PDA

View Full Version : 89 carb engine into 87 LXI

StrobeWylan
04-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I need to replace my 1987 LXI motor. It's got a 5 speed and of course fuel injection. I picked up what I believe is a 1989 carbureted accord (whole car) for cheap. It has good compression and sounds good. No title with it. Only clue that it is an 89 is an old insurance ID card among the trash in it. The motors look the same outwardly. I want to swap motor (including head) into my 87. Keep my 5 speed etc. (the parts car is auto).

Any thoughts as to this working? Any way to verify the year of parts car (the vin didn't seem to help me)?

Thanx in advance. I've read this forum a long time but never posted before.

lostforawhile
04-26-2009, 12:13 PM
the block will work, but i think you will need the head off of the lxi due to the dizzy being different and the cam being different. is the head good in the car now?

StrobeWylan
04-26-2009, 01:19 PM
The LXI was stolen when I was visiting in Seattle and the thieves must have overheated it. I think the head is warped. # 2 & 3 only have 100 pounds compression. So I'm hoping to swap whole engine.

StrobeWylan
04-26-2009, 01:35 PM
The dizzy is different but they both look like they mount the same. Also the thermostat housings are different with different sensors but they also look like they mount on the head the same. (doing a visual did not actually try to mount them).

So are the cams different? I could swap them? I could check my cam to see if the heat effected it?

I've been reading this and it seems like this is doable.

http://www.geocities.com/carotman/howto/eficonv/EFIconversion.htm