PDA

View Full Version : Transmission?

FederalSecurity
04-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Everyone,

I need some advice for my 88 LX-i. My automatic transmission started slipping and finally gave out. My girlfriend's father helped me put another transmission in and it still won't work. I've done some searching on this forum and I've still got nothing.

2ndGenGuy
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Details?

FederalSecurity
04-25-2009, 03:21 PM
The cars starts, but no matter what gear I put it in, the car just sits there like it's in neutral. I hope I didn't put another bad transmission in.

Joay
04-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Are the solenoids working? When you change gear does the engine rock or the idle drop?

FederalSecurity
04-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Actually the engine rocks and the idle drops when I change gears.

2ndGenGuy
04-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Did you reuse the same torque converter? Maybe that is bad.

FederalSecurity
04-25-2009, 04:26 PM
2ndGenGuy,

I'm pretty sure we did use the old torque converter.

Joay
04-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah sounds like the transmission itself is working. At enough to know what gear it's in.

FederalSecurity
04-25-2009, 05:09 PM
What parts would you all recommend changing, if any?

Hauntd ca3
04-25-2009, 09:03 PM
there's stuff all to go wrong with a converter really a part from the stator clutch dieing or the lock up plate wearing out.
if the motor rocks and the idle drops when you put it in d4 or what ever, that would suggest that its engaging a gear and loading the motor so the prob might be elsewhere

Rendon LX-i
04-25-2009, 09:08 PM
well first and far most.....do you have oil in there lol...auto tranny dont like even when you low in oil....low in oil causes it to slip or not move at all

FederalSecurity
04-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Haunted ca3,

You gotta trust me when I say this, I'd rather try and replace almost any other part instead of another transmission. :crying:

Rendon LX-i,

I've still gotta fix a major transmission fluid leak, but I believe the fluid has been topped out every time I've tried to drive the car. By the way, what part of the 509 are you in?

Dr_Snooz
04-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Check the E-brake.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously though... I'm with Rendon on this. Too little fluid and the car won't go. If you have a massive leak, you are probably not getting enough pressure to get the car going. Have you actually checked the fluid or are you going from memory? Is it frothy? Froth indicates too little fluid.

I'd like a little more explanation about what's happening. What you've given isn't especially helpful. You say you can start the car and put it into gear without difficulty, right? The engine bogs down and the driveline loads up like there is power going to the wheels. Yet when you let off the brake and step on the gas, the car stays still? No noise, no struggle? That's completely bizarre. When you gas it, does the engine load up more or just spin freely? If you look under the car is the diff spinning? The drivelines?

Trannies aren't a whole lot of fun, but they aren't the worst thing you will encounter doing your own work. Just take time to think about what you have to do and how you will tackle it before diving in. Take some time to think over what you've just done. Did you forget something obvious, like... oh ...bolting up the torque converter to the drive plate? Did you notice that the splines in the diff were missing? Did you leave the spindle nuts off or not set the driveshafts, etc. You'd be surprised the silly stuff you can miss that will really foul up a job.

Let us know what you learn.

Rendon LX-i
04-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Rendon LX-i,

I've still gotta fix a major transmission fluid leak, but I believe the fluid has been topped out every time I've tried to drive the car. By the way, what part of the 509 are you in?

I live in yakima, selah area...

2oodoor
04-26-2009, 11:48 AM
im with Snooz on that, plus check the linkage and also the tv cable adjustment.

Hauntd ca3
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Haunted ca3,

You gotta trust me when I say this, I'd rather try and replace almost any other part instead of another transmission. :crying:

mate, thats why i threw the auto when it blew and went 5speed

FederalSecurity
04-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Alright guys,

I found the major transmission fluid leak and fixed it. Tomorrow I'm going to buy some more transmission fluid and see what I can make this LX-i do.

FederalSecurity
05-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Update:

The LX-i is running so far. I topped the fluids off and took the car for a test drive, but I'm still noticing some "slippage". Most of the time it happens when I accelerate from a stop or going uphill. I'm going to have to do some more searching on 3geez to find out if there's anything else I can do. If worse comes to worse, I might pour another 1/2 pint of SeaFoam TransTune in.

greentee76
05-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Check the TV cable adjustment like Roodoo said.

89sei89dx
05-01-2009, 10:35 PM
what area of washington u live in, federal