PDA

View Full Version : Honda Bond

Dr_Snooz
04-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm getting ready to rebuild my donor trans in anticipation of my manual swap. I got the kit but the jokers at the store folded the large housing gasket in half breaking it. I called one dealer for a replacement and he tried to sell me Honda Bond instead of a gasket. He told me that the factory never used a gasket, just Honda Bond to seal the biggest seal on the trans. I smell a rat. Has anyone on here had one of these manual trannies apart? Is this guy blowing smoke at me?

mykwikcoupe
04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Bond is by far the best gasket maker on earth maybe even everywhere else too. Ive used it when rebiulding my B2K5 transmission and now I use it whenever I place 2 objects together. Ive used it on side cases of my motorcycles and even on the oil pans with fantastic results. I used a dab in the corners of the vlave cover gasket and its the only one Ive ever done that hasnt leaked just a little down the road. Buy, use it love it. The other must have honda lube is the silicone spray. It returns old rubber wheatherstripping to new, use it on the window tracks, seat rails basically takes the place of white lithium grease but for interior parts only.

Pico
04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I know of some shop that I sell to that swear by it.
Also hears some pics of the tranny apart if you need to get a Idea of how it looks apart.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost.php?p=739340&postcount=64

AZmike
04-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I've had a few Accord transmissions apart. There were no leaks using gray Permatex and no leaks using the OEM paper gasket I have in there now.

2ndGenGuy
04-23-2009, 09:22 PM
My A18A transmission is sealed up with some kind of RTV type stuff, probably not as good as Honda Bond is. It hasn't leaked yet. I'm sure you're good to go with the Honda Bond.

Civic Accord Honda
04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Honda Bond seems to be Really good I've heard over a dozen good things about it and not 1 bad thing!!.

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks or all the feedback. I asked the question because I've talked to this guy before and he's not an idiot. It just sounded pretty far-fetched to me.

Pico, I got that same kit, only the big paper gasket has been compromised by them folding it. Has it worked out pretty well for you?

It sounds like I'm good not using the single biggest paper gasket in the kit then. If it was anyone other than you guys telling me this I'd be like ....um....whatEVER....

Thanks again!

russiankid
04-24-2009, 03:18 PM
I just see it this way. If Honda put a paper gasket there, and these gaskets last a long ass time, they did it for a reason. They could have just used Honda Bond instead, but they didn't.

lostforawhile
04-24-2009, 03:31 PM
they hadn't invented it yet is the reason. there are a lot of paper gaskets that honda recommends honda bond in place of now. there was no such thing in 86.

Civic Accord Honda
04-24-2009, 03:55 PM
they hadn't invented it yet is the reason. there are a lot of paper gaskets that honda recommends honda bond in place of now. there was no such thing in 86.

Exactly.

Hauntd ca3
04-24-2009, 04:54 PM
honda bond , three bond or what ever that type of sealant is, its the shiz.
i used it on a mates nissan terrano instead of a sump gasket and it dont leak a drop .

lostforawhile
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
on a lot of things paper gaskets are really outdated, they are old technology, the new gasket makers and sealers are light years ahead of them. you just have to use the right one, people get frustrated with them because they use a sealer for the wrong application. they are also great for gaskets that aren't available anymore. when i was young it was paper gaskets and indian head gasket shellack,rtv wasn't even that trusted yet.

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2009, 06:03 PM
I just see it this way. If Honda put a paper gasket there, and these gaskets last a long ass time, they did it for a reason. They could have just used Honda Bond instead, but they didn't.

Actually the guy at the parts counter said that they DID use Honda Bond at the factory. There never was a paper gasket. Only Honda Bond. I went to another dealer to double check and there is no gasket listed in their database. Nothing on the picture either, so I'm inclined to believe him.

Pico, do you remember how the housing was sealed when you disassembled your trans? Was there a gasket or just goop?

Oh, and a total threadjack. I bought some Honda Bond today and the dealer wanted to charge me $24 for a little tube. I told him another dealer had quoted me $12 and he instantly matched the price. Thieving rascals. I'm going to start negotiating every price they give me. I probably still got robbed at $12.

mykwikcoupe
04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
$24 is too high but 10-12 sounds about right. My a20a and b20a trans both came apart with goop no gasket. They barely used any but I used more than enough just to be sure. A nice hard bristle paint brush to apply work great.

cubert
04-24-2009, 06:11 PM
The 24 bucks doesnt really surprise me. The Suzuki (motorcycle) brand stuff is close to 30 bucks a tube retail...but damn does it work well.

Civic Accord Honda
04-24-2009, 06:12 PM
yeah mine looks like it has some goop that has eased out around it when they put it together on my civic. and i know it has not been rebuilt because it sucks ass

LX-incredible
04-24-2009, 07:01 PM
These transmissions were made to use a gasket. If you use gasket maker in place of it, you're going to alter the differential side to side clearance. Be prepared to change out the snap ring (#8) with one of the correct thickness.
http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/herson/jsp/catimgs/13sg70_m08.gif

lostforawhile
04-24-2009, 07:19 PM
These transmissions were made to use a gasket. If you use gasket maker in place of it, you're going to alter the differential side to side clearance. Be prepared to change out the snap ring (#8) with one of the correct thickness.
http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/herson/jsp/catimgs/13sg70_m08.gifif you put in the honda bond and torque it properly, the gasket material is going to end up at about the same thickness as a paper gasket, you aren't trying to squeeze it out, the material has thickness also. oh my old honda rebuild book shows a gasket,but honda may have discontinued it in favor of a formed gasket.

russiankid
04-24-2009, 07:20 PM
If you compress Honda Bond it will get pushed out like RTV sealant. A paper gasket won't do that.

lostforawhile
04-24-2009, 07:23 PM
If you compress Honda Bond it will get pushed out like RTV sealant. A paper gasket won't do that.i will have to get ahold of some and torque and compare it to paper gasket material, if it all squeezed out it wouldn't seal there has to be enough to form the gasket, i know of plenty of transmision shops that use formed gaskets instead of old paper gaskets,with no problem. honda bond is also not RTV, rtv behaves a lot different as far as on flat sealing surfaces. there is a permatex material that is designed for the same thing as honda bond, replaces flat gaskets, i've used it a lot and it keeps a film in there about the same as a gasket.

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Oddly enough, the service manual shows a paper gasket. It's marked "replace." I'm cornfused...

LX-incredible
04-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda still sells the gaskets for our transmissions, I just bought one and used the another in my rebuild 7 months ago. 21391-PC8-S00.

I don't care how creative you get with the torquing, honda bond is going to come out thinner than the paper gasket. Yes you can use it, just keep in mind that the case and bell housing are going to mate closer than they were before. You will blow the differential bearings out without using the correct snap ring. This is why it should always be installed last, after torquing the case bolts.

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks man. I just ordered it. We'll see what's what when I pull it apart.

Hauntd ca3
04-25-2009, 02:00 AM
If you compress Honda Bond it will get pushed out like RTV sealant. A paper gasket won't do that.

the dif between the paper gasket and honda bond once torqued up is only going to be maybe 5 thou if that.
might make a slight diff to bearing preload but i doubt it would be enough to drastically shorten the life of it

lostforawhile
04-25-2009, 08:30 AM
the dif between the paper gasket and honda bond once torqued up is only going to be maybe 5 thou if that.
might make a slight diff to bearing preload but i doubt it would be enough to drastically shorten the life of it
if you use a setting sealer, the trick is to apply the sealer, put the bolts in tight enough to hold the part,then retorque after it sets up. this stops the sealer from being squeezed out. it's not just honda bond, i mentioned before permatex makes a sealer that sets up, these sealers are specifically designed to maintain the proper film thickness to replace paper gaskets. paper gaskets are quickly vanishing, a lot of OEM manufacturers now use these high tech sealers to replace them.