzy with the b20a says i can have it bolted yup in 15 minutes and running that day No wires to run nothing. may1 today. i have 6 days to get this thing through emissions after a 4 year slumber. Ouch

carotman
05-01-2009, 07:28 AM
I thought I had summarized everything well but it seems it's still a bit confusing.

The B20A I have only has 1 Temp sensor on the head. The fan sensor on the bottom of the radiator only controls the fan.

The PK2 ECU can be "tricked" to think there are 2 sensors by installing a 4 wire O2 sensor on the front pipe behind the engine (like later Hondas). However, I was experiencing hesitation when going at steady speed at around 50 mph. The PH3 ECU only has 1 O2 sensor from the factory and the second O2 is disabled via a diode in the ECU (this has been discussed here before). I still need to test the theory that installing a diode in the PK2 ECU would disable the secondary O2.

Running the B20A with the PJ0 (A20A) ECU is a bad idea unless it's a temporary solution. The mappings are too lean for the B20A. I had detonation when I used the A20A ECU (I have high compression pistons tough)

mykwikcoupe
05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
ok thanks jean. do you think running the d16 dizzy but ph3 ecu would work even though im not using the proper dizzy but more for sensors?

carotman
05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
This wouldn't work at all. The PH3 will see you're missing the crank sensor. The engine will run but it will run like crap.

RobT5580
05-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I am running a A20A3 ECU and it does have detonation LOL but its just a b20a i had laying around for parts so i am not concerned.

AccordB20A
05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
both motors are 2.0 should not have any issues, one just flows better than the other, if it knocks retard the dizzy lol

But yesh i forgot about that last night