PDA

View Full Version : tw sensor

jasonrebellion
04-26-2009, 12:55 PM
hey I'm new here and my 87 lxi is throwing a tw sensor fault....which one is the tw sensor? It's got two sensors right next to each other on the thermostat housing, one a yellow color and one green... thanks for any help! Also it's the fuel injected model.

Jason

AccordB20A
04-26-2009, 01:18 PM
i saw the message u left me and i cant help cause my engines a b20a and i dont have those 2 sensors. im pretty sure one of the sensors is TW and the other is for the fan

turabaka
04-26-2009, 01:27 PM
i saw the message u left me and i cant help cause my engines a b20a and i dont have those 2 sensors. im pretty sure one of the sensors is TW and the other is for the fan

I thought the sensor for the fan was on the bottom of the radiator.

AccordB20A
04-26-2009, 01:47 PM
i dont know thats just the general idea i got from reading other peoples threads on here

Dr_Snooz
04-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Merciful heavens what a disjointed thread this is. The TW sensor is closest to the block. Now fix it and rock on!!!

AZmike
04-26-2009, 04:34 PM
The two switched places between 86/87 and 88/89. The TW swtich has a 3/16" diameter end, the switch is the wider one. If you have an ohmmeter, you can test it also. The switch will only have continuity if it's hot. The TW sensor should have continuity all the time and a resistance in the 100s (if it's working).

jasonrebellion
04-26-2009, 05:46 PM
so then the one directly above the thermostat is the tw? The tan colored switch and not the green one? I went to autozone and they said it was the wells part # su410, but I got on here and saw where someone said it was the su 4006. my local autozone had that one in stock but it was listed in their computer as a non-vehicle item. So i got it..now I'm tryin to find a large enough metric socket to take it off and replace it.....it's a bitch to get to.

Jason

3gmodifier
04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
hey I'm new here and my 87 lxi is throwing a tw sensor fault....which one is the tw sensor? It's got two sensors right next to each other on the thermostat housing, one a yellow color and one green... thanks for any help! Also it's the fuel injected model.

Jason

i too got ur message in both my messages and visitor messages. the procedure already described with the use of an ohmeter is the first thing that should be done. if its within specs, cool. if not replace it. i am not sure of the differances between the two available sensors and there part numbers as i use OEM honda parts all the time, everytime. but if you have already purchased the sensor, use and see what happens. if you dont have a big enough socket, take your time and remove as many part neccesary and then use a large combo wrench or the infamous adjustable crecent wrench. let me knowif any of this worked. later!

jasonrebellion
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
so....i went to put on the sensor...din't have a socket big or deep enough. it was 10 30 so i went to walmart to see if they had one....i found a cheap socket set but i had to pull part of the plastic connector off the old sensor. bear in mind I already took one sensor back cause the connector didn't fit the right plug..i got the one that does fit it and i finally removed the old one to see.....the threads were the wrong size.so now it's 11 50 at night with work tomorrow and no car to drive. the first sensor was the only one autozone had for the honda but it didn't fit. so i got the part number from a forum for the tw sensor and the connector fit.....but the threads didn't match. this is turning into a major bitch.

Demon1024
04-26-2009, 09:13 PM
those things arent cheap
if i remember right it was like 40-60$
once you get the right part it wont take you 3 min. man
is it getting hard to start when it's hot?
test it with an ohmmeter first like was said (great advice there btw,never thought bout it)

jasonrebellion
04-27-2009, 03:43 AM
yeah my ecu is throwing out 6 flashes and its a little hard to restart when warmed up ...kinda gotta pump the gas to get more air in it...and my I'm getting like 19 mpg. so I'm running rich. I also realized where i screwed up...apparently i pulled out the radiator fan switch and not the tw sensor... so now hopefully autozone has the one i special ordered still so i can buy it again and a radiator fan switch. lol.

Jason

jasonrebellion
04-27-2009, 06:03 AM
well i bought the fan switch and another coolant temp sensor....pgm-fi light is gone and ecu is showing no faults. only issue is the fan switch connector will not snap on...it's like the plastic on the sensor is too long....but the fan comes on, so i may just secure it down on it with electrical tape. Those sensors and a battery were all I had to do to this car since i bought it for $350 bucks. It had 257,000 miles on it.