PDA

View Full Version : Who has 2nd Gen prelude Upper Control Arms. Gotta a ?

phillie
04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Did you have to use washers or spacers to make them work or did you just install them and adjust the camber?

Strugglebucket
04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
You have to use fender washers on both sides to space out the anchor bolts. Otherwise, they will not line up with the accord's mounting holes.

There is a thread that explains everything in the How To section, but it looks like the pictures are gone: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57131

p.s. I remember someone on the board saying that they were able to use 3rd gen Prelude arms without having to do any modifications, but I can't say for sure if that works or not.

Joay
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
3G Prelude arms have a lessened range of adjustment anyway.

phillie
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks. I don't want to run into any surprises.

guaynabo89
04-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Use washers on the rear facing side only to keep them in the correct position. Using washers on both sides of the arm will cause the arm to sit farther back than the Accord arm and trhowing caster out of spec.

Even with all the washers towards the rear of the car with the arm as far forward as it will go the 2g prelude arm still doesnt sit as far torwards the front of the car as the original accord arms.

markmdz89hatch
04-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Use washers on the rear facing side only to keep them in the correct position. Using washers on both sides of the arm will cause the arm to sit farther back than the Accord arm and trhowing caster out of spec.

Even with all the washers towards the rear of the car with the arm as far forward as it will go the 2g prelude arm still doesnt sit as far torwards the front of the car as the original accord arms.

That's the first I've heard of this. So regardless of the adjustability offered by the 'lude arms, we do not benefit at all by them because they can't correct bad camber resulting from lowering the car? Seriously though, the length at full extension really isn't even equal to that of the stock 3G arm?

Is there enough meat on the arm itself to extend the notch that the ball-joint bolts into?

thegreatdane
04-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I think you should weld on an extension to the arm if you want to elongate the ball joint holes.

Oldblueaccord
04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
That's the first I've heard of this. So regardless of the adjustability offered by the 'lude arms, we do not benefit at all by them because they can't correct bad camber resulting from lowering the car? Seriously though, the length at full extension really isn't even equal to that of the stock 3G arm?

Is there enough meat on the arm itself to extend the notch that the ball-joint bolts into?

hes talking caster not camber.

wp

Bglad420
07-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Bump on an old thread... But I want to clarify a couple things. How much camber can you get if they are maxed out? I'm looking for -3 if possible, and if you dont use washers when putting them on you increase your caster towards the rear? (Which is good in my case for racing)

import racer
07-24-2010, 03:41 PM
The 3rd gen prelude arms fit without modificatons,but has less adjustabillity.

Bglad420
07-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I"m asking about the 2g lude arms

mykwikcoupe
07-24-2010, 10:20 PM

I would challenge that they wont work any better. On my car Ive got the ingalls camber kit as well as 2nd gen arms. Ive installed all washers to the reward side of the arm as stated in a previous post and with the ingalls kit set in the middle hole I have the 2nd gen kit at min travel distance or recessed as far as can be. The ingalls kit is set to 1.5 degrees I believe. Im sure the 2nd gen arm would easily make up for this or more.

Strugglebucket
07-25-2010, 12:14 AM
Bump on an old thread... But I want to clarify a couple things. How much camber can you get if they are maxed out? I'm looking for -3 if possible, and if you dont use washers when putting them on you increase your caster towards the rear? (Which is good in my case for racing)

How much camber you can get depends on your suspension height and also your caster setting. The lower you are the more negative camber. The more positive caster you add the less negative camber possible. I'm lowered 2 1/4" with 215/45/16 tires and 4deg caster. I extended the slots on my arms about 1/2" and at max adjustment I get around -2.5deg camber.

With the prelude arms you have to use washers or spacers to line the pivot bolts up with the accord mounting holes. But if you wanted more caster you could put all the washers towards the front of the car instead of an even amount front and rear. I have 3 fender washers on either side and with 4deg caster there is about 3/4" of thread left on the radius rods if I wanted to add more. But then I would have to slot the UCAs more to keep the same amount of camber.

You could also swap sides with the stock arms and get more caster. As long as you're lowered enough you could still have a decent amount of camber as well.