PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Auto Trans?

ACE_14
04-23-2009, 07:52 PM
My transmission is going out and I was wondering what year tranny is the best? I want to keep it auto, and I don't mind losing a few MPGs for some power. And I know someone here will still tell me to go 5spd if I want power, but I'm staying auto. I've got an 87, but I read somewhere here that the 89s are better, is that true? Or are the 87 prelude trannys better?

Right now I'm thinking of just rebuilding the one I've got, but it may be worth it to pick up another off a junker, rebuild it and swap them if its better.

What trannys the best?

Joay
04-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Whats the best Auto Trans?
Contradiction in terms, my man. :D
I honestly don't know if there's an appreciable difference by year, but if you have any transmission rebuilt it ought to outlast the rest of the car. It's still a Honda.

Civic Accord Honda
04-23-2009, 08:51 PM
The best auto trans is no auto trans!! haha but yeah i don't think there's any difference if anything maybe the 88-89 lxi ones are geared differently but im not sure. i would just stick to getting yours rebuilt

rustlude87
04-23-2009, 09:09 PM
or the 85-87 prelude Si tranny

Dr_Snooz
04-24-2009, 05:46 AM
In general, the fuel-injected trannies are geared a little lower (faster off the line, lower mpg). The carbed trannies are geared a little higher (higher top speed, higher mpg). I wouldn't mess with it myself. They chose the tranny in your car carefully because it's the right mix of power, economy and weight. They are all superlative transmissions for autos. What you might find is that they're all worn out irreparably so save yourself the expense of buying another tranny that will still be worn out after the rebuild. You'd be best served by spending money to buy a new valve body than to buy another scrapper.

2oodoor
04-24-2009, 05:58 AM
89 is a much stronger tranny from what I was told, so far mine is awesome although Im not using it at the moment.

MessyHonda
04-26-2009, 11:30 PM
yeah use the 89 fuel injected tranny...also you can upgrade and get a aftermarket cooler so it will last longer

Hauntd ca3
04-27-2009, 01:57 AM
if there was a way to graft the b20a auto on the a20a, i'd go that way
all that a20a autos i drove were geared way to tall and they just didint feel right if you know what i mean.
the b20a ato is still to tall for my liking but aint to bad.
the honda autos arnt cheap to rebuild coz they arnt a normal auto.
i was qouted 2k to do one up .
the o rings are nearly as expensive as the clutches eh.
it was less than half that to convert to manual, which even tho made the motor rev a bit higher at 60/65 mph gave better than 10% better mileage and was far quicker to that speed too.
but if you are wantig to stay auto, rebuild the trans you have and you'll just have to accept the cost as a normal running expense

ACE_14
05-16-2009, 07:17 PM
What do you guys think about an 88 lx tranny? I have a chance to pick up one for cheap.

ACE_14
05-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I went to check out the tranny and it looked great. Dirty on the outside, but inside, so clean it looked brand new. Fluid is bright cherry red, like it should be. So I picked it up. I only paid $125 for it.

lostforawhile
05-18-2009, 05:14 PM
get a better transmission cooler and get an external spin on filter, best thing i can say,other then make a boat anchor out of it and get a 5 speed.

ACE_14
05-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Do you know anybody that makes an external filter kit for the 3g?

lostforawhile
05-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Do you know anybody that makes an external filter kit for the 3g?

they are universal you run it inline with the lines going to the cooler.

MessyHonda
05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
yeah b&m has a kit for like 60 bucks